INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi, new to MC....couple of questions for those who...know more.  (Read 1591 times)

thethunder

Hi, new to MC....couple of questions for those who...know more.
« on: December 01, 2006, 07:43:16 pm »

Hey.

I just downloaded the trial of MC 11, and I'm pretty happy with it, having moved from iTunes, to Musicmatch, and now to this. I enjoy the extra features, and flexibility. I have a couple of questions though, for those who know more than me, maybe you can help :) :

-First of all, I really like the interface, it has tons of possibilities, and is very easy to customize. I only have one issue with it, though. I have a massive library, and viewing every track at once takes a lot of recources...and just isn't that ergonomic. I'm looking for an organization system similar to that of musicmatch, where I had the entire library on an expandable tree of artists, then albums, then tracks for each album. Do you know what I mean? Is there a way to get this?

-Secondly, I have an issue with my library. The entire library is hosted on a server on the network, and I have my laptop set up wirelessly as a client, so I can stream music to my laptop whenever I need it, through a shared drive. I've had no real probelm with this in the past, both MM and iTunes haven't flinched...But MC seems to dislike it somehow. It's been twice that I've had my entire library dissappear, meaning that I have to reload it from the share each time, taking several hours. I'm sure this is a minor issue, and I don't want it toturn me away from MC, so if anyone has any advice, I'm open.

Thanks for your help!

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Hi, new to MC....couple of questions for those who...know more.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:07:58 am »

You have to click the button next to "audio" and then the button next "Artists & Albums" to open the Tree (left column). Everything (and more!) is there as you wish.

It doesn't actually take a lot of resources to display the full library, my library is over 40 000 tracks and many others have a whole lot more. When you "import" media into a media player, the player is just adding the tag info and a link to the data base, not the actual media file.

With MC library size doesn't seem to be an issue until you get beyond a couple of 100K!

I don't stream, so someone else will have to chime in on that one. I'm sure someone will have the answer.

You might want to go ahead and try MC12, it's quite stable and has alot of improvements in the networking area. An MC 11 license will work for MC12 as well, as a matter of fact both can reside on the same machine.

Have fun! :)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

thethunder

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 08:13:39 am »

Oh, I see, thanks!

Yeah, it really doesn't seem to be taking up that much power, really...I guess that's just my apprehension from iTunes and MM :). But it can be cumbersome to have to search through every individual track, no?

Thanks for your help :).

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 09:29:04 am »

With MC library size doesn't seem to be an issue until you get beyond a couple of 100K!

However it depends on your computer and how much memory you have

a 1.8ghz computer with 256 meg memory is not going to have the same experience as a 3+ghz and 1 gig memory.

Including is the video board on the mother board? and is it using shared memory?, rendering of skins is also going to hurt the speed.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 11:05:08 am »

King, this what I run MC on with no loss of performance:

Microsoft Windows 2000 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1658 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 204 MB

thethunder: I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean. You don't have to manually search thru your whole library to find something. If you're looking for track x, then all you have to do is type in track x in the Search box at the upper right of the screen, MC will find it for you. You can also create just about any kind of seach you want using the Smartlists, (for genre, year, rating, etc.).

When you open the Tree in the left hand column, under Artists/Album, your library is sorted by Artists (in alphabetical order), when you click on the artists, MC opens the list of songs/albums for that artist. You can then click on the album to see the individual tracks for that album or click on "All" to see all the tracks by that artist. How much simpler does it need to be?

Are you maybe not seeing the Left hand column, otherwise known as the tree? If you're looking at the "Standard" view you should see 2 columns under the player controls, the left column (the narrow one) will have directories like Audio, Video, Images, Playlists, Drivees and Devices and Plugins & Services. The wider right hand column will show the tracks depending on what has been selected.

MC also has the ability to be completely customized to sort things just the way you want.

If your media has not been tagged with some consistency or standardization, that can make things more complicated, but MC has one of the best taggers, which will allow you to fix that.

What kind of media do you have? Is it all ripped from CDs? or downloaded? How many tracks?

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up