INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Number And Type of Panes Makes a Dramatic Difference in Startup  (Read 1386 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Number And Type of Panes Makes a Dramatic Difference in Startup
« on: November 09, 2006, 04:50:37 pm »

I had never considered my MC startup times satifactory, but I always thought that was the price one pays for a program with so many creeping features.  But recent discussions of startup times have made me realize that (once again) I am a statistical outlier.  People talking about 1- or 3-second start times, whereas I was glad to see MC go from ~20 seconds down to 7.  It turns out that it was entirely due to the complexity of my defualt view.

Today I tried loading my ~20,000 track audio library with a default Artist/Album view.  This replacing the 8-pane expression-laden pane setup I've been using.  My start time went from 7-seconds to somewhere south of 1/2 second.  I would call it neck-snappingly fast, and I've still got 29 columns in this view.  1/2 second for 29 columns.  It was all the panes that were slowing me down.

Now that it's so easy to add or edit panes (but not yet move them), I'm going to a much sparser setup, pane-wise.  And I take back all previous grumblings about slow startup.  How in the world jriver gets this much complexity to load so fast I will never figure out.  But my sincere thanks to the ingenuity of the jriver crew.

jgreen

Re: Number And Type of Panes Makes a Dramatic Difference in Startup
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 04:54:13 pm »

BTW, I love all the creeping features.  Keep 'em creeping!

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 05:06:59 pm »

How in the world jriver gets this much complexity to load so fast I will never figure out.  But my sincere thanks to the ingenuity of the jriver crew.
Me to! It's just incredible, how much faster this build is! Not only the start up time is ... phaenomenal, also the speed-up using MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 05:18:05 pm »

jgreen -

That's a good reason to keep your default (the top level Audio, Video, and Images) view schemes completely empty of panes.

I use child View Schemes underneath those top-level schemes for all of my actual "use" and treat the Audio, Video, and Images (and my other "All Media") schemes as simple folders.

When the panes aren't visible on startup, the load times stay reasonable.  It's only when MC needs to display them immediately (I assume you have it set to startup at Audio).

Another option is to set the startup location to Playing Now.  It's one extra click to get into Audio, but it's worth it in startup time!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 03:01:39 am »

I always start in Playing Now too. Faster, and maybe I forgot what I was doing before...
Pages: [1]   Go Up