INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preserving timestamps when tagging  (Read 3346 times)

aksdb

• Recent member
Preserving timestamps when tagging
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:23:20 am »

Hi,

I have a small suggestion for MC which shouldn't be too hard to include. I would like an option to preserve the timestamps when tagging files. I record online radios and like the timestamp as indicator when it was recorded. I know that MC preserves the file creation time but the explorer usually shows the modifcation time so it would be cool if that could be preserved too.

Thanks in advance!

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Preserving timestamps when tagging
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:27:16 am »

The modification time of a file is when a file was last modified.
While it's possible (by tricking the operating system as to the current date/time)
Logically it's incorrect IMO. 

It's Explorer that needs changing, I regularilly find this irritating too.

aksdb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 02:52:05 pm »

That's why it should be an option. But I see the updating of tags not as updating the file - the music stays the same - so the modification time should too. And it isn't too hard to do this ... query the filetime before rewriting the tags, and set it afterwards. So it stays the same.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 09:52:32 am »

I use modify date to compare if a file has been updated or not. So then I do need it to update even if its only a tag change.

Of course this is only a concern for what one use these field for. I would think the create date is more correct to use for dating when it was recorded... But that's my logic :)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 10:20:16 am »

I see the updating of tags not as updating the file - the music stays the same - so the modification time should too. And it isn't too hard to do this ... query the filetime before rewriting the tags, and set it afterwards. So it stays the same.
Isn't that incorrect if you save tags back to the files ?

As far as the OS is concerned, the file just isn't the same anymore.

I know that MC preserves the file creation time but the explorer usually shows the modifcation time so it would be cool if that could be preserved too.
Not sure why you can't use [Date Created] field for this.

aksdb

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 12:06:28 pm »

Not sure why you can't use [Date Created] field for this.

Because MC is not the only application accessing my music database. Only one of my PCs is equipped with Windows, all the others (including my Laptop) use Linux so I can't use MC there and the filetime together with the filename is my only indicator which radio show this is ... and I can sort it by datetime.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 03:06:45 pm »

What if you don't save tags back to the files but only to the library ?

modifcation time == creation time

aksdb

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 03:54:57 pm »

But then I would still miss the modified tags ;)
mp3tag has such an option and I used that for some time but I would really like to have such an option in MC too ... that would make my music management a lot easier.
I don't request that as a must-have for everyone, but I think it is a useful option. Maybe even only as a registry key so that it is considered an "expert"-option.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 09:05:26 am »

What if you named your files

yyyy-mm-dd__Show_name.ext (or a variant of this)

Now you know when it was made and trivial to sort in a file explorer from any OS. I've always thought when the show was broadcast was more important than when it was recorded..

What does the modification time mean to you ? and why is it important to track when you modified a tag ?..did not understand your last post.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 09:23:47 am »

What if you named your files

yyyy-mm-dd__Show_name.ext (or a variant of this)

Now you know when it was made and trivial to sort in a file explorer from any OS. I've always thought when the show was broadcast was more important than when it was recorded..

What does the modification time mean to you ? and why is it important to track when you modified a tag ?..did not understand your last post.

Seems a good idea to start with, until you realise you then can't sort by filename no more!
I think it would make more sense aksdb, to find a replacement for Explorer/(Linix equivilent).  Theres alot out there, i'm sure theres got to be something that can sort by file creation date.

Edit: Explorer can sort by creation date after all!
Right click on the column headers and you get a list of things you can sort by!
So just Linux you need to sort out.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 09:57:53 am »

Edit: Explorer can sort by creation date after all!
Right click on the column headers and you get a list of things you can sort by!
Exactly, if by explorer he means windows explorer.

aksdb

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 10:23:37 am »

Ok I give up and continue to use mp3tag, although it is annoying.
The whole question seems to be about personal preference ... but it's still preference so I will continue to use the system I like the most ... ant that is keeping the filetime intact. (Although I don't understand why everybody seems to be against an optonal feature. Allowing more possibilites to handle certain things can't be bad!)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:32:49 am »

Ok I give up and continue to use mp3tag, although it is annoying.
The whole question seems to be about personal preference ... but it's still preference so I will continue to use the system I like the most ... ant that is keeping the filetime intact. (Although I don't understand why everybody seems to be against an optonal feature. Allowing more possibilites to handle certain things can't be bad!)

