INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag Window inconvenience  (Read 2364 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Tag Window inconvenience
« on: October 16, 2006, 09:26:12 pm »

Hi,
I've been trying to change tags for multiple files and have run into a problem with MC's new tagging window.

For semicolon delimited type fields, the tick box list pops up. I am simply trying to clear all the tag info for a bunch of files, but there is no way within that tick box list to unselect everything. With the current system, I would have to double click on each tick (once to set all files to that value, and then once again to clear that value from all files).

Could we have a button that says "Clear all ticks". Or could you put the "Unassigned" value at the bottom of each list.

Thanks,
Bri

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Tag Window inconvenience
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 09:42:05 pm »

I've noticed that the Pane view includes an "Unassigned" checkbox that allows you to uncheck the other fields with one click.  I think it would be a very logical feature if the TW box that pops up for "List" type fields ALSO had the "Unassigned" checkbox.  This would allow us to clear ALL list field options with one click.

Larry

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 09:50:05 pm »

Or, how about having "typing" be the first choice and a button to choose the tick box.

Then we could type what we want, or clear as we please, and if, and only if we want to resort to the mouse, we click the "show tick list" and presto, the tick box shows up.

So we want to use the mouse to select, we have to reach for the mouse, and choose to display the tick list.  But if we we can type and know what we want, and it's faster to just type it in, we have that choice, without the constant, keyboard-mouse-keyboard-mouse-keyboard-mouse-keyboard-mouse-keyboard-mouse...

carpel tunnel inducing movement.

(broken record...)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 10:47:04 pm »

Or, how about having "typing" be the first choice and a button to choose the tick box.

The problem with that is that if you happen to be somebody who prefers the checkboxes for the "first choice," this would mean more work.  I personally rather like having the checkboxes for list type fields to pop up right away when clicking the field.  This simply suits my personal needs better, so I actually prefer it the way it currently works.  It's a very subjective issue.

Larry

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:13:12 am »

I know others like different things, but if you are going to use the mouse anyway, it's just one more little click to get the tick box, one among many clicks.  You hand must leave the keyboard and reach for the mouse anyway.

For those that would rather type, there IS NO CHOICE, you will be a clicker to get the task completed.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 07:59:03 am »

It sure is subjective.  I'm not sure which way I'd like it better.

I really think park's idea for the Unassigned tick box is a good one though!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 11:18:41 am »

What I have suggested, will work for those that want to type and for those that want to click.  Both type users are accomodated.

The current method only provides clicking input, no typing.  Only mouse clicking is possible.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 11:36:25 am »

How about something like this?

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 02:19:03 pm »

Looks nice.  How would you picture it working, I tab into it, will a tab take me to the next field (without any mouse intervention)?  If yes, I think that is PERFECT

But I think there may be a problem having the text visible AND the checkboxes visible at the same time.  Think about what happens to the text as one selects items with the mouse, or what happens to the checked items when I'm changing the text.  Ideas?

Or maybe the line would only show the text with a small button to the right a "..." button, and when clicked removes the text and brings up the tick box.  That way there is never text and a tick box up showing at the same time eliminating the need to keep the syncronized on a realtime basis.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 02:58:28 pm »

I don't see why MC couldn't detect when something is added or removed from the text box and then update the list of checkboxes to match, or vice versa.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 03:38:50 pm »

I don't see why MC couldn't detect when something is added or removed from the text box and then update the list of checkboxes to match, or vice versa.

That would be perfect, but if were difficult or impossible, then what I suggested would work too.  I do like you full idea best , assuming they will implement it.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 05:31:12 pm »

That seems like a really nice idea -- thanks for the mockup.  The only thing I would suggest is that an "Unassigned" box should be included at the top of the checkbox list, just as it is in the panes.  This would allow single click clearing of ALL the fields without having to go to the keyboard, AND it would match the system already used in Tagging Mode (which includes the "Unassigned" checkbox.)

Larry

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 08:54:35 am »

I agree. That would be nice.

johnnyboy

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 09:04:47 am »

Nice mockup.
Looks great for it's purpose but for me this is still the problem with MC.
For something like people that list just gets way too great and makes it hard to organise.
I need some way of grouping people (family, friends, associates, etc).

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 09:18:03 am »

Oh, that would be nice!

Something like this?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 04:25:40 am »

That's a nice idea doof. Today I was misspelt something when adding a new tag and there was no way for me to edit it in the tag window!  ?

I had to double click on the entry in the panes to make it into editable text so that i could fix the spelling mistake.

johnnyboy

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 05:00:11 am »

Oh, that would be nice!

Something like this?

This would be the one I'd love the most.
My list of people is going to be getting huge with all my photos. I'd love to be able to group them!
Pages: [1]   Go Up