INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Codecs?  (Read 1531 times)

• World Citizen
Video Codecs?
« on: November 09, 2006, 02:20:40 pm »

I have some videos that I try and play with Media Center 11. When I double click on them it jumps to full screen but nothing plays.I am guessing this is a codec problem. The videos play perfectly in VLC media player. I have installed every codec possible but certain videos still don't play. Does anyone have a set bunch of codecs that they use that work for all their videos? Is there a way of incorporating VLC media player in to media center? I recently installed a copy of nero that I got with a DVD writer. I read on the internet that installing Nero can effect your current codecs. I used to be able to play any video I had but since Nero I can't play some videos and I can no longer play any DVD's. Someone please help!!!!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Codecs?????
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 02:53:04 pm »

I have some videos that I try and play with Media Center 11. When I double click on them it jumps to full screen but nothing plays.I am guessing this is a codec problem. The videos play perfectly in VLC media player. I have installed every codec possible but certain videos still don't play. Does anyone have a set bunch of codecs that they use that work for all their videos? Is there a way of incorporating VLC media player in to media center? I recently installed a copy of nero that I got with a DVD writer. I read on the internet that installing Nero can effect your current codecs. I used to be able to play any video I had but since Nero I can't play some videos and I can no longer play any DVD's. Someone please help!!!!!

Uninstall all your individual codecs and download and install the Combined Community Codec Pack.  It uses FFDSHOW as it's primary decoding filter, which is built-in to VLC player, and they come from the same libavcodec project.

It doesn't handle absolutely everything, but it should handle the vast majority of things you need.  I use it along with RealAlternative and Quicktime, and its very, very rare to run into a compression type I can't decode.

Installing any media player (which Nero includes) will typically affect your codecs, as they install their own and set them as the default DirectShow playback filters.  This can be changed using a filter manager such as Rad Light Filter manager (search here for it, I've posted links before a bunch).  I don't do this though, as CCCP will "take over" the filters when you install it, and if it ever gets screwed up it's easy to go into it's settings and tell it to Re-Register its filters.  Also, if you want MC to act differently than the other DirectShow players on the system (Media Player Classic, ZoomPlayer, and WiMP for example), you can actually override the regular DirectShow filter chains in MC12 and define your own.

Make sure to check out the CCCP FAQ before you install it to avoid any conflicts.  Also, FFDSHOW doesn't work well with Windows XP x64 or Windows Server 2003 x64 so don't use it if you're on those weird OSes.

I've posted a bunch about CCCP here before, so if you want more info, just search for CCCP and my name.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up