INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Muxed MPEG/DTS File Playback Problem  (Read 5154 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Muxed MPEG/DTS File Playback Problem
« on: November 14, 2006, 02:51:07 am »

Hi, I am a newbie with a trial of the Beta (overal wish list at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=37021.0)

I have ripped my music DVD's by chapter to MPEG files and many of these have DTS sound tracks.  MC12 imports these but the thumbnail stays black.  When I try to play these files MC12 just stays on "opening" but gets no further. 

Note: These files play fine in VLC / Nero Show time but will not output audio in any prog using the MS File Demuxer as there is no pin out for DTS (this is not a CODEC problem)

Any ideas or does MC12 use the MS File Demuxer?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Muxed MPEG/DTS File Playback Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:19:41 am »

Do you have DTS/AC3 Source filter?

Download and unpack it into any folder. Then issue the follow command using Start -> Run:

regsvr32 "[path]\dtsac3source_20051125\Release Unicode\dtsac3source.ax"
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:23:51 am »

Sorry, I think I have misread your post. DTS/AC3 source works on DTS audio files.

Have you tried choosing different Source  and Splitter filters?

Tools -> Options  -> Playback -> DirectShow Playback Settings ...

choose file type and click Select Filters.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 01:00:07 am »

I'm getting excited :D!!!  The level of control looks fantastic & I've Half Solved my problem.  I now can play all my *.MPG files and while I now get sound from my muxed MPEG/DTS - still no Video.  I've set my source / other filters from as the following (cut and paste from Nero Showtime).  Any suggestions?
Filter list from Nero Showtime (where Selected in MC12)
 Default DirectSound Device (N-A)
 Video Renderer (N-A)
 Nero Sound Processor (Other Filter)
 Overlay Mixer (Other Filter)
 ffdshow Audio Decoder (Other Filter)
 Nero Subtitle (N-A)
 Nero Frame Capture (Other Filter)
 Nero DVD Decoder (Other Filter)
 Nero Splitter (Other Filter)
 Nero File Source (Async.) (Source Filter)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 07:04:28 am »

After selecting the set of filters, run it in MC. Right-click in the display area and check "DirectShow Filters".

Are the same set of filters used?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 07:14:33 am »

jmone,

How do you make these "MPEG/DTS" files? (programs, settings, etc)

If I had a sample file I could try it.

Or could you upload a sample somewhere and provide a link? (A few seconds of video would be enough).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 07:29:57 am »

Yep.  I'd be happy to try and figure it out as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 01:50:02 pm »

Thanks for all the assistance.

1) some of the Filters are "greyed" out and some like the "Nero DVD Decoder" have been replaced by the "Main Cencept MPEG Video Decoder".  I'll play some more tonight after work

2) I make these files direct from the DVD without any encoding (so to keep the exact Video / Audio quality) but want then by "track" so I can treat Music Videos just like Music Audio (build up play lists etc etc).  While no longer made & supported, DVD Decrypter has under Setting --> IFO Mode the option to select "By Chapter" under "File Splitting".  Once set you then enable "Stream Processing" in the main window and select the Audio / Video streams you want & DTS is very popular with many Music Vids.  DVD Decrypter then drops each "chapter" as a file onto your HDD, and all I do is the rename each VOB like they were an MP3 eg Track#-Song Title.MPG etc.  Will look at posting one somewhere when I get back!

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 02:22:20 pm »

1) some of the Filters are "greyed" out and some like the "Nero DVD Decoder" have been replaced by the "Main Cencept MPEG Video Decoder".  I'll play some more tonight after work

Filters with greyed out names in the list do not have accessible property pages. That is not a concern.

"Nero DVD Decoder" being replaced - DirectShow found it impossible to construct a graph using this filter. Maybe Nero does something special.

Try using a different decoder if one is available (since "Main Cencept MPEG Video Decoder" does not seem to work, you need to try something else).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 02:30:53 pm »

I'm reasonably sure that I can figure out how to play these given a sample.  I'm pretty sure that FFDSHOW would handle them fine, and that installing CCCP would fix it right up (or manually installing FFDSHOW or something from guliverkli).

