INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! MC takes 73 seconds to open!  (Read 3046 times)

Polfliet

• Recent member
Help! MC takes 73 seconds to open!
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:52:48 pm »

For the past few months MC has been taking very long to open, 73 seconds to be exact (I timed it today).  I've had the latest versions (currently 11.1.201).  I've tried unintalling Album Art Finder and disabling all Podcast Auto Downloads.  I also tried the debug logging, but can't make sense out of the log.  I tried copying the log, but it exceeds the maximum length for this forum.  I could email it to anyone.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help! MC takes 73 seconds to open!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 02:07:21 pm »

Are there any unavailable drives on your system?

Are your database and your files local?

Any third party plug-ins?

Polfliet

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:09:48 pm »

The only unavailable drives would be other networked computers (2) I set-up as a "Handheld" synchronized devices.  They are both disconnected right now and most of the time.

The database is in it's default local location.

No third party plug-ins are loaded.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 03:20:05 pm »

The only unavailable drives would be other networked computers (2) I set-up as a "Handheld" synchronized devices.  They are both disconnected right now and most of the time.
Try removing them.

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 03:37:53 pm »

Polfliet--

JimH's advice about third party plugins is worth mentioning (and checking) twice.  Doof's great "Lyrics Editor" plugin was accounting for an extra 20 seconds in my start time.

The other thing that I found dragging out my startup time was expression-based panes in my default view.  A lot of the panes I had were getting used once or twice a year.  Going to a simpler default view cleared that right up for me. 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:03:39 pm »

A Faster Computer And More Memory Don't Hurt.

I think someone was saying and not sure if it is true but it was basically when files are removed from the database they are not removed, but hidden (basically) until something can over write it. so you could have a larger database than what is required. If this is true, and there is no way to clean the database then a new import would remove all of the old data and allow the new smaller database to load faster.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Polfliet

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 07:40:29 pm »

There are no 3rd party plug-ins listed in MC, but is there somewhere else I should check to ensure they aren't just hidden?

Hardware Information
--------------------
CPU                  :  Intel  Pentium  4 CPU 2800 MHz
Bus Speed            :  200 MHz
Motherboard          :  http://www.abit.com.tw/ IC7/IC7-G(Intel i875P-ICH5)
System               :     
BIOS                 :  Phoenix 6.00 PG
Memory               :  1024 MB

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 08:18:48 pm »

The other thing that I found dragging out my startup time was expression-based panes in my default view.  A lot of the panes I had were getting used once or twice a year.  Going to a simpler default view cleared that right up for me. 

I bet it has something to do with this, if it isn't the disconnected network drive thing Jim mentioned.

What Panes do you have active in the view that first loads up when MC starts?  Does the start time improve if you switch MC to startup with the "Start" page (Options --> Startup --> Location: Start)?  If so, it's likely that something in that default view is slow to build...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Polfliet

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 09:54:33 pm »

I set the default startup page to "Start" (vs. "Audio") and this did not help.
If it has to do with sychronizing with other PC's, how do I fix this.  I'd like to continue being able to sychronize. 

Jim,
How do I completely remove the "unavailable drives"?
Thanks.

Is it possible MC is looking for these disconnected drives (which were set-up as "Handheld Devices") and locks-up until it times out?  And if this is the case, how would one change the search to like 5 seconds vs. 60+ seconds?

I just checked Windows Task Manager and during MC startup, it's status is "Not Responding".

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 01:49:28 am »

Options --> Startup --> Location: Playing Now)

Notice any difference ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 09:01:20 am »

Is it possible MC is looking for these disconnected drives (which were set-up as "Handheld Devices") and locks-up until it times out?  And if this is the case, how would one change the search to like 5 seconds vs. 60+ seconds?

Since switching to Startup Location: Start didn't work, I'd guess that it is trying to contact the disconnected drives.  I'm not sure if this is a Windows timeout or a JRiver timeout.

By remove the unavailable drives, I think Jim means:

• Open Windows Explorer --> Tools --> Disconnect Network Drives
  • Select the drives listed (control-click to select multiple drives) and hit OK.
  • Open MC and Navigate to Drives and Devices
  • Select your "handhelds" and right click --> Remove & Ignore
  • Restart MC and see if the problem is solved.

Even if this isn't a long-term tenable situation, it might help determine that this is/isn't the actual cause.  Assuming it is the cause, then maybe this can be dealt with.

One other small suggestions... I don't know if you have access to it right now, but MC12 (the new beta version) is MUCH faster than 11.1 in many ways.  You may have better luck with it.  Of course, unless you bought MC11.1 somewhat recently, it's not a free upgrade (I think it might be worth trying out anyway though)...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Polfliet

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:07:14 am »

I selected the networked location under "Drives & Devices" and selcted "Remove & Ignore".
Startup time still 70+ seconds.
I went to Tools --> Options --> Handheld and selected "Redetect All Devices..." and this fixed it.
Startup time < 5 seconds.

This is good news, but I'm worried about having to re-enter all my handhelds and their settings everytime I want to sync.  Any suggestions???

Thanks for you help.  This looks like a need for a FIX in hopefully version 11, but definately version 12.
Pages: [1]   Go Up