INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Burning - MC12 uses too many discs  (Read 2297 times)

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
CD Burning - MC12 uses too many discs
« on: October 26, 2006, 12:45:20 am »

I just selected 28 tracks to burn as an mp3 data disc. 

These tracks are currently in APE format and take up 827mb.  After conversion to mp3, they should take considerably less space and fit comfortably on a 700mb cdr.

It seems MC12 is taking the pre-transcoded file size to determine how many discs are required for a burn.  MC11 used to warn me when the pre-transcoded files sizes exceeded the 700mb limit, but would transcode and burn, using the full 700mb of space.  MC11 would have burned these 28 tracks to ONE CDR.

But MC12 says I need 2 discs ?  And when burning it burns one disc and then asks for another.

The first disc it burned and closed has only 278mb burned.

How can I get MC12 (like MC11 did) to utilize the full 700mb on a CDR for burning when converting from APE to MP3?

Am I the only one who has tried this?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: CD Burning - MC12 uses too many discs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 02:47:24 am »

I just selected 28 tracks to burn as an mp3 data disc. 

These tracks are currently in APE format and take up 827mb.  After conversion to mp3, they should take considerably less space and fit comfortably on a 700mb cdr.

It seems MC12 is taking the pre-transcoded file size to determine how many discs are required for a burn.  MC11 used to warn me when the pre-transcoded files sizes exceeded the 700mb limit, but would transcode and burn, using the full 700mb of space.  MC11 would have burned these 28 tracks to ONE CDR.

But MC12 says I need 2 discs ?  And when burning it burns one disc and then asks for another.

The first disc it burned and closed has only 278mb burned.

How can I get MC12 (like MC11 did) to utilize the full 700mb on a CDR for burning when converting from APE to MP3?

I have not yet burned discs with MC12. Perhaps I should test burning with a couple of CD-RW discs.

For now, a workaround could be to define a HD folder as a handheld, make a burn playlist and synch this list with the virtual handheld using the "convert when needed option".

After the synch the mp3 files can be directly dragged to a burn queue from Windows Explorer.

I have used this system also with MC11.1. I recycle CD-RW discs and I reburn old burn playlists from time to time. (I have saved a few dozens of them. Why throw away carefully made, ready to use compilation playlists?)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 04:11:19 am »

For now, a workaround could be to define a HD folder as a handheld, make a burn playlist and synch this list with the virtual handheld using the "convert when needed option".

Actually, my workaround is to use MC11...     it burns this set of files perfectly.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 04:33:34 am »

I guess MC12 has changed internally more than what is apparent or announced. Many things that are apparently not changed seem to have new bugs or changed behavior.

This makes beta testing MC12 a bit difficult because you cannot trust that all "unchanged" things work as before and consentrate trying only the announced changes. I suppose some of the involved code had to be rewritten just because it was dependent on some changed feature elsewhere.

Perhaps Matt could explain this from the developer's point of view.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 05:20:01 am »

This may be too late for MC12, but in the future I it would be easier for beta testers if the build threads would be like this:

Code: [Select]
Changed: item X and a description of the change
   Possibly affected dependent features and program functions
   - item A
   - item B
   - item C

Fixed: item Y and a description of the fix
   - item B
   - item F

New: item Z and a description of it
   - item A
   - item C
   - item E
   - item G

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:03:03 am »

This may be too late for MC12, but in the future I it would be easier for beta testers if the build threads would be like this:

I hate when my testers ask me for info like this.... but is very helpful if I can guide them to what may be affected.

Lets hope this problem is easy to "undo" for the MC developers.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 07:30:24 am »

Please try the next MC build, the bug should be fixed.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 09:57:37 am »

Please try the next MC build, the bug should be fixed.

12.0.102 seems to have fixed it.  I will do further testing this weekend to see how it handles burns with conversions from ape to mp3 much closer to the cdr size limit.

Last night I tried to burn 900mb of ape files as mpe3 to cdr and this version worked fine.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 05:31:22 pm »

There still seems to be a problem with burning at the edges of a cdr capacity.

The stated capacity of the blank is 700mb and there is always 702 or 703mb available.

So this 699mb set of tracks should have burned to a single cd.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 11:04:57 am »

Are there any plans to fix this issue?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 11:30:50 am »

A few MB are reserved for table-of-contents data.  This is expected.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 12:10:19 pm »

So this 699mb set of tracks should have burned to a single cd.

I do disc duplication at work as one of my primary job responsibilities.  Pushing right up to the limit of the disc capacity is most certainly not recommended if you care about the disc being read by a variety of readers.

I generally always like to use no more than 660 MB on a 700 MB disc.  Above that and many readers will start failing to read due to errors written at the outer edges of the disc (or you need to greatly reduce your burn speed).  With high-quality, inkjet printable, DVD-R media running about $0.27 ea. there's little reason not to just use another disc (or compressing that media a tiny bit more) instead of pushing it.

Of course, if you only want to read the disc on the drive that burned it, go ahead and overburn!  Just don't expect to send that disc to your buddy and have it work flawlessly.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 01:27:09 pm »

A few MB are reserved for table-of-contents data.  This is expected.

What is the mb limit that MC will allow a single disc burn? 

Isn't the mb required just an estimate?  I'm not sure the resulting file size from an APE to MP3 conversion can be totally estimated, especially if VBR is chosen.

I think there should be an override, to allow the set of files to try and burn to a single disc, to handle the cases where I know the data will fit, or I am using extra length discs (90 or 99 minute).

MC11 would "warn" me if the expected data would not fit on a disc, but still allow me to start the burn.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 01:33:18 pm »

Of course, if you only want to read the disc on the drive that burned it, go ahead and overburn!  Just don't expect to send that disc to your buddy and have it work flawlessly.

As I think I understand MC12, it will not allow me to overburn.

The cost of a blank CDR is not the issue.  My car has a 6 cd changer.  The more discs I need to burn a set of files, the less music I can load into my cd changer at any one time.  My car player will play 80, 90 and 99 minute cdr's.

If I remember right, MC11 would let me use the full capacity of 90 minute blanks, but would not let me use the full capacity of 99 minute blanks (Nero does).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 01:38:05 pm »

This has been discussed in the past.  Please try a search.

It's not an exact calculation, since conversion can vary and the directory size can vary.

I think if you aim at about 690MB, it should work.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 01:39:48 pm »

MC should detect the size of the blank you have in the drive. (it's not hard coded at any set size)

MC 11 did allow overburning, whereas MC 12 splits to multiple discs.  We'll consider an overburn option for MC 12.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 04:13:48 pm »

MC should detect the size of the blank you have in the drive. (it's not hard coded at any set size)

The 99 minute blanks report they are 90 minutes to software.  Yes I know it's bad disc manufacturing reporting the wrong info to MC.  Nero lets me do whatever I want...  Yes overburning or tricking the software about disc capacity is an expert (or dummy...) request, but really, MC is for experts, who are willing to try things and look under the covers.

MC 11 did allow overburning, whereas MC 12 splits to multiple discs.  We'll consider an overburn option for MC 12.

Thank you.  The current system is fine, if some type of "ignore disc size" option, like a check box or something in the burn dialog..
Pages: [1]   Go Up