Hopefully jmone will be able to provide a small sample.  I don't really have any DTS DVDs to test-rip.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 11:44:47 pm »

Hi - for those interested, http://www.savefile.com/files/50512 is an example MPEG/DTS Muxed MPG File from a DVD (Note: it is 38MB and the video is just a static image but the sound tracks is DTS)

Thanks!
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 11:54:35 pm »

I'll grab it tomorrow and play with it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 12:33:44 am »

Wooo Hooo - getting closer thanks to all so far!  I've now got SOUND and VIDEO on all types of MPG files by using the following combo:
Video Renderer
Default DirectSound Device
ffdshow Audio Decoder (Other Filter)
Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (Other Filter)
Nero Splitter (Other Filter)
Nero File Source (Async.)

Thanks Yaobing & glynor so far :).  I'm not sure the above is the "best" (some weird looking aspect ratio's but that is for later as I've been testing on another PC so as not to "stuff" my MCPC (which will no doubt have a different set of filters so any suggestions on other combos will be welcome!!!!!). 

Looks like the next steps are to install on my HTPC and see how I also go with Australian DVB-T, Microsoft IR K'Board/Mouse, and a 10FT I'F like the MediaPortal Port!!!!

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 03:07:32 am »

I'm reasonably sure that I can figure out how to play these given a sample.  I'm pretty sure that FFDSHOW would handle them fine, and that installing CCCP would fix it right up (or manually installing FFDSHOW or something from guliverkli).

Hopefully jmone will be able to provide a small sample.  I don't really have any DTS DVDs to test-rip.

Mmmm a FFDSHOW soln would be perfect as I could then get rid of Nero all together!
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 08:40:35 am »

It looks like your Nero Splitter is the key. It is the one that can get the DTS audio stream. So you can't get rid of Nero all together. Without Nero Splitter on my machine, I can not play the sample file, as you originally reported, MS MPEG demultiplexer just could not get the dts sound.

It is surprising that Nero Splitter did not seem to connect to Nero Video Decoder, but managed to connect to Cyberlink Video Decoder.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 01:50:09 pm »

As I expected (just thrilled that MC lets you CHOOSE you demuxer/splitter) - Thanks I'll have to play more after work on the other filters (one of the DVICO MPEG decoders seemed to work OK)
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 01:55:11 pm »

That test file worked fine on my work system using this DirectShow graph:

Code: [Select]
[Src]-->>--[A]-->[MPEG-2 Demultiplexer (mpg2splt.ax)]>--[B]-->[MPV Decoder Filter (Mpeg2DecFilter.ax)]>--[C]-->[Video Renderer]
I have Nero 6 installed on this system, but it didn't render it using that filter at all.  Both the MPEG-2 Demultiplexer and the MPV Decoder Filter come with CCCP and are installed/selected by default.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 01:57:27 pm »

That test file worked fine on my work system using this DirectShow graph:

[Src]-->>--[A]-->[MPEG-2 Demultiplexer (mpg2splt.ax)]>--[B]-->[MPV Decoder Filter (Mpeg2DecFilter.ax)]>--[C]-->[Video Renderer]
I have Nero 6 installed on this system, but it didn't render it using that filter at all.  Both the MPEG-2 Demultiplexer and the MPV Decoder Filter come with CCCP and are installed/selected by default.

But there is no audio branch in your graph, is there?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 02:03:23 pm »

Nope.  That just dawned on me.  The file seems to play but there's no sound at all.  I was initially just assuming that the audio was so short that I just didn't hear anything.  It's not graphing though...

It tries to render the Audio through HD DVD RT Muxer Filter, but it lists in "Item Details":

*** Problem ***   *** File Missing:

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 02:20:14 pm »

That was the problem. I could not find any splitter/demultimplexer filter on my system that recognize the audio stream.  We will just have to hope that Nero Splitter will play nice with other video decoders.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 02:42:14 pm »

It seems to work on my PC.

I have ticked "mpg" in MC's DS options, but I haven't selected any filters.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 03:10:25 pm »

Alex... Do you have any idea what Splitter you're using?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 04:02:45 pm »

It seems to work on my PC.

MC reports a splitter "Mpeg Splitter". That does not seem to be any of the Microsoft provided splitters/demux.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 04:31:04 pm »

Right... I saw that, which is why I asked.  Hoped he knew.

I looked at the file in a little more detail and I was able to manually build a graph in GraphEdit (using Nero Splitter, FFDSHOW audio decoder, and MPV decoder) that was able to play the file back correctly.  I also opened it up in TMPGEnc's Demuxer tool and looked at the streams.  It appears that none of the streams are "labeled" as Audio streams, which is why the regular demuxer is only giving a video output I would guess.  There are two "extra" streams, one of which contains the audio...

