INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble Importing MP4s/M4Vs  (Read 1687 times)

cHilLaX

• Recent member
Trouble Importing MP4s/M4Vs
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:17:53 am »

Hello

I am a new user to MC, having grown tired of iTunes and it's problems with updates and so on. I have a video iPod.

When I try to import (to library) the MP4/M4V movie files to the library (for transfer to iPod) it gives the error "Failed to import".

These videos worked previously using iTunes. The originals are in avi (DivX I think) format, and the MC can import them fine, but after they have been converted to iPod format (using Videora), MC cannot import them.

Is this a problem that will be fixed, or will MC never be able to import iPod video format.

Cheers.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Trouble Importing MP4s/M4Vs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:53:37 am »

I have tons of MP4 files and they all import just fine.  Do these play back okay in MC if you manually open them by doing File --> Open Media File?  Can you play the files back using Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

cHilLaX

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:56:46 am »

MC gives the message "There is nothing to open"

Media Player Classic plays it OK, occasionally it freezes but starts again after a little rewind/fast forward.

VLC Player plays the audio but there is no video.

Quicktime Player plays it perfectly.

Also if it helps here is the summary after the attempt to import:

Imported 0 new files.
Failed to import 5 files.

In-depth details:
1017765: Import: Process: Starting import (JRiver Media Center 11.1.200 (registered))
1017781: Import: GetMissingAndUpdateFiles: Start
1018562: Import: GetMissingAndUpdateFiles: Finish (781 ms)
1018562: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Start
1018562: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Include: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\
1018562: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Exclude: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\J River\Media Center 11\Thumbnails\{70FCFBD3-F797-4027-A3F4-8FD3D7E19FE6}\
1018562: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Finish (0 ms)
1018562: Import: GetNewFiles: Start
1018562: Import: AddFile: Found: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 1 Falcons Panthers.mp4
1018578: Import: AddFile: Found: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 4 Falcons Cardinals.mp4
1018578: Import: AddFile: Found: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 6 Falcons Giants.mp4
1018578: Import: AddFile: Found: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 7 Falcons Steelers.m4v
1018578: Import: AddFile: Found: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 8 Falcons Bengals.mp4
1018578: Import: GetNewFiles: Finish (16 ms)
1018578: Import: MakeLibraryBackup: Start
1018750: Import: MakeLibraryBackup: Finish (172 ms)
1018750: Import: ImportNewFiles: Start
1018750: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 1 Falcons Panthers.mp4
1019062: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
1019078: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 4 Falcons Cardinals.mp4
1019343: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
1019359: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 6 Falcons Giants.mp4
1019625: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
1019640: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 7 Falcons Steelers.m4v
1019953: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
1019953: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Movies\Week 8 Falcons Bengals.mp4
1020250: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add
1020250: Import: ImportNewFiles: Finish (1500 ms)
1020250: Import: FixBrokenLinks: Start
1020250: Import: FixBrokenLinks: Finish (0 ms)
1020250: Import: Process: Finish (2485 ms)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:16:55 pm »

Interesting.  Check this for me...

Go to Tools --> Options --> Playback --> DirectShow playback settings.

In the dialog that appears, under DirectShow Filters (on the right) uncheck MP4 and try to play back or import.

Also, either way, what filters and codecs do you have installed currently if any.  In order for MC to playback MP4 files, you will need to have appropriate DirectShow filters that can handle the files installed.  This applies to MPC as well (though not really VLC).  Its interesting that VLC doesn't seem to be able to handle them...

I, personally, use CCCP for my main filter/codec set.  Another option is to obtain and install MP4Splitter.ax and FFDSHOW separately.

cHilLaX

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 12:24:48 pm »

Thanks a lot - it is now importing/playing the files perfectly.

As for my codecs I use "Ace Mega Codec Pack" which is nice, and contains some useful utilities/programs.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 12:53:42 pm »

Yeah...  It's your Ace Codec Pack.  That thing installs so many codecs and splitters which all conflict with each other it's frankly amazing that it's able to decode anything properly at all.

It's not able to properly handle MP4 files apparently, which is why it was failing if DirectShow playback was enabled.  Unchecking that box tells MC to use Quicktime as it's rendering engine instead of DirectShow.  This works but is lower quality and can't handle all MP4 file types (High Profile and other better-quality profile files will fail).

I'd strongly recommend you get rid of it and try either CCCP or K-Lite Codec Pack Standard Version (which is essentially the same as CCCP but includes Gabest's MP4Splitter, FLV Splitter, and G-Spot).  I'd avoid the "big monolithic CODEC packs" (including K-Lite Full Edition) as they generally install a whole bunch of stuff you don't need and are well known to cause problems.  In addition to CCCP or K-Lite, if you want to encode to XviD or DivX you can install those separately (but make sure to disable DivX's handling of general MPEG-4 decoding if you install it).

cHilLaX

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 12:55:44 pm »

OK thanks for the info - I will probably do as you say.

How do I sync videos to my iPod? When my iPod is plugged in I can see the songs on it, but not any of the video. If I click sync now, will it sync my videos as well as my songs?

Oops scratch that...got it working now
Pages: [1]   Go Up