INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server  (Read 2622 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Library Server
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:41:56 am »

I tried library server for the first time today with my home computer as host and my work computer as client , and was surprised by how well it works. I was expecting it to choke and have all kinds of buffering problems, but it did so well that i even managed to be able to watch a bit of a south park episode (when i should have been working. must... resist... temptation.. to play).

Anyway, I have been reading a couple of threads about using library server and it seems that playcounts get updated, right? How about ratings?

Also, is there any reason why it would be hard to make tagging possible from the client? I dont know much about networking, but if i had to speculate I'd say its maybe something to do with limitations of what info can be sent/recieved using the port (80?) that mc does to connect the two computers. Is that way off?

Anyway, if it were technically achievable to be able to tag from the client side, that would be one of my top requests in the future development of MC.

Thanks for allowing the current functionality though. It's great to know that i might be able to stop carrying around my library and music on a portable usb drive all the time.

One last thing. Would it be possible to put an option somewhere to be able to download the thumbnail files from the host? This would probably only be something i would do once, and then let the client build its own thumbnails after that. But asking the client to build 30,000 thumbnails by itself seems to be a bit of a waste.
Perhaps the "library server" place in the tree could have its' page split into two: the top half being options/functions for the server, and the bottom half being options/functions for the client.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: Library Server
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:06:58 am »

Thanks for the ideas, glad you liked it.

j

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:01:52 pm »

Thanks for the response. The other thing that would be cool, is if in the (theoretical) client options (on the library server screen), there were fields to add an ip address, user name, and password.

Currently, we have to edit the library to be able to change the ip address. I recieve different ip addresses every time i connect to the internet, so when i get to work and load up MC, it says that it cant load the library (because it is trying to load it from yesterdays ip address) and so resorts to another default.

It would be nice if a standard "Client" library existed and you could just input the ip address in the library server part of the tree.

With regards to the username and ip address. This doesnt change, but i still have to enter it every time i load the library. It'd be nice if i could enter this in the client options too, so that i dont have to type that in every morning.

Regards,
Bri

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 11:09:14 am »

Easy fix.  I do this with a purchased domain for $32 a year.

No-ip.com

Get a free domain like mymedia.no-ip.com and then install the dynamic update client.  It will update that URL to your IP address every 20 minutes or so.  Then, enter mymedia.no-ip.com:8080 or whatever you use.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 03:25:14 pm »

Yeah, I get a host name for free from dyndns.com.

Mine happens to be [somename].kicks-ass.org

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 07:41:02 pm »

One more request:

An option on the client side to set the port number would be good. I'm locked out from my home library today because it setup on port 81, and I cant change the port number at this end (at work).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 05:59:12 am »

One more request:

An option on the client side to set the port number would be good. I'm locked out from my home library today because it setup on port 81, and I cant change the port number at this end (at work).

Even with this option it would be sort of the chicken or the egg dilemma. You wouldn't be able to connect without changing the port and you wouldn't be able to change the port without a connection.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 06:56:32 am »

Maybe I am missing something, but why cant you set the client port? If i want to define a port, i just write :[port] after the ip in "library properties" / "name" field.
e.g: 127.0.0.1:81
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 07:14:59 am »

Maybe I am missing something, but why cant you set the client port? If i want to define a port, i just write :[port] after the ip in "library properties" / "name" field.
e.g: 127.0.0.1:81

I assumed that park already tried this and the connection was blocked because the network configuration didn't allow using the port 81.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 08:56:08 am »

Actually, I didnt know about that.

I'll try it tomorrow. My work computer is behind a proxy though, so it might be a problem.

Thanks

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 11:15:48 pm »

Library server is great for streaming music, but viewing just one photo takes minutes. Is there any way to have it convert photos, say to jpegs of a set resolution (or maximum resolution)?

Also, a "build thumbnails" doesnt build thumbnails for an image viewshceme. You have to physically go to the viewshceme and wait (for hours) while it builds thumbnails for each photo that is visible in the list.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 09:45:54 am »

Not at the moment... how big are your pictures and what format?

j

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 07:50:58 pm »

They average as 1.5mb per picture. They are mostly jpegs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up