INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find and Replace (Library info only)  (Read 1144 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Find and Replace (Library info only)
« on: November 13, 2006, 12:42:41 am »

Hi,

I would really love the ability to change paths, rename files etc. of just the library info.

Currently MC attempts to move/copy files if you try to do a find/replace on the filename (path) field.  The only way to circumvent this is to disconnect the drives involved so that only MC's library info gets changed. But this is a major pain in the bum.

Could there be a tick in the current tool that says "only change library info" or a seperate tool, clearly named? This used to be default behaviour of MC and I really miss it.

Kind of linked to this request:
If I am doing massive renaming and moving operations and auto import is turned on MC sometimes catches that files dont exist, and reimports new files, before i have a chance to make the relevant changes to the library info myself. It would be nice if there were a nice easy "Pause Auto-import" or ""Suspend Auto import" button or menu item somewhere.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Find and Replace (Library info only)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 01:56:27 am »

Auto-Import is wonderful, and all that, but seriously, I don't let it watch my main library files.

I have a lobby here, a waiting room, if you prefer. It's just an "incoming audio" directory. MC is set to rip there, downloads are are directed there too. Otto watches that and imports anything that lands there. I have a viewscheme set up that only shows files in the waiting room. Once these have been checked over and tagged correctly, I use the rename from properties tool to move them into the "library proper" beside all the other audio files, and that is the last Otto sees of them.

I genuinely feel it's better that way. I can do file upgrades and such like within the library proper without Otto intefering mid-way through the process.
That would take care of Otto for you, I'm not sure about the rest. When you say disconnecting is a PITA, I take it they're not internal hard drives? so, External USB ones? or mapped network drives?

I can recall just one time I wanted to change the field without moving the files, and back then, I just made a new directory and dropped the existing base directory into it using explorer, thus breaking every link in MC's library. After making the adjustments I needed, I just moved them all back again, putting everything back where MC expected to find it. You have to be more careful now though, because if Otto is watching your entire library, and he gets wind of what you're doing and can't find where you moved the files to, he'll empty your library for you!!!

I do remember, a looong time ago now, reading a post on this subject. Back then, the reason was for taking the library to different machines with different drive letters, or something along those lines. Was that you? If so, would you mind refreshing my memory?

-marko.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 03:07:11 am »

Nope that wasnt me.

My reason for using this tool atm is because my terastation is being naughty and might have to be sent back for some "treatment". I have moved everything over to a linkstation for now. But I got caught out and a bunch of m4a, and video files have been reimported (thus losing all of the tag info that was in the library for those files).

I like your idea of the waiting room. It sounds simple, and simple is good.
I was kind of enjoying being able to move files around in explorer and having MC keep everything linked up for me though.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 04:08:17 am »

Auto-Import is wonderful, and all that, but seriously, I don't let it watch my main library files.

I have a lobby here, a waiting room, if you prefer. It's just an "incoming audio" directory. MC is set to rip there, downloads are are directed there too. Otto watches that and imports anything that lands there. I have a viewscheme set up that only shows files in the waiting room. Once these have been checked over and tagged correctly, I use the rename from properties tool to move them into the "library proper" beside all the other audio files, and that is the last Otto sees of them.

I genuinely feel it's better that way. I can do file upgrades and such like within the library proper without Otto intefering mid-way through the process.
That would take care of Otto for you, I'm not sure about the rest. When you say disconnecting is a PITA, I take it they're not internal hard drives? so, External USB ones? or mapped network drives?

I can recall just one time I wanted to change the field without moving the files, and back then, I just made a new directory and dropped the existing base directory into it using explorer, thus breaking every link in MC's library. After making the adjustments I needed, I just moved them all back again, putting everything back where MC expected to find it. You have to be more careful now though, because if Otto is watching your entire library, and he gets wind of what you're doing and can't find where you moved the files to, he'll empty your library for you!!!

This is the biggest problem with Otto for me. The other maintaining options besides importing are not restricted to the watched folders. These options should be changed to be folder specific.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:26:50 am »

I was kind of enjoying being able to move files around in explorer and having MC keep everything linked up for me though.

I never move files around in explorer unless I'm upgrading files for better quality copies. Aside from that, I use MC exclusively for moving my files around, which naturally, keeps everything linked up too.

MC is a media file manager that puts a truly awesome level of control at our fingertips.

Alex:
This is the biggest problem with Otto for me. The other maintaining options besides importing are not restricted to the watched folders. These options should be changed to be folder specific.
I've followed your posts regarding this but never actually looked any closer at the problem. To date, using Otto the way I do, the only problem I had in the early days was with the system repeatedly removing and reimporting my remotely stored video files, and after a severe slap to the back of the head, followed by a visit to the fix links options, all has been good since.
Certainly, the way that the options are laid out, it was my impression that those tasks would only be carried out on watched folders, and although I've not run into trouble yet, I shall run some tests later to get a feel for the potential disasters waiting in the wings. On paper, you're exactly right, but before I latch onto your coat-tails, I need to see it myself. I'll get back to you soon regarding this.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up