INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple artist albums  (Read 1435 times)

Efjay

• World Citizen
Multiple artist albums
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:48:14 pm »

Is there a view scheme that will show the tracks an artist has on a multiple artists album that will, upon clicking on the album, also display all the tracks of that album. I can list all artists and it will show all albums their tracks appear on but when I click on files, it only shows that artists files rather than the whole album. Any help is appreciated.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Multiple artist albums
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 07:59:10 pm »

Is there a view scheme that will show the tracks an artist has on a multiple artists album that will, upon clicking on the album, also display all the tracks of that album. I can list all artists and it will show all albums their tracks appear on but when I click on files, it only shows that artists files rather than the whole album. Any help is appreciated.

Right-click > Locate > Album can show all album tracks, but I don't think a view scheme can be made to do exactly what you want.

I use [Album Artist (auto)] instead of [Artist] everywhere in my rules and view schemes.

This is from MC's Help:

Multiple Artist Albums

Media Center comes with a number of tools to help automatically identify compilation albums that include various artists.

Album Artist (auto)

This is a built-in automatic field.  It auto-completes as follows:

- If something is manually typed in the Album Artist field, that content is included in the Album Artist (auto) field as well.
- If the Album Artist field is empty, then the Album Artist (auto) field gets completed as follows:
     - Single-artist name in the case of a single-artist album.
     - (Multiple Artists) in the case of a multiple-artist album*.

* In order for (Multiple Artists) to appear automatically, the album must be in its own exclusive directory (i.e., if there are files from more than one album in a directory, the program will not label it as Multiple Artist).

Here is the logic. A track is a mix if all the files with the same [Album] value in the same directory:

- have more than one [Artist] value among them
- have no other [Album] values used by any other file in the same directory
- are Audio and have a non-empty [Album] value

Automatic Assorted

When you rename files (right click > Library Tools > Rename Files from Properties), the window that appears provides the option to "Use Assorted for [Artist] on multi-artist albums". This is just under the Directories Rule. When selected, the files will be saved in a directory called Assorted if you have included the [Artist] rule in the directory rule.

Example:

Artist: Stackabones, Album: Best of Truck Driving Songs

Directory Rule:
Base path: M:\Music\
Rule: [Artist]\[Album]
"Use Assorted [Artist] on multi-artist albums" is checked.

Result:
M:\Music\Assorted\Best of Truck Driving Songs\Filename rule

Complete Albums

Media Center can automatically display complete and incomplete albums. An album is considered complete if all the files with the same [Album] value in the same directory:

- are sequentially numbered tracks starting at 1
- have at least 2 files or 10 minutes of audio
- are Audio and have a non-empty [Album] value.

View Schemes for Multiple Artist Albums
Create the following scheme to view Multiple Artist Albums:

1. Right click on Audio in the tree.

2. Select Add View Scheme.

3. Click "Add", Standard View Item, and add the following:
- Album Type (shows multiple vs. single artist albums, and whether they are complete or incomplete). Note: you may have to scroll up the list to get Album Type. Press Ok.
- Repeat, and add Album

4. Or display fields for each of the items displayed in #3:  Album Type, Album Artist (auto), Complete Album, Album.

You can now quickly view your Multiple Artist albums, and better yet, you can view all of your complete and/or incomplete albums. Complete albums are indicated by a "1", and "0" displays incomplete albums.

These links have related information:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30774.msg212216#msg212216
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32740.msg224213#msg224213
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Efjay

• World Citizen
Re: Multiple artist albums
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 02:00:17 am »

Thanks. I'll see if this helps me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up