INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm interested in purchasing MC 12  (Read 2364 times)

mrmb

• Recent member
I'm interested in purchasing MC 12
« on: November 30, 2006, 11:33:00 pm »

After spending many hours of forum reading and trying MC, I'm interested in purchasing.  However, it appears that a version 12 release is imminent.   If 12 is released shortly after my purchase, will an upgrade be gratis, or will there be a charge?  And if there is a charge, what will it be?

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 12
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 12:31:28 am »

The release of MC12 is not neccessarily imminent. It could be in a few weeks, it might not happen until spring or summer. Go ahead and buy either, the license works in both.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:33:34 am »

MC12 is actually very stable now.  You may want to just buy MC12 and skip MC11.  You can also buy MC11.  If you purchase it now, your license will also work with MC12.  Following is another thread that describes the same thing.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36795.msg251018#msg251018

I think you will enjoy it.

Randy

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 08:52:59 am »

Right.  Just to beat the dead horse.  All new MC11.1 licenses now "include" an update to MC12 free of charge.

I too agree though.  MC12 is plenty stable to use now.  It includes a lot of new features, and if you're new to MC, you might as well start off learning the latest and best.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mrmb

• Recent member
Thanks for the MC version suggestions
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 05:37:46 pm »

My intent is to install MC12 on two machines: a desktop and a MacBook.  I use the desktop for ripping and burning, and the laptop is used as a music player to drive a USB DAC.   I tested MC11 on the MacBook using Windows/Boot Camp and all is well.

I assume registering and running MC12 on two machines is doable.    However, is there a suggested method of doing so?

BTW, to register 12, must I install 11 from the Purchase section of the site, and then upgrade to 12?  Or can I simply install and purchase/register the latest build:  120123.Exe, which I have a link to?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: Thanks for the MC version suggestions
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 10:59:39 pm »

My intent is to install MC12 on two machines: a desktop and a MacBook.  I use the desktop for ripping and burning, and the laptop is used as a music player to drive a USB DAC.   I tested MC11 on the MacBook using Windows/Boot Camp and all is well.

I assume registering and running MC12 on two machines is doable.    However, is there a suggested method of doing so?

BTW, to register 12, must I install 11 from the Purchase section of the site, and then upgrade to 12?  Or can I simply install and purchase/register the latest build:  120123.Exe, which I have a link to?

You can download the latest version from here:

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/MediaCenter120123.exe

You can install it after you do that download.  You can copy the .exe file to a second PC and do another install or download again to the second PC.

JRiver let's you install on 2 PCs with a single license.  The following is from their FAQ:

Q: Can I install on more than one PC?
A: During the two-week period after you have purchased or restored, you can use the Install Key you received to activate the program on your other PC’s. You may use the program on your work PC and on your home PC's with a single license.

You purchase the license from within MC itself. You will receive registration details that you can apply to the second PC. 

More details are here:

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/buy_faq11.html

You will be happy with MC12.

Randy

modelmaker

Re: I'm interested in purchasing MC 12
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 12:37:28 am »

When you get your confirmation e-mail  with the 2-week key code, save it , then you can copy to it any other computers you have MC installed on.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

mrmb

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 06:57:21 am »

Thanks Magic_Randy and modelmaker!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 02:49:18 pm »

Also. so know...

Once that two week period is up, you can generate another one of those two-week install files by visiting the restore page (choose "Restore from Internet" inside MC when it asks you to register the license).  You are allowed to generate up to 10 of these per year (rolling year not calendar year).

That way if you buy a new computer or need to reinstall MC completely (after wiping your hard drive or something) you can still get it registered.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up