INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Fields?  (Read 1004 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Changing Fields?
« on: November 12, 2006, 09:37:59 am »

Is there a way to once and for all change all the fields?  I know each view stores its own view info (or I think it does).  I would like to setup a standard view for everything.

Also, have you considered the defaults?  Perhaps they should be reevaluated.  I like to use iTunes as a general suggestion for ease of use since Apple goes for ease of use without embracing new features as much.

It seems like Filename shouldn't be shown at all.  Bitrate also seems unnecessary.  Just think of the average music listener.  While I know kids are not the most likely MC users, but I was talking to a kid, also a freshman in college, and could not get across the point of FLAC.  Kids obviously see no advantage to FLAC.  But, the point here is that when I got to MP3 qualities, he didn't seem to have any opinion on bitrate.  I said I ripped my collection at 128Kb mp3 about 5 years ago and could notice bad distortions in the high end especially.  He didn't really care at all.  Generally, it seems like this field just wastes space.

You could also add number of plays to the defaults.  That is very useful to many people and is standard in iTunes.

Tough issue, I know!

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Re: Changing Fields?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:56:36 am »

Right-Click on your current view scheme, go to

View Settings / Customize Current View

modify Columns To Show and Sorting according to your preference.

Click the Preset button adjacent to each section, and save your preference as a preset.

If you create a new view scheme, just do the same thing, but LOAD your existing preset.

This works just perfectly. There is no way that the developers can make the defaults perfect for everyone, but you have a lot of choice when it comes to how you wish to view your files.

It might be nice to have an option like "save this view as the default" or something, but I find I use the same few basic view schemes all the time.

My 2c worth...
Cheers
Rob

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Changing Fields?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:06:43 am »

I actually find view schemes worthless for my situation.  Perhaps I don't know how to use them correctly?

All I EVER use is the top level Audio, Images, & Video.  Other than that, I do use my playlists quite often and Now Playing from time to time.

Is there a way to have certain items, like Playlists, always expanded?  I hate having to expand it each time I want to use it.

In general, babies should not smoke.  It's not good practice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up