INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has Media Center the most functions of all media applications?  (Read 1868 times)

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
Has Media Center the most functions of all media applications?
« on: November 12, 2006, 09:31:23 am »

Itīs only a interesting thing. I love this program  ::) because of its functions but can I find one which has more. I donīt think so. :).?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Has Media Center the most functions of all media applications?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:43:57 am »

It's interesting to reminisce.  This past summer I was getting ready to format all our household computers like I do every summer.  I was desperately searching for an iTunes alternative because I was sick of how iTunes handled everything.  I have to trick it to find the database so each user account uses their own database.

Unfortunately, all I saw was the standard, crappy players I've normally seen.  So I reformatted and setup iTunes--yuck.  A few weeks later, I came up with this brilliant idea since I had so much free time that I should re-rip to FLAC.  So, I went to the flac site and was trying to figure out what I needed to do it.  I viewed their list of players, etc., and holy goodness.  MEDIA CENTER.  I saw it was not free but went to it anyway.

I was quite impressed upon first impression.  Ever since then, I have always used MC.  I reformatted a few weeks ago once more and didn't even bother installing iTunes.  If I need iTunes, I'll run it in a virtual PC installation because I don't want to deal with its stupidity.

The one worry I had upon working with MC was that it would not store its preferences in the database for songs.  And my worry was true--it doesn't store very many settings.  So that is still my biggest request because then, after pointing a computer to the library, the settings would be set.

I did create a .reg file with my settings, though, and I can open that.  It will update most settings I need so that's not too bad.  Overall, I'm very happy I've found MC.  Funny how I found it through a free program: FLAC.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 10:35:35 am »

Try compariing like for like

free vs. other free & paid vs. other paid.

helium is one of the closer competitors in this regard.

...apples & oranges from that point on.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:18:17 am »

i think for sound files this is one of the best and most complete programs, if not the best. i love it.

for videos and dvdīs it works great also.

for images, no. its very basic, wich would be fine with me, but a part of these basic things are to far hidden behind mouse moves. for instance the image editor is not available when rightclicking on an image, you have to go out of display view and to the  playing now list and go to the file itself and rightclick to find it. just took 300 pictures from my camara and changing the orientation of about 100 of them is a hell. a simple keyboard shortcut for something basic like that, that you find in every normal picture viewer, would solve everything. ive spent the last hour looking for an alternative for my picture database but rather keep those things inside mc. end of rant.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 01:51:44 pm »

Image rotation is available in all views, from the main menu and also the right-click menu.

It can also be made a toolbar button for quick access.

We've put a lot of time into image organization and playback with MC.  If you get stumped, post here and you'll find help.  There's no need to rant.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 02:05:17 pm »

Image rotation is available in all views, from the main menu and also the right-click menu.

It can also be made a toolbar button for quick access.

yes. im not saying it isnt, but it is annoying, in a submenu. i can change effects modes (where do i need that for) etc all with a shortcut, but a standard task when you use mc to get images from a camera, like changing rotations is very annoying . the toolbar button does not work as good as they should (see the 106 and 111 threads), and you still have to go out of display view, because i can not put it in the displayview toolbar.

gappie

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:56:07 am »

We've put a lot of time into image organization and playback with MC.  If you get stumped, post here and you'll find help.  There's no need to rant.

this was not here when i reacted yesterday evening. so sorry for bumping it.

I really think you guys did a great job with mc12, and i said that before. The 'end of rant' was ment also a bit sarcastic about myself, writing away my frustration at that moment. I did ask about this when i was using mc11 and i also started a thread about it a month ago. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36491.0

It was not my intention to steal the thread, but to give my opinion on what the first poster stated. But at least i got a reaction now.  :)  Although it does not give me much hope.

im sorry if i was to harsh.  :)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:47:03 am »

I think that the image rotation and other image only tools should be on the image viewschemes' viewheader toolbar. Context specific tools in the places where you use them is the way to go. No need to waste space and busy the main toolbar with tools you only use in one place.

Same for "add feed" Should be in the podcast section.

(Not ranting. Just suggesting  ;D)

dNj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 09:48:00 am »

Wikipedia Comparison of Media Players. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_media_players
Pages: [1]   Go Up