INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AlexB: Album Gain  (Read 1566 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
AlexB: Album Gain
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:36:37 am »

15. Changed: The "Album Gain" for a file with no album is now the same as the track gain for that file. (so it's treated like an album of one)

I couldn't make this work in a quick test.

I added an analyzed, but unimported MP3 file (thus without the album gain value) to a PN playlist of several files that had the album gain value. This made all files in a PN playlist play without the "Automatic based on current playlist" adjustment in the Album mode.

The same happened in the Track mode when I added an unimported & unanalyzed wave file to PN.

Also, this wave file played always at the same unadjusted volume, with or without other analyzed files in the PN playlist.

If you can't easily reproduce this I'll do more testing and post a detailed report.

EDIT

I think you have made a mistake when designing this function. You have made MC12 to automatically copy the track gain value to the album gain field and thus change the library data.

I have a folder that contains 2800 various old single tracks with partly incomplete tags. These files are imported and analyzed. Several of them have identical album names even though they are from different sources and are not from the same album or recorded at the same volume level. In an MC11.1 library most of the files have correctly only the track Replay Gain value.

Now after this change the library data shows new album gain values. Many of these Album Gain values are now incorrectly the same for completely separate tracks because they have the same album tag. Also, these values are now incorrectly different from the Track Gain values.

This explains also why the analyzed, but unimported MP3 file was not replay gain corrected at all in the album mode.

You should not have touched the library logic, which worked pretty well.

This change should happen only in the playback DSP module:
1. Read and use the Album Gain value as before
2. If the Album Gain field is empty read and use the Track Gain value instead.
3. If both values are empty use the "automatic average" system, which seems to be not working at the moment  --- or perhaps the user defined value option if introduced. This "number 3" needs more testing and discussion after the possible bug is fixed so that I can try it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: AlexB: Album Gain
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 10:07:03 am »

The Album Gain is always calculated as the average of the track gains for an album.

The only change made was to treat a file with no album as an album of one.  This means its Album Gain will be the same as its Track Gain.

If files have the same artist, album, and are in the same folder, MC will assume they are from the same album.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 02:25:15 pm »

So possibly I need to go through a full testing process for finding out how this change affects the file volume in various situations and if I should do something for correcting the files...  :P

Anyway,

- Unimported files don't work with this new system any better than with the old system. This was one of the reasons for asking MC to fall back to track gain mode if the album gain value is empty. Edit: I mean files that already have Replay Gain tags, but are not imported into the active library.

- An unanalyzed and unimported file that is included in the PN list is not corrected at all.

In both cases a file that has no album gain value changes the "automatic..." correction of all files in PN to zero.

For example, like this:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:43:34 pm »

That's a bug.  The automatic adjustment calculation wasn't dealing nicely with guess values.

Fixed next build.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:08:34 pm »

Thanks,

Please check also this other situation. An unimported file changes the adjustment to zero and does not use track instead of the empty album gain:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 04:00:32 pm »

The album analyzer doesn't even consider files that aren't in the library. (so they'll always have a blank album gain)

However, I like your earlier idea of using album gain for track gain at playback time. (and leaving album gain blank in the library views)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 04:04:06 pm »

Next build:
Changed: Unimported files now use the track replay gain for the album gain. (instead of having a blank album gain)

Hopefully that sorts everything out.

As always, thanks for all your help Alex.
Pages: [1]   Go Up