INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Couple of annoying ?bugs?  (Read 1561 times)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Couple of annoying ?bugs?
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:55:07 pm »

Hiya,
Two small things really getting me ATM-
1. Attempting to edit the tags for an AVI file, I get no option to define a track number. The sort by bit in the view suggests that a track number field should be available? FYI, the format of my video tags is-
Artist- Series name.
Album- Series number &/ or name EG. Startrek being subclassified under the different eras.
Track name- Obviously, episode title.
Track number- Episode number.
2. MC still won't import files with more than one full-stop in the name (Used for separating out the date on some of my MP3 files). I would appreciate either a fix, or some sort of script that can recursively remove these if anyone has one around. (Circa 15k files with this problem  :o )
3. Nuts, just found another one   ;) How do I remove the Google Video/ Youtube links please? Annoying as anything, and I'm definitely not about to use them.

Ty.

-Leezer-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Couple of annoying ?bugs?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 08:45:36 pm »

For #3:

Tools --> Options --> General --> Advanced --> Features.  Uncheck Web Media.

(Though I would say try them out.  They're surprisingly nifty even for a minute.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:59:44 am »

Cheers, got rid of that one.
Next little irritation, again I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or not- When editing the file associations, changes are not reflected in the filetypes to add to the library. I've got large numbers of RV files, which by default are not selected. Selecting them as a file association works nicely, but they don't import to the library until you edit the filetypes to import bit in the import dialouge.
Another one- There's no way to sort videos by title alphabetically. As per my initial post I'm using the genre as the initial classification (IE. Film, TV etc.), then artist being the further genre subclass (IE. SF, action etc.) I'm then further subclassing under album, which is primarily useful for multiple films/ series of the same thing, with the title finally being the episode/ film title itself. However, having said that, I do also want to sort by track number if one is available, which is more useful in a series.

I may be using a slightly odd way to build my library? Thoughts on that?

-Leezer-

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 07:48:14 am »

Hiya,
Two small things really getting me ATM-
1. Attempting to edit the tags for an AVI file, I get no option to define a track number. The sort by bit in the view suggests that a track number field should be available? FYI, the format of my video tags is-
Artist- Series name.
Album- Series number &/ or name EG. Startrek being subclassified under the different eras.
Track name- Obviously, episode title.
Track number- Episode number.

In a details view the "Track #" field is available normally. In AW>Tag only the "Show Tags In Current View" option can show this field. This is clearly a bug.

2. MC still won't import files with more than one full-stop in the name (Used for separating out the date on some of my MP3 files). I would appreciate either a fix, or some sort of script that can recursively remove these if anyone has one around. (Circa 15k files with this problem  :o )

I can't reproduce this. For example, MC can import a file named "The...Art....Of..Noise.04.....How......Rapid.mp3" fine. This is from a local XP/NTFS HD. Is your configuration anyhow special?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:56:40 am »

In a details view the "Track #" field is available normally. In AW>Tag only the "Show Tags In Current View" option can show this field. This is clearly a bug.

Yep.  You found another one!

I added it as a bug report to the build thread.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 04:58:17 pm »

I really need a brick wall here lol. I'm starting to suspect this is something to do with the overall library size, as opposed to a bug with the filenames-
Initially from a small test folder of 80 files, a mix of all sorts of stuff, this filename failed to import:
Silent Planet(08.10.2004).mp3
However, it played fine, and added to the library at the second attempt of scanning the folder. With the sheer number of files I've got, its a little hard to go through looking for indvidual missing files, but the library was down by a very large amount from what it should have been on a first test folder import, and the only common link I could see was the fact that there were multiple full-stops present in the missing filenames I checked. (Yes, my files really ought to follow some sort of naming convention, but I've been acquiring these for far too long now to start that, and so they stay as the original filename, with everything contained in the tags!)

Odd.

-Leezer-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 10:48:19 pm »

That seems very unlikely.  MC can handle a lot of files.

How big is this library?

(Have you checked the disk for errors and looked through the Windows Event Viewer for disk access errors?)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 06:39:55 pm »

My inital test folder (From the first post) was 7,172 files in 796 folders.
My primary library runs to somewhere in the reigon of 150,000 files- I'd have to check that number as it fluctuates quite regularly. (400 gigs of stuff, mostly MP3's, some Real Media, some AVI/ XVID & a few other odd files in something more eclectic)
Maybe clutching at straws here, but does MC object to any types of encoding for MP3 files? The non-importing file in my previous post is a 64kbps MP3 file, I believe encoded with LAME (Although I'm not certain), using ID3v2 tags.
Any characters MC objects to being used in ID3 tags?

