INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSM-520 Locking up  (Read 9326 times)

Motorhead

• Recent member
  • Valhalla we are coming!
DSM-520 Locking up
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:59:17 pm »

I use MC 11.1 to stream music over my wireless network to my DSM-520, and both have been working perfectly since I first bought them months ago.  Immediately after upgrading the D-Link DSM-520 firmware to v1.02, the D-Link started locking up any time you attempt to play a file.

The error in the UPNP server log is:
"Cannot autodetect device, User-Agent: INTEL_NMPR/2.1 DLNADOC/1.00 REDSONIC-SH"

This appears to be an issue with the firmware upgrade, but I want to cover my bases.  D-Link suggested uninstalling, then re-installing their client software... which I have never used in the first place and don't intend to.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: DSM-520 Locking up
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:13:02 am »

Instead of using autodetect, try choosing the DSM from the list...

j

Motorhead

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 06:21:00 pm »

Thank you for the reply.  I did switch to auto-detect, and the DSM-520 still locks up.  The error in the UPNP log goes away, but I still can not play any files.  I also tried uninstalling, then re-installing MC11, and the problem persists.  I can browse files from the D-Link, but can not play anything.

D-Link replied that there is no way to go back a version on the firmware, and does not want to take responsibility for the issue.  They told me I'll have to use their server... which is really poor, especially if you are hooked on MC11.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions, I really miss my tunes!

Thanks,
Jeff

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 08:06:58 pm »

I stupidly upgraded without doing my research, and my DSM-520 does the same thing.  It also broke the ability to play XviD.  I've basically got a $200 doorstop at this point.

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 09:26:46 pm »

On further testing, it appears the DSM-520 firmware 1.02 specifically broke something with JRMediaCenter 11's UPnP.  MP3 streaming locks up the 520 immediately.  XviD files don't play at all and get a "Unable to open file" error.  The 1.02 firmware works with the DLink UPnP server as well as with Twonkyvision and Windows Media Sharing on the Vista Beta.  (FYI - I'm not running JR Media Center on Vista.)

I'd REALLY appreciate it if you guys would look at this.  Let me know what additional info you need.  Thanks.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 09:44:29 am »

I'll take a look...

j

Motorhead

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 03:12:32 pm »

I installed the D-Link media server just to see what would happen... man that is some awful software!  Lots of bugs, still would not stream MP3 files (everything else I have has been converted to FLAC, which is incompatible with D-Link MC).  I managed to play one avi file successfully, but the DSM-520 keeps locking up to the point where I have to unplug it, then plug it back in and start over.

I have a feeling this is more than just breaking something in the UPnP communications; it seems like the D-Link "upgrade" was not tested thoroughly, and should not have been released yet.  D-Link is taking a very long time to reply, so I'm right there with you on the $200 doorstop... :P

John, I have an extensive background in software/hardware testing.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Jeff

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 06:01:00 pm »

John,

Just so you know how I tested - I watched a short portion of an AVI (XviD) that I know worked fine on MC and firmware 1.01.  I was able to watch at least a part of the AVI in the UPnP servers listed above.  I didn't test MP3s in the other servers, and I didn't watch the whole AVI. 

My point is that Motorhead may be right that there is a larger problem with the firmware.  But my brief testing showed that AVI files would at least play on the other software and not on MC.

Motorhead's also right that the DLink Media Server is less than worthless.  Windows Media Connect and Vista Media Sharing are not in any way configurable.  None of the three even do a basic Artist-->Album view properly.  Without MC, the DSM-520 isn't worth much.

Motorhead - if you get DLink to make the 1.01 firmware available to you, PLEASE post in the thread.  I found a process to downgrade the DSM-320 (using dummy DNS entries and FTP site), but we would need the firmware to do the same to the 520.  DLink makes the old DSM-320 firmware available, but I can't find any old DSM-520 firmware.

Also, DLink doesn't actually manufacture the 520 (or they don't write the firmware for it).  I'm looking for the name of the company that does and will post here.  If DLink won't give up the old firmware, we may be able to get it from the other company.

Edit - the company that makes the DSM-520 is named RedSonic, according to this site:
http://www.suphammer.net/Hardware/DSM520

RedSonic:
http://www.redsonic.com/

Motorhead

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 11:18:07 pm »

Thanks 511PF.  At least I have someone to commiserate with :-\  ...and you obviously have some valuable experience.  I will definitely let you know if I can figure out a way to go back to 1.01, please do the same for me; I asked D-Link, and they said there is no way to do that.  They have not been very helpful in general though, so I consider the source.  We'll figure this thing out soon.  Thank you for the help!   8)

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 12:51:43 pm »

Any news on a fix for the DSM-520?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 01:00:22 pm »

No news, it'll be a couple of days, feel free to remind me.

j

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 12:22:43 pm »

Just a bump that we're still interested in a fix for this. 

For anyone else that's having this problem, TwonkyMedia does a decent job as a UPnP server.  I had disconnect problems with the DSM-520 and version 3.1, but version 3.0 seems to work well.  It's JUST a UPnP server and it doesn't have nearly the customization ability of MC, but it will work as a stopgap.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 04:21:41 am »

I haven't seen this mentioned
http://www.tversity.com/

It works with more media on my dsm-320 and is free + their forums are a great place for  info about media players like the 320/520

Motorhead

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 10:47:36 am »

Any update on an MC fix yet?

