INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot restore Media Centre to my computer  (Read 3504 times)

Peter Henderson

• Recent member
Cannot restore Media Centre to my computer
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:26:02 pm »

Hi Everyone. I'm not sure if this is the correct section for these problems but here goes.

In October 2005 I purchased Media Centre 11.0 from the J River website. I was very satisfied with this product and I reckon the sound quality is somewhat superior to a Windows Media Payer, with more formats on offer as well. A couple of weeks ago I was unable to start windows XP so the computer had to be rebooted. Obviously I lost all my programmes, including Media Centre 11.0. Fortunately I stored the original restore key on an external hard drive. However, I am having problems restoring the Media Centre. I've followed the instructions contained in the e-mail that has been sent but to no avail. Any suggestions as to how to cure this problem would be gratefully appreciated . I am allowed 10 restorations per year. Unfortunately because I have tried the restoration process 3 times I now have 7 left. . I am reluctant to do anything else until I have precise instructions as to what to do. ?

On a seperate issue, when the media Centre was working,  and when I ripped a CD the Centre did not automatically copy the information over to each track when it was stored in the library (i.e. name of artist, album etc.) Any info. on how to cure this problem would again be much appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot restore Media Centre to my computer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 01:34:44 pm »

This page has info on licenses and restoring:

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/buy_faq11.html

Use IE to restore.

Don't worry about running out.  We can fix that.

Peter Henderson

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 04:26:47 pm »

Hi Jim. Thanks for info. At the moment when I try to open the install key (attached to the e-mail) I get the on screen message:

"Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded"

I recently installed the upgrade windows XP service pack 2 so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the message. I do know that the latest windows media player (version 11) would not download until I had installed this (service pack 2).

Any advice on how to fix this problem would be welcome (It's probably something fairly simple !). I don't think this is covered on the link you gave me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 04:37:58 pm »

I don't know what the OS wants, but try installing from within MC.  You can ask MC to register from a file, then browse to the location of the file.  The file ends in .mjr.  You could save it with your e-mail program to any location (desktop, for example).  The Install Key you save and use must be less than 14 days old.

Peter Henderson

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 03:21:52 pm »

You can ask MC to register from a file, then browse to the location of the file.  The file ends in .mjr.  You could save it with your e-mail program to any location (desktop, for example). 

I'm not really sure what the procedure is to do this Jim. When I click on the install key I am prompted with the message " do you want to open this file". When I click on open I get the message: "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" I've tried right - hand clicking on the key and then saving it to my desktop. The Media Centre icon appears on the dektop as a webpage. When I try to open it, the same on-screen message comes up.

There are a list of internet security settings on my computer under Tools/Internet options/Security/custom Level. I've tried setting these to low but it makes no difference. I've also tried setting the default level to low but the computer won't allow me to do this. There are a number of custom settings that can be set manually so it could be one of these. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next. 

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 11:44:41 pm »

The restore does not re-install MC, it only unlocks it from the 30-day trial. You must first download and install MC, (from the top of the forum or Homepage)

You can then go to MC Help>Restore and restore using the license key on your desktop, (if it is less than 14 days old).
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 08:19:02 am »

From Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248411

Surely He Is Not Trying To Register A Program Not Yet Installed

I Had The Same Problem Once And It Was Norton Internet Security Messing With The Security Of My E-mail
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 02:24:02 am »

King:

Hi Jim. Thanks for info. At the moment when I try to open the install key (attached to the e-mail) I get the on screen message:

It sounds to me that he may incorrectly assume that the link in the e-mail is the link to unlock and restore the installation of MC.
Jay.

Peter Henderson

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 11:25:29 am »

The restore does not re-install MC, it only unlocks it from the 30-day trial. You must first download and install MC, (from the top of the forum or Homepage)

You can then go to MC Help>Restore and restore using the license key on your desktop, (if it is less than 14 days old

Thanks for advice chaps. I'll try these suggestions. At least if I download the free trial I'll have the programme up and running and I'll try using the reinstall key then. King Sparta my be correct. Since the PC was rebooted Media centre 11 has obviously been removed so as you correctly say King Sparta, I'll have to reinstall (doh !). I'll have a go and see what happens !

Peter Henderson

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 02:47:32 pm »

This has now worked sucsessfully and I now get an on-screen message informing me: "licence for media center now installed sucessfully" so that seems to have been the problem all along i.e. I hadn't downloaded the programme in the first place. Fingers crossed I will not get a message in 30 days time prompting me to buy the full version of Media Centre 11.0  :D!

The problem of not getting any info. from the CD's I ripped has also cleared. This appears to be a Norton Internet Security issue as I did get the message that "Media Centre was trying to access my computer etc". I chose the option "always allow access from this site" rather than their recommended one (i.e. do not allow access from this site).

Anyway, thanks for your help folks. Things seem to be working OK now  :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 04:07:28 pm »

King:

It sounds to me that he may incorrectly assume that the link in the e-mail is the link to unlock and restore the installation of MC.

Seems Your Correct.

Have You Seen The Latest CSI Shows, About The Serial ModelMaker?

I always think of you, seems he was a Train ModelMaker.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 04:57:22 am »

....hmmmmm...! ;)
Jay.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 05:39:58 am »

"...Hmmmmm...!" won't cut it MM, I've seen photographic evidence!!! ;) :D

spooky huh?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Cannot restore Media Center to my computer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 10:02:01 am »

The ModelMaker Was On CSI Again Last Night And Took Out "Danny Bonaduce" From The Partridge Family.

The "ModelMaker" May Have Escaped From Federal Lockup.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 01:40:18 pm »

Shhh,.....I'm busy building another model.... :-X

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069636/P10100044.JPG

gotta do something with all these beer cans....
Jay.

Pages: [1]   Go Up