Apologies if I'm being a little vauge for your liking- TBH I've got absolutely no idea what's going on, and the sheer number & varying nature of these files makes it very difficult to pinpoint precisely what's going wrong.

-Leezer-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 12:33:22 pm »

Many users here have libraries of well more than 300,000 files.  You're no where near those numbers.

(Once you do get running with MC it has a wonderful Rename Files from Properties tool to sort out your naming issues.)

It could possibly potentially be the low bitrate or some weird characters in the ID3 tags.  I know KingSparta had some problems with very-low-bitrate MP3 files with early builds of MC12, though they were all solved I believe.  Do you have a way you can post links to one or two of the offending files (Yahoo offers free web space and you can upload ZIPs)?  Someone here can take a look then.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 02:42:37 pm »

Hiya,
I'd rather not post any of the files I'm afraid.
Most of this stuff is OTR/ more general audio, with all sorts of other bits & peices added in and the copyright situation tends to vary wildly depending on who you speak to. This does mean that there will be large numbers of low bitrate files in there, which ties in with the earlier problems mentioned.

Silent Planet(08.10.2004).mp3 is interestingly enough a 40kbps MP3 @ 22050hz. The extended tag data has  I can't see anything unusual in the tags- Does MC modify them when it adds the file to the library?
This makes me think that there may be a very specific bug in MC's handling of low-bitrate files, as many of my low bitrate ones are fine. Without more details on why the previous problems were occuring, I'm speculating that its a combination of factors- Maybe a malformed ID3 tag coupled with an odd bitrate?

Easiest way I can think of to get round this is actually a re-encode of the offenders- Is there a way to print to a text file the complete paths to all files in MC12's library? I'm thinking of an exclude list so that I can simply re-encode all of the files not importing?

Primary trouble is I suppose that I didn't create these files lol. A huge number of different encoders, bitrates, tagging & naming conventions makes for a real pain in the neck when I try to sort them, and when something goes missing, its not pleasant trying to find it.

Edit: Quick update- Just found a very specific bug, with 100% reproducability. Not sure if it's MC or the decoder though.
Real media files with square brackets in the name will not add to the library. Applies to both RV & RA, but to as far as I'm aware no other filetypes. These files play fine when opened manually, just don't add.

Cheers

-Leezer-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 04:10:26 pm »

Regarding printing a file listing... Well, you could do this, but I think there are much easier ways.  First off, MC creates a log file every time it runs.  You can configure the information contained in this log by going to Help --> Logging and checking the items under "Types of Events to Log".

Generally, I keep just about all of these items checked, but sometimes if you are having an issue specific to one type of function (say, Importing) it's useful to check the box only for that (or sometimes related) type of events.  MC12 recently vastly improved the Import logging.

Running a manual import (Tools --> Run Auto-Import Now) and then checking the error log should be somewhat illuminating, and will list all of the files which failed to import.

However...

EDIT: I thought I had a great idea to move all the files in the directory from within MC to another directory on the same disk, and then the ones that'd be left would be the broken ones.  This would work if all the files were in the same folder (with no subfolders).  Unfortunately, since MC's Move/Copy tool has no way to preserve subdirectory structure (this would be really, really useful please please please) then there's no effective way to do it without messing everything up.

Again though, assuming that WiMP can play the files (and you said that MC could play them too I believe), MC should be able to import them.  I imagine that it would be very helpful for the developers to see a sample of one or two.  I'd wait till Monday and see if they ask in this thread for you to email them one (that way you wouldn't have to post them for the whole world to see).

MC12 is beta still and these are the exact types of bugs that we need to find to make it a better product!

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 07:37:25 pm »

I really do think I need a brick wall sometimes  ::)
This file is part of a free set, all encoded by Itunes & renamed to M4B to get recognised as audiobooks. MC simply doesn't want to know, neither importing or playing. Plays fine in Media Player classic & on the Ipod.
IIRC was originally a 64kbps MP3 file.
All the other 19 files in the set are fine.
http://rapidshare.com/files/4711480/Adventure_-_Hornblower_-_02_-_Horatio_Captures_the_Natividad.rar

The square brackets in filenames also appears to be a little more common than I originally thought- AVI (DIVX) files are doing it too.

-Leezer-
Pages: [1]   Go Up