I just got my DSM-520 replacement.  The old one was declared hopeless by D-Link themselves after much haggling.  I had upgraded to v1.03, and it stopped working with any media server. 

The one they sent me is on version 1.00, and will not currently play files through MC.  I can see the content on the server, but it frequently errors, and just will not actually play a file.  No errors are showing in the UPnP log.  I am nervous about upgrading because you can not go back, and it sounds like v1.03 will not work with MC as it is today based on other input.

Thank you for your help!

- Jeff

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 10:02:10 am »

no news yet, but I haven't forgotten...

j

Motorhead

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 11:06:43 am »

Not to be pushy, but is there any estimate on date?  I have upgraded my D-Link to v1.02 (worked correctly this time), and am using it with the D-Link media software which is quite lame compared to JRiver MC. ;)  Since I have converted nearly my entire music collection (10,000 tunes) to FLAC, I can no longer listen to them through the D-Link until MC is compatible with v1.02.  I miss my tunes!  :'(  I have tried some other media servers like TVersity, but there is just no comparison... too many issues.

If there are any tests I can assist with, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff

keithjd

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 10:08:07 pm »

Any update on this issue?  I'm having the same problem.  Using Windows Media Connect, but man I'd like access to my library through Media Center.  thx!! --j

Motorhead

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 11:43:43 am »

This issue has been open over two months now, and has me looking for alternative media solutions.  Any chance we could get a date for a date to expect a fix? 

My primary reason for purchasing MC is that it worked so well with my DSM-520 during the trial period.  The MC product is better than anything else I have seen, so I really don't want to change my media solution if at all possible.

Thanks,
Motorhead

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 01:19:14 pm »

Hi Y'all,

I've been very busy, but I'll get to this soon, promise.

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 01:41:40 pm »

Hi Motorhead,

Would you help me do some testing here? Drop me an e-mail at gateley @ jriver.com please

Thanks,

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 10:40:02 am »

Anyone with a DSM520 able to help me with testing?

j

keithjd

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 09:10:36 pm »

I'm willing to help out.  I'll shoot you an email.

Jim

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 05:59:08 pm »

I sent an e-mail too.

haynesra

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 04:33:36 pm »

Any follow-up on the status of this issue?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 05:13:51 pm »

I'm working on it - making progress.

j

krupted

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 06:19:37 pm »

I help with this problem as well, if needed.   I just bought the dsm-520 and it came with 1.02.  i dont think its been upgraded since, as i dont know how, but i heard it was automatic anyway. 

i have the same problem, i can view the jrmc server just fine but as soon as i try to play it just hangs.     for now i use twonky on trial, as tversity wouldnt work either.   

will jrmc ever have video support for the server?   

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 10:42:55 am »

If you are using MC12, drop me an e-mail... gateley @ jriver.com

j

krupted

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 12:33:58 pm »

What type of problem is this looking like?  i cant imagine its that bad of a bug, but its been too  long for a fix.    honestly i wish d-link would get off their ass and do something, since the upnp worked before d-link screwed it up:rolleyes:

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 02:49:43 pm »

There's a problem in our code, but it's hard to track down because I don't have one in house.
If you are using MC12 and are willing to help me track it down, drop me an e-mail (address above).

Thanks,

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 09:49:17 am »

The remote debugging wasn't going well, so I ordered one. Thanks to everyone for the help...

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2006, 01:54:58 pm »

Fixed in MC 12.0.109 or higher.

Thanks EVERYONE for the help. It turns out it was a very simple fix once I had one in house...

j

Motorhead

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 10:00:04 am »

Great news!!!  Thank you very much for fixing this issue! ;D :D 8)

Just a few notes:

When using "autodetect", I frequently get errors like "11/11/06 08:54:38 - Cannot autodetect device, User-Agent: INTEL_NMPR/2.1 DLNADOC/1.00 REDSONIC-SH".  Occasionally it will detect, and set it as a DSM-320.  If I set it to just detect it as a DSM-320 instead of auto, it works.  I would prefer to be able to use auto because I plan on having more than one UPnP device.

Streaming FLAC files has multiple issues, usually ending in the old  ...Can't read/access memory at #####... followed by MC crashing completely.   I am using the latest FLAC encoder & decoder for MC12.  I have not had this issue with other file types yet.  I will start this in another thread since it seems unrelated to the DSM-520 locking up issue.

Thanks,
Motorhead

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2006, 10:59:00 am »

For autodetect issues, please copy and paste the relevant portion of the status page here.

j

krupted

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 04:38:25 pm »

well holy hell, this has been fixed for two weeks?!   ill have to try it, been a little busy lately.

THANK YOU though, i feel much better about this program knowing that the developers are putting genuine time and money into the software.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 05:13:51 pm »

... i feel much better about this program knowing that the developers are putting genuine time and money into the software.
Something north of $12 million and 120 man years so far.  I hope that's genuine.

krupted

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 05:58:16 pm »

really?   and here i thought it was just one guy in his basement staying up endless hours with potato chips on his stomach :D

krupted

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 11:00:53 am »

question-  is there any way to just 'play all' from my library?   with twonky, at the top of every list, even for genres, there would be an 'all' that would just select everything under that catagory and play it.    do i have to always make playlists to play everything at once?
Pages: [1]   Go Up