INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot update with cdplayer.ini  (Read 1783 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Cannot update with cdplayer.ini
« on: December 06, 2006, 07:45:20 pm »

I have always had problems using cdplayer.ini to get a CD's details if YADB doesn't have it. Many times I have seen the instructions on right-clicking on the CD drive and selecting Update from cdplayer.ini. Tonight I ripped a CD and it was unknown. I used Audiograbber and Player and verified that cdplayer.ini had the information. Doing the update in MC got back that no information could be found in cdplayer.ini. I tried closing MC, restarting, reinserting the CD, etc. with no luck. I eventually had to type everything in.

So what am I doing wrong in all this?  It seems like once MC thinks the CD is unknown, I can't get it to recognize it no matter what.
Jeff

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
Re: Cannot update with cdplayer.ini
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:11:24 am »

Yes, this has always been my experience. Once a CD has been tagged, whether right or wrong, it was always difficult to make corrections!

Also, if you make corrections in your main database (library), it doesn't mean that corrections are automatically updated to the CD database!

marrahm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 01:29:07 pm »

I'm glad its not just me.  I've have not been able to get MC to pull from the ini file either.  Is there a trick to using this function other than the right=click menu selection?

thanks,
mike

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 04:43:36 pm »

I have always had problems using cdplayer.ini to get a CD's details if YADB doesn't have it. Many times I have seen the instructions on right-clicking on the CD drive and selecting Update from cdplayer.ini. Tonight I ripped a CD and it was unknown. I used Audiograbber and Player and verified that cdplayer.ini had the information. Doing the update in MC got back that no information could be found in cdplayer.ini. I tried closing MC, restarting, reinserting the CD, etc. with no luck. I eventually had to type everything in.

So what am I doing wrong in all this?  It seems like once MC thinks the CD is unknown, I can't get it to recognize it no matter what.

This works for me. After inserting an unknown CD I can add info to the CDPLayer.ini file and MC can right-click update the info.

Is your CDPlayer.ini near or over 64 KB? I am not sure if the following old Win 95 info is still correct, but you may need to clear the file from time to time.
64 Kilobyte Limit on Track Information in CDPLAYER.INI

You can record volume and track data and CDPlayer stores this information in its CDPLAYER.INI file. However, like all INI files, CDPLAYER.INI has a 64 kilobytes limit. Normally, this is not a limitation for INI files, since few programs need 64 kilobytes of application settings and switches. It can however become a problem when the INI file is used as a poor man's database and this is exactly what CDPlayer does. CDPlayer stores several hunderd bytes of information about each CD, where the exact length depends on the length of the track names used. There is no workaround for this limitation. If you have an extensive CD collection CDPlayer almost surely will run out of space in its INI file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marrahm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 04:55:19 pm »

what program (and what other CD dbase) are you using to get the data into the ini?

thanks,
mike

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 05:15:43 pm »

what program (and what other CD dbase) are you using to get the data into the ini?

thanks,
mike

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=37254.msg254838#msg254838
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Michael Horton

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 05:25:15 pm »

If a CD isn't in YADB, and it's found by EAC but the CD contains a video or other data info, Media Center will not import the info from the cdplayer.ini. I've tried ths many, many times and found it to be 100% consistent. If the CD has no video/dada info, MC will import from cdplayer.ini; if the CD does, it won't. It's been that way for quite a while. That's been my experience anyway.

marrahm

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 07:50:39 pm »

Alex,

The VUplayer works perfectly, thanks.  I have it set to automatically pull the data from Gracenote and dump it into the ini.  With it running in the background, I can throw each each of my YADB unrecognized disks and rip them as if recognized. 

Thanks,
mike

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 07:41:57 am »

If a CD isn't in YADB, and it's found by EAC but the CD contains a video or other data info, Media Center will not import the info from the cdplayer.ini. I've tried ths many, many times and found it to be 100% consistent. If the CD has no video/dada info, MC will import from cdplayer.ini; if the CD does, it won't. It's been that way for quite a while. That's been my experience anyway.
Ahhh, that might be the problem I had with this last CD since it did have bonus stuff on it. Next time I have an unknown CD with no extra data, I'll see if the update from cdplayer.ini works.

Sounds like this though is a bug in MC that needs to be looked at.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up