INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In Search of Media Center Software to suit my needs  (Read 2152 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
In Search of Media Center Software to suit my needs
« on: November 11, 2006, 11:54:01 pm »

Hi,
I've become a veteran at trying different Media Center software but can not find a single prog that supports my environment and am hoping that MC may be my perfect solution.  I've read the FAQ and some posts but before I download the trail I thought I'd check for comments on my requirements which are:

Hardware Setup and Support:
1) S/PDIF passthrough (for external DD/DTS decoding by Yami Amp)
2) DVI-HDMI from 6200TC (Nvidia) to the Amp to a Hitachi Plasma
3) MCE Remote Control / Keyboard (really need the 10FT I'F with the IR remote for Wife / Kids)
4) DVICO Plus DVB-T Tuner for Australia (happy to test http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36811.0)

File Support (these are the ones that have causes me probs with other S'W - see below for comparison):
1) WMA Lossless for Audio Files (my primary Audio ripping format)
2) Muxed MPEG/DTS and MPEG/DD files (my primary Music Video Ripping format)
3) DV Type 1 & 2 in Anomorphic 16:9 - AVI container (home videos from my JVC DV Camcorder)

I have so far tried in my search:
1) Media Portal / MS Media Center - both use the Microsoft File DEMUXER which does not support DTS sound tracks in Muxed MPEG/DTS files (made from Music DVD's I own but broken up by chaper into files).  This is demuxer does not have an Audio pin out for DTS pin out so will never work and is not a CODEC issue - (note: the MS DVD Demuxer obviously does support DTS and works fine).
1a) Tried using VLC (its demuxer DTS friendly) as the "video plugin" but VLC has problems with DV files and you lose functionality
2) Nero Home - plays most things but suffers from lots of annoying bugs including Video Tearing / frame dropping when compared to Showtime and their support is poor - This is my current software.
3) Seasam - DVB-T support does not work properly

Hope to be a loyal MC fan soon!
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: In Search of Media Center Software to suit my needs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 01:43:23 pm »

Sorry to give this a bump but does anyone have any comments?
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 02:07:58 pm »

My comment is that your best bet is to try it, since there is a free trial.   ;D

But, to address a few of the issues you listed that I happen to know about...

1) S/PDIF passthrough (for external DD/DTS decoding by Yami Amp)

I believe this will work.  I'm no expert, but I know some other users are happily using SPDIF passthrough.  Depends on the DirectShow filters you are using for playback, but I'm reasonably sure that FFDSHOW can do it (I know it has SPDIF passthrough and DTS splitter support).

2) DVI-HDMI from 6200TC (Nvidia) to the Amp to a Hitachi Plasma

MC has full support of multiple displays.  If Windows can see the Hitachi then it should work.  If your video card is somehow feeding audio into the HDMI port then that should work too (some do and some don't -- I don't know that one).

3) MCE Remote Control / Keyboard (really need the 10FT I'F with the IR remote for Wife / Kids)

MC has some built-in remote control support, but for full control it's best to use a third-party solution like Girder.  MC works wonderfully with Girder.

4) DVICO Plus DVB-T Tuner for Australia

No idea.

File Support (these are the ones that have causes me probs with other S'W - see below for comparison):
2) Muxed MPEG/DTS and MPEG/DD files (my primary Music Video Ripping format)
3) DV Type 1 & 2 in Anomorphic 16:9 - AVI container (home videos from my JVC DV Camcorder)

MC is a DirectShow player, like Media Player Classic or ZoomPlayer (or Windows Media Player too).  This means it uses the installed DirectShow filters and codecs on your system for much of it's video playback (and some of it's audio playback).  If you have filters installed that can properly handle the file format, then MC will generally be able to handle it.  MC12 does have a new built-in DirectShow filter configuration utility so that you can manage the filter chains individually on a per-file-type basis from within MC (and do so without affecting the rest of the system).

JimH posted a comprehensive list here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36432.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 02:53:26 pm »

What glynor said and:

1) S/PDIF passthrough (for external DD/DTS decoding by Yami Amp)...

This works fine on my HTPC with my DivX/XviD/DD/DTS avi files and with my uncompressed  DVD "backups" (all DVD files in a file folder).

I use the pass through option in AC3Filter for 48 kHz DD/DTS video soundtracks and MC's own playback engine for bit perfect playback of 44.1 kHz DTS wave files (only certain soundcards have bit perfect support for 44.1 kHz audio streams).

MC supports natively WMA. It can rip in secure mode directly in WMA Lossless format. Tagging and file conversions are fully supported.

WMP11 codecs may not be fully supported in MC11.1 yet. If you have installed WMP11 you may want to try MC12 beta. Actually, you may want to try MC12 anyway.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 03:36:41 pm »

And It Comes With Music Geek Squad Support.

Alex B, Glynor etc...

;D
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 03:51:59 pm »

Actually, you may want to try MC12 anyway.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

It's Just BetterTM, especially for video playback and management.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 01:50:40 am »

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a burl and pray  ;D - only prob is I've had to rebuild my PC from scratch a few times when trying various S'W as I've got the dreaded Direct Draw "Not Available" problem that ends up surfacing with multiple install / uninstall for me!

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 02:43:05 am »

I've done an install (12 Beta) on another PC to test the file support but looks like MPEG/DTS files are a prob - will post under that forum!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up