INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion limitations?  (Read 668 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Conversion limitations?
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:48:26 pm »

I notice my server CPU at 100% whenever I'm streaming music that is converted.  How does this impact its quality?  What if I had all the processing power available?  Would the encoder be happy and not utilize everything available?  I know there is the faster lame encoder which is much faster but has only slightly lower quality.  How does this impact quality/performance?

I do think LAME can encode faster than real time for a song so does this mean that it is actually getting what it needs to get done done?  Does it work as fast as possible to get as far ahead and it just happens to get quite a ways ahead of where I am listening?  It's the situation where a video encoder can't keep up?  Does it just stall or what?  It seems like LAME doesn't stall but either this is because it fails gracefully and just lowers the quality or it actually goes faster than I need it to, etc?

What if I had two machines streaming at the same time?!  That would double the requirements which seem to be fully taken now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up