INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 12 genre problem  (Read 2531 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
MC 12 genre problem
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:40:54 am »

When I upgraded form MC11 to MC12 (version 116) more than 10 000 tracks got changed from different genres to blues. I had 341 blues tracks before the upgrade, and now I have 11 185 blues tracks! Luckily I have the backups of the library, so I have opened one of those in an MC 11.1 installation, and I'll get the genre tracks back on...track!  ;D Has anybody else seen anything like this? The genres were only in the library, not in the file tags. And this may be related to that because when I check the tag of many files in Windows, they're not empty. They're actually changed to blues (I removed all tags with MC this summer). And I guess MC read those from the files instead of taking them from the library, that had the correct genre.

Also when I  now do a restore from pre MC 12 with version 116, I get the correct genres. Weirdness indeed....
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC 12 ate my genres...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:41:14 pm »

more than 10 000 tracks got changed from different genres to blues

I wonder if MC is reading your Id3v1.1 tags and if so then the genre you selected was saved to the ID3v2, but since it does not exist in the ID3v1.1 Genre system MC would set the Id3v1.1 tags to "0" this is the Code For "Blues"

Are you saving ID3v2 Tags? If not you may wish to if you don't want this to happen.

If you are try forcing a save from Library to media Tags, then remove this file from MC and then re-import it to see if the genre was saved and read back in correctly.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 02:01:35 pm »

I don't save genre tags at all, that's the strange thing. But I do use V2, since V1 won't accept longer names. But maybe it's because it was set to 0 by removing tags with MC 11.1?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 02:03:21 pm »

The following option may be the culprit: Library Folders->Update for external changes with Auto-Import on!

I ran for some time MC11 and M12 in parallel making changes in MC11. I wanted to make controlled migrations to MC12, but once I forgot to turn auto-import off. As the tags in the files were updated by MC11, on starting MC12 with auto-import on and update for external changes set, MC12 started to update its library from the tag stored in the files, which was not what  I wanted to do. Disabling auto-import and update for external changes stopped this behaviour.

Not 100% sure, but I think that the option "Update for external changes" might override tags stored in the library by different tags set in the file! Maybe J River can clarify!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 02:12:04 pm »

Nope. I have no folders