INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video client to use with Netgear MP101 and MC  (Read 1445 times)

MP101User

• Junior Woodchuck
Video client to use with Netgear MP101 and MC
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:28:19 pm »

Hi there,

I'm a very happy user of the Netgear MP101 with MC. The MP101 was cheap and works really well (for me, others seem to have all sorts of hassle).

However, I'd like a second client for use in the lounge. And I'd like this one to have video capabilities. Is there a client that I could use on the same network as the MP101, or does MC only recognise one type at once?

If there are compatible players, has anybody got any tips? For me, audio would still be 80% of the use, with video an occasional requirement.

If not, then I guess I have to dump the MP101 and buy two new clients. I still only need one to have video capabilities, but what would be a budget-conscious suggestion?

Thanks for any help, I don't really know where to start looking for the clients (bought the MP101 because it was very available - on ebay - and a cheap way to try things out).

Cheers,

Mark.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Video client to use with Netgear MP101 and MC
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:47:49 pm »

The only way currently to use two different clients is to do autodetect. And the NetGear will not be autodetected.

All is not lost, however. Choose the video player that you like. Then choose the advanced settings and try combinations of the options for the NetGear and the new player. You probably can come up with settings that work for both (except the NetGear will then have the photo and video portions of the tree available too)

Are you using the NetGear through wireless? If so, is it 802.11b or something faster?

j

MP101User

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 02:52:09 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds hopeful!

I'm using the MP101 on a wireless network. The network is .11g but the MP101 is only .11b (I'm hoping that won't affect any other clients attached and I'll still get .11g speeds on the future video client).

Never had any real problems with it. The only bug that I have is it locks up if you leave it idle or on standby for a long time (a few hours). So I have to turn it off when I finish or power cycle it if I forget...

Mark.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:00:13 pm »

Strange - there's another user who ran 11g and 11b networks side by side, and the NetGear would recognize the B network and not the G.

Are you not using WEP on the G network by any chance? (the security where you have to put in a key to access the network?)

j

MP101User

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 04:04:42 pm »

No security here at all.

My neighbour and I use each others networks so I don't protect a thing. In theory a hacker could have free reign of my system, I guess, but in reality the chances are very low: so I haven't been arsed to set it up  ;D

Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up