How are you creating these MPG files again?  Nevermind... I re-read above.  I wonder what would happen if you had DVD Decrypted de-mux the VOB's and then you re-muxed them together yourself using TMPGEnc or some other MPEG muxer (or just put them in a MKV file wrapper).

I might play with it a bit more tomorrow.  I'm too tired tonight...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 06:02:41 pm »

Alex... Do you have any idea what Splitter you're using?

The splitter appears to be this:

Gabest MPEG Splitter 1.0.0.1 (25112005)

(I deleted my previous post. It was redundant since I found the used filter combination.)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 07:19:37 pm »

- S/PDIF passthrough (for external DD/DTS decoding by Yami Amp)
- Muxed MPEG/DTS and MPEG/DD files (my primary Music Video Ripping format)
(From your post in MC11 forum)

Here's a filter nice filterpack (DFSP) that should do the trick together with ffdshow: http://www.degeelebosch.nl/corone/.

Alternatively, if DD/DTS pass-through has problems with ffdshow (it has S/PDIF options for these formats) you can try AC3Filter: http://www.ac3filter.net/  (Disable DD & DTS in ffdshow's audio options and configure AC3Filter to handle DD/DTS.)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 08:25:44 pm »

I just thought I'd say that in my brief testing this evening I had a lot of trouble with the Gabest MPEG Splitter (v1.0.0.3 so a newer one than is in that codec pack) such as crashing and refusing to play some of my MPEG files (such as the Democracy Now podcast -- which is a MP3 file that for some reason is now wrapped in a MPG file wrapper).

It did certainly work for the test file you provided, but so does Nero's Splitter.  I was planning on testing it a bit more rigorously tomorrow.  I'm sick and I'm too tired tonight!

Also... Alex.  You should probably update that copy of G-Spot.  Beta 05 is out now, and there were some bugs in the old ones.  One of which is that the older Betas didn't always list the entire filter graph (which is why the Gabest splitter didn't show up in your render in the screenshot above).

Beta 05 is pretty nice.  I haven't had any trouble with it thus far.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 12:40:09 am »

FYI - I've created alot of MPG files with this process (good for TV Series as well as Music DVD) and there are no probs wit the ones with PCM or DD audio, it is only those with a DTS track that seems to require a specific splitter! 
EDIT ----- The good thing with the ripping process is it is easy, quick and requires no reprocessing at all.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 04:55:21 am »

OK this is weird, on my HTPC I can now get sound fine (it is auto selecting the nero splitter) but NO video.  When I look at the filters being used there is a filter without any name, and if I select it it brings up what appears to be the config box for a video filter but reports no frames etc being processed.  I've tried a few differnt filter selections but it keeps selecting the nameless one.....Will try more combo's tommrow.
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 08:49:16 am »

If you download G-Spot (get the v2.60 b05 - 7 Nov 2006 version) and open the video file up with it, down at the bottom you can have it build the filter chain and then do a test render.

Click to enlarge.

The button circled in red (#1) will build the DirectShow filter graph and display what Microsoft's renderer will use, and then display it in the area circled in blue. (Button #2 will test the render in the little preview window to verify that it works.)

This should tell you what the weird "no-name" filter is.

Then, you can use a tool like the DirectShow Filter Manager or the Radlight Filter Manager to uninstall or disable the offending filter.

Tutorial on Changing the Selected Filter using RadLight  (using the DirectShow Filter Manager is similar)

The basic idea is that you want to raise the priority of the Nero Splitter to "preferred" (assuming that's what you want to use -- and if it works then I'd use it) and decrease the priority on the offending filter to "do not use".  Leave everything else alone and let DirectShow figure it out on it's own.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2007, 05:44:44 am »

I've had this file type working perfectly in MC under WINXPSP2 with the Nero File Source (Async) and Nero Spliter selected however on my Vista box these files will not even open in MC and even fail to be added during "Auto Import" - I get the following error message:

1653406: 7528: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: V:\MCPC\Video\Music Videos\Eagles - Hell Freezes Over\Eagles - 22 Seven Bridges Road.mpg
1653484: 7528: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add

Any ideas?
Thanks
Nathan

PS I can play them fine in Showtime with FFDShow Audio on the Vista Box
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up