I'm confused, I've just shown you don't need that optional preference!
Explorer happily will sort by creation date!
Why add a feature when it's not needed?!
I'm sure the Linux browser must have the same feature?
You also save yourself the fuss if anyother program happens to modify the files.

aksdb

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 04:08:20 am »

Because I use the explorer not only for music ;)
For documents, downloads, whatever sorting by modification time makes sense. But as I explained: a tag is for me only an additional information to the song, and the song itself doesn't change when I change the tag. That's my personal preference, so I don't like a changed modification time, although the song did not change (in my oppinion). That the file did technically change is not in question.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 06:24:27 am »

I would like an option to preserve the timestamps when tagging files. I record online radios and like the timestamp as indicator when it was recorded.
If you modify tags in MC, won't the modification time in explorer be the same as that of [Date Modified] in MC ?

Is so, i never understood what you meant by "preserve" ?

aksdb

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 07:50:13 am »

"Preserve timestamps" in the meaning of "keep the filetime" ...
Example: I record a radio station at 05.12.2006, 20:00 until 22:00
The creation time would be 05.12.2006 20:00 and the modification time would be 22:00 as there was the last write. Two days later I see that my stream recorder did mess up the tags so I correct them. The creation time is kept intact by MC (even when rewriting the file due to an invalid tag format) but the modification time is set to the current time (07.12.2006 13:32). I would like an option that sets the modification time back to 05.12.2006 22:00 after writing the tag changes so I still have the correct timespan for that radio show.
That was my whole intend behind this little feature request. I didn't expect it to raise such a discussion as it isn't something big to add (a simple checkbox in the options, saving and loading the setting to/from registry, storing the modification time before writing changes and settings it back after writing changes if the option is set ... maybe 10 lines of code which would not hurt anyone but could be useful for some people ... for example me ;))

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 09:15:31 am »

I think, in this forum, people tend to focus on helping how to solve a problem (and tha's a good thing). Of course in these beta days, there might be a better chance of getting a new function implemented, so I won't blame you for trying.

I use from time to time a external tagger, which had this option of preserving modified when changing tags. And it probaly isn't much of a feature to add.  But then again, how many would find it usefull? I would'nt.

And I am sure the j.river team continiously asks themself if new features might be usefull or just adds noise. But as the good company they are, they listen to what the masses want's. So there's your solution i guess. You need to team up, i guess :)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 09:29:26 am »

"Preserve timestamps" in the meaning of "keep the filetime" ...
Example: I record a radio station at 05.12.2006, 20:00 until 22:00
The creation time would be 05.12.2006 20:00 and the modification time would be 22:00 as there was the last write. Two days later I see that my stream recorder did mess up the tags so I correct them. The creation time is kept intact by MC (even when rewriting the file due to an invalid tag format) but the modification time is set to the current time (07.12.2006 13:32). I would like an option that sets the modification time back to 05.12.2006 22:00 after writing the tag changes so I still have the correct timespan for that radio show.
I'm tempted to say use a custom tag for this...but if you want to also see the files from other apps this is not an option  :-\ Also, there is no way to create a custom tag of date type, it would have to be a string.

The only work-around i can think of is to somehow encode this into the filename eg

yyyy-mm-dd__filename-(20.00--22.00).ext

That way its universally viewable and untoucable at the same time. More work perhaps.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 10:16:15 am »

I think, in this forum, people tend to focus on helping how to solve a problem (and tha's a good thing). Of course in these beta days, there might be a better chance of getting a new function implemented, so I won't blame you for trying.

I use from time to time a external tagger, which had this option of preserving modified when changing tags. And it probaly isn't much of a feature to add.  But then again, how many would find it usefull? I would'nt.

What he said!

(Seriously though... I'm sure that feature wouldn't take too much effort to implement, but its not something I would use or care about.  You need to "motivate" them somehow to make it worth their time.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up