INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warhammer Mark of Chaos kills J River Media Centre  (Read 2282 times)

greebo

Warhammer Mark of Chaos kills J River Media Centre
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:18:53 am »

Hey,

I recently purchased Warhammer Mark Of Chaos and installed it. This had the strange effect of completely hanging J River whenever I click on the drives and devices TAB down the left hand side. I tried uninstalling WMoC but J river continued to hang. I uninstalled J River and re-installed but still it was broken even though WMoC wasn't installed at this point. So I reformatted my hard drive and re-installed windows. As soon as I had a fresh copy of Windows installed (with SP2 and all updates from MS) I installed J River. It worked fine so I tried installing WMoC and once again J River died. Again I had to format and re-install XP.

When J River hangs the PC cannot be shutdown or restarted, other tasks can be performed but I suspect this is due to my PC having a dual processor.

Does this mean I have to choose whether to have J River or Warhammer on my PC and will have to format and re-install XP every time I want to use the other?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
MSI K8N SLI Mobo
2 X 1GB RAM
XFX GeForce 7900GT eXtreme Edition 256MB
M-Audio Audiophile Soundcard
2x200GB Maxtor SATA in RAID 0 Stripe
300GB Maxtor SATAII
120GB Maxtor IDE
DVD ROM
Dual Layer DVD RW

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Warhammer Mark of Chaos kills J River Media Centre
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:23:10 am »

Now that's certainly bizarre!!!  I can't imagine what it's doing that's conflicting with MC.

Do you have any plugins installed for MC or anything like that?

Perhaps Warhammer has some crappy copy protection that installs a driver for the Optical drive?  I've seen this on MANY games...  Do you have any software like Alchohol 120% or Daemon Tools or anything like that installed that the copy protection on the game could be conflicting with (and therefore breaking the virtual drive and therefore messing MC up)?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 11:31:40 am »

I don't own warhammer....
was thinking "starforce" myself.
I've heard of many problems with its various incarnations. touch wood, I've not experienced any 1st hand... yet...

greebo

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:06:02 pm »

I use daemon tools for testing iso's I create for my band http://myspace.com/thelindeans (that's a shameless plug!), but when I reinstalled windows the first time I didn't put any software on other than media centre and warhammer MoC and it still killed J River. Think I'm just gonna try and take Warhammer back and get my money refunded. J River is essential for Music, iPod and TV (I have no other TV) so I can't do without it! Oh yeah and J River puts iTunes and the like firmly in the dark.....

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 12:35:42 pm »

If you have Daemon tools, I'd guess it's a conflict between it and the game.  I don't know about Warhammer myself, but I do know:

a) As Marko indicated, Starforce has been known to completely bork up your optical drive's drivers.  It installs an "intermediary" driver that intercepts all data coming in from and out to the optical drive.  It also intentionally conflicts with stock installs of Daemon tools.

b) Some newer copy protection schemes (such as those employed by Ubisoft on all of their new games), actually scan for and intentionally corrupt systems that have what Ubisoft deems "piracy tools" installed, including: CloneCD/DVD, Alcohol 120%, and Daemon Tools among others.

I, personally, think that companies that sell malware like this should be charged with criminal offenses (intentional destruction of personal property is used against "hackers" all the time).

Good luck returning the game.  I'd say you likely won't have much success (which is another reason the industry pisses me off).  Where else can you intentionally manufacture a defective product, and yet routinely deny customers the opportunity to return it even after very short periods of time?  If you can't, and you still want to play the game, I'd suggest you ask around on the CD Freaks forums.  I'm sure there's a way to crack and remove whatever malware infestation is on the disc...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up