INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a USB drive like a portable player  (Read 799 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Using a USB drive like a portable player
« on: November 09, 2006, 02:06:21 am »

At the moment, I keep my library, and about 60% of my music, on a portable usb drive, and have my home and work computer set to recognise that drive as "G:". This means that anytime i listen to my music, the same bunch of files is being updated and having their tag info written to them.

This all works well for me, but it isnt so great when my girlfriend want to listen to music on my home pc when I'm not there. I have the library files and music with me, so she cant access them. I know that I could make a new library for her to access, when my usb drive isnt connected, and point it to my backup audio files, but then playcounts, ratings etc. would get all out of synch.

The ideal solution for me would be:
Keep all files on the main pc at home.
Set up my usb drive as a portable device and synch a bunch of albums onto it.
Create a duplicate of my main library onto a usb drive every morning, and use it at work with some kind of "Only show files that exist" viewscheme. (Of course, I'd have to set the usb drive to the same letter as the drive containing the music at home, so that the file paths still all match).
Go home and do another synch between my usb drive and my home PC, so that any tag changes in the files would be put back into the main library.

This seems almost possible to do now without any changes to MC, and simpler (for the developers) than trying to synch 2 libraries perhaps. The only thing that is missing is upon synch, I dont think all tags for files are synched. Am I right?
The way around this would be to do a "Update tags from library" on the work computer before i go home, and the reverse on the home pc later. But the problem with that soution is that MC cant write tags to certain file types.

Another idea i had was to keep everything on a network drive at home and accessing the share as a mapped drive from work. But I'm not having much luck getting that to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up