INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy Of Library In Converted Format  (Read 2563 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Copy Of Library In Converted Format
« on: November 27, 2006, 03:47:53 pm »

I have tried to create a copy of my library in a lower bitrate format (from lossless) for easy copy to the Zen Vision.  I was able to convert all the tracks fine but the only option was to use "Album/Artist" for the directory structure in the new location for the converted format.  So, I have several "(Multiple Artist)" albums that were split out.  The problem is that I imported the converted files into a new library but it no longer recognizes the Multiple Artist albums I guess because they are not in the same directories.  I can't find a way to group them in MC so that I can move them to a common directory.  Anyone have any advice?  Thanks.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: Copy Of Library In Converted Format
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 04:18:09 pm »

Can someone please help me out here?  How do I convert format and still maintain the (Multiple Artist) directories/grouping?

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 04:55:59 pm »

I was just about to post a feature request for this.

The options in the "Convert Files" dialog should allow the full directory structure capabilities that the ripper does. Considering how nicely feature-ful MC is I was surprised that this capability is missing.

I'm currently doing a mass format convert to a lower bitrate for my laptop.  It's annoying that it loses the directory structure. 

My preferred structure is Genre\Album artist(Auto)\Album .  Since I've been careful to set or override the Album artist tags, I SHOULD be able to import all those files into JRiver on the laptop, then "rename files from properties" to restore the structure.  But this doesn't help at all for portable devices.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 10:40:27 pm »

The options in the "Convert Files" dialog should allow the full directory structure capabilities that the ripper does. Considering how nicely feature-ful MC is I was surprised that this capability is missing.

I agree completely and also don't understand why this is not the case.

I just noticed that someone took the time to edit my original post but didn't bother to offer me any help.  I also took the time to specify details of my sync problems in another thread but never received any help there either.  I guess I'm not in "the club" but it would be nice to get some support on the rare occasions I need it...

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 02:25:39 am »

While we're here...

Some quick calculations told me that for my current library of almost 20,000 MP3 files  this conversion job would take about 6 days.

Ok, fine, it was more of an experiment anyway... after it had done about 2000 files I needed to interrupt the process. 

Later I restarted it.  I expected that it would look at the 2000 files it had already done, discover it had already done then and skip them, and then basically pick up where it left off... somewhat like robocopy in /mir(ror) mode.

But, no. VERY strange behavior: It looked at all 20,000 files (at the rate of about one a second) and decided there was no further work to do.  So it processed no more files.

Perhaps this dialog is meant for other things, but... there ought to be a way to maintain a lower-res/smaller shadow copy of the main library. 

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 02:57:12 am »

since 11.1 is done, you will have to request this in v12 (if its not there already), lobby for it, start a new thread on the 12.0 board with your recommendations & reasons why its *essential* to have.

Otherwise why would they pick your request over others, if you get traction from other users, your chances are good. I doubt you would be alone, being able to manage two libraries one lossless & lossy is a burning issue, the problem is how to do it in a seamless way without going backwards.

unless there's a workaround for this in 11.1

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 07:32:35 am »

I have tried to create a copy of my library in a lower bitrate format (from lossless) for easy copy to the Zen Vision. 
MC12 has a cache which can store converted files as you sync to a handheld.  The next time you sync, it checks the cache first before converting and skips the conversion if the file is found in the cache.
Pages: [1]   Go Up