INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Need help Locating Files  (Read 2186 times)

cee just

Help! Need help Locating Files
« on: December 07, 2006, 03:00:14 am »

Need Help locating Files I cannot find my mp3 files on my hard drive I am able to play the songs in media center and every thing shows up in media center but when I go to the drive letter that the mp 3's are stored on thier all gone need help locating where they might be seems the only files thats there are the ones that will not import into media center if anyone has any insight on the problem I would sure appreciated thank you very much.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help! Need help Locating Files
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:15:10 am »

select a file inside MC, right click, locate, on disk (external)

That will launch an explorer window opened at the files' location.

You could also just hover your mouse over a file and read its file address in the last line of the tooltip.

Any idea how they got moved in the first place? MC has some very powerful file management capabilities, accessible via such things as drag and drop, the rename from properties tool, direct editing of the filename field in the tag info window etc. etc.

If you want to put the files back where they came from, ask for help with using those tools and you'll find that MC will be able to do that for you. The reason that's best is because if MC does the job for you, it will also keep your library updated and you won't need to go through the import process again.

-marko.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 04:41:50 am »

Add "FileName" to you list, in details mode you should see it then
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

cee just

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:29:28 pm »

Ok When I'm in media center and right click on file and locate on external drive the files come up in windows explorer but as soon as i click back on the drive they are installed on the folder/files are missing they are showing up in the drive I have a 500 gb hard drive and when I click my computer and highlight my drive its says 50 gb freespace and 467 gb total size but when I double click on the drive on the my music folder it only shows about 1 gig of mp3 the rest are not coming up somehow it seems media center is hidding the folders there in and I would like to unhide if possible so they can show up in the hard drive also I would like to re tagg them using media monkey thats why i need them to show up in the hard drive. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:43:34 pm »

I think that the files have been moved and are no longer saved in the place you think they are. Assuming you understand how to read a file address, I'd do like KingSparta suggests and list your files inside MC, in details mode, with the filename field showing. That will give you all the info you need.

MC does not hide files or folders.

cee just

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 03:51:17 pm »

I already have filename in the list when I highlight a song in media center it shows me the path its save at This is what it shows:
 E://Music/Jay-Z/Kingdome Come/Lost Ones.mp3

And from media center the file plays ok but when i go to my E drive under music folder all the other folders are hidden expect a couple its empty I had over 320 gb of mp3 in the music folder now I only see about 1 gb I know the files are there because the E drive is almost full also I'm able to play the files through media center I'm try to get the files/folders to show back up in the E drive.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 02:03:20 am »

>> E://Music/Jay-Z/Kingdome Come/Lost Ones.mp3 <<

Is that exactly how MC reports the file path?

I would have expected E:\Music\Jay-Z\Kingdome Come\Lost ones.mp3

Note: Backslashes, not forward slashes, and only one after the drive identifier, not two.

I need to bow out of this one now as I've not seen that before, and would hate to offer incorrect advice that wasted your files. Hopefully, someone else will chime in soon. I'll be watching the outcome with interest....

good luck, and apologies for not being able to help further.
-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up