INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two and a half small feature requests  (Read 1697 times)

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
Two and a half small feature requests
« on: November 10, 2006, 06:04:48 pm »

1. I'd like a new "internally generated tag" to go along with date(year) and date(month): date(numeric_month).  This would always be two digits, e.g. 01 for January, 02 for February, ... 12 for December.

Reason: I generate directory names for podcasts from date(year)-date(month) and numeric_month would be much more useful, as it would sort naturally.  As it is, my directories sort as e.g. 2006-April, 2006-August, ... to 2006-September last

1a. If the MP3 file has nothing in its "date" tag, then automatically take that information from the "date created" metadata of the file for the date(year), etc., tags.

2. I would like an option to disable MC's feature of turning off the Windows "Start Navigation" sound.  Leave the default at "turn off start nav sound at MC startup" to avoid annoying people, but give me the option to tell MC to leave my Windows sounds alone!!! thank you very much. :D

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Two and a half small feature requests
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 07:13:19 pm »

1. I'd like a new "internally generated tag" to go along with date(year) and date(month): date(numeric_month).  This would always be two digits, e.g. 01 for January, 02 for February, ... 12 for December.

You can do this one for yourself. I made mine for photos, using year - month (yyyy - mm).

Open MC, click on tools > options > library then click on the "Add" button.

Give your field a name, I called mine filenamedate. Pop it out of the way in the "calculated" category.
Over on the right hand side of the dialogue, select "Calculated Data" and then paste the following into the template field:

formatdate([date,0],MM)

OK your way back out of there. You can now use [date (year)] - [filenamedate] to generate the directories you desire, and you have the freedom to use it anywhere else you so desire.

If you can't see yourself needing a two digit month field anywhere else, then use the following template instead:

formatdate([date,0],yyyy) - formatdate([date,0],MM)

and that will give you the directories you desire from a single field, [filenamedate]

I personally would not like to have MC doing the auto date thing you want in request 1a. No date is better than date created if you ask me.
You know you could get the year info from [date created] copied into your [date] fields with very little effort if you wanted?

as for #2, I'm not sure, i thought MC turned them back on after it closed?
they're turned off because that navigation noise keeps firing when you use "track info" display options.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 02:25:51 am »

1/2 is more than none, but less than some.

nausea...
nausea...
and we're gone!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rumba101

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 10:37:52 am »

Since we are in a feature requesting mood. Another feature I would like to see is something a la soundflavor, which gives recommendations by analyzing your soundfiles.  Furthermore it helps you generate playlists.  Some of us have huge libraries and haven't heard every single song in our libraries.  I would like help hearing other songs in my library that I could potentially like.  Being able to generate automatic playlists is also a big plus!

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:17:02 pm »

formatdate([date,0],yyyy) - formatdate([date,0],MM)

and that will give you the directories you desire from a single field, [filenamedate]

That's great! Thank you! It works perfectly. Now, why couldn't I find that in the help? And how did you find out about it?

( I omitted the spaces from mine, I like to conserve space on the screen of my car player )

I personally would not like to have MC doing the auto date thing you want in request 1a. No date is better than date created if you ask me.

For ordinary music tracks ripped from CDs I agree. But for podcasts it's darned convenient to organize them by date range. Otherwise I'd have way too many per directory.

You know you could get the year info from [date created] copied into your [date] fields with very little effort if you wanted?

Sure, but there are so many good features and options for tagging received podcasts as it is (it works VERY well IMO), this would seem to be an easy add.

obtw the formatdate function works fine in the Podcast tag and file renaming rules screen too.

as for #2, I'm not sure, i thought MC turned them back on after it closed?
they're turned off because that navigation noise keeps firing when you use "track info" display options.

I know.  It tries, but it doesn't always manage to turn them back on.  Anyway I like them on most of the time; if I want them off I'll turn them off myself.  As I said, I think this should be optional behavior.  (Hey, MC already has at least as many options as MS Word 4.0 did; a few more can't hurt!) Maybe there could be an easy-to-get-to on/off button on the main UI, too, to easily switch between "DJ mode" (where you don't want the sound) and "ripping/organizing/background music mode" (where I do). 

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 04:14:50 am »

I would like to see is something a la soundflavor, which gives recommendations by analyzing your soundfiles. 
http://www.soundflavor.com/

that company realeased its product 2 weeks ago !!!

Their website is very scant on technical details. How well does it work ?

Wonder if they are using tech from this this company. (heh, course they do).

Which makes me wonder what their value-add is exactly ?

Musicip (formerly known as predixis has been doing this from some time now).
Pages: [1]   Go Up