INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to disable video auto-resume?  (Read 1447 times)

martychen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Is there a way to disable video auto-resume?
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:33:48 am »

I use media center as my karaoke player to play mpeg/VCD files (each about 4-5mins long), and each time it's trying to start to the middle or towards the end of the songs.  I realized that it's because of the auto-resume feature in Media Center.  My question is, can I disable this feature somehow?

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there a way to disable video auto-resume?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 01:23:53 am »

No. Hitting STOP twice will clear the bookmark though.

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 02:48:16 am »

No. Hitting STOP twice will clear the bookmark though.

Didn't know that, thanks for that nugget.

Martychen, before you start karaoke-ing you could select all your video and (in Tag mode) clear all bookmarks I suppose (it's the Bookmark tag).

martychen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:55:47 pm »

Wow, it works like a charm, now i can clear all the bookmarks in one shot!  Thanks!

Didn't know that, thanks for that nugget.

Martychen, before you start karaoke-ing you could select all your video and (in Tag mode) clear all bookmarks I suppose (it's the Bookmark tag).

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 10:13:45 pm »

On a related note, and I'm sure this idea has come up before, if a resume spot exists, MC should ask the user if they would like to resume from their previous spot or start from the beginning?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 02:59:54 am »

On a related note, and I'm sure this idea has come up before, if a resume spot exists, MC should ask the user if they would like to resume from their previous spot or start from the beginning?

Agreed. Sometimes when I'm watching recorded tv shows (in Theater View), I'm never really sure whether I've started playback from the beginning or from a bookmark beacause there's typically other people in my household who may have already watched the program and forgot to hit Stop twice to "rewind" to the beginning for the next person. This message would solve the problem.

Also, the double stop thingy to clear bookmarks is too cryptic. I also find it too easy for "trigger happy" users to accidently clear bookmarks. Of all the keys to use, STOP seems the worst choice to me. The previous track button (CTRL+L) makes more sense. That's the button you use when you want to go to the beginning of something.

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 04:38:48 am »

I personally wouldn't like to have any kind of popup. I don't use MC in a multi-user environment, and bookmarks as they are now fit my purposes really well. An option to turn it on/off seems to me like the all round pleaser.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 09:58:41 am »

I agree because the last thing you would want to do is accidentally double click stop.  In fact, that feature should be disabled and the asking what to do would replace it.  There could be a third option to clear the bookmark.

1) Continue From Bookmark
2) Start From Beginning
3) Clear Bookmark

Otherwise, option 2 would start from the beginning and theoretically, it could not overwrite the previously stored bookmark.

It starts getting complicated when you add the third option.  Yes or No questions are much simpler and less confusing to users so this probably wouldn't be the best idea, but it's possible.  Perhaps just:

Where would you like to start?
1) Start At Bookmark
2) Start Over
Pages: [1]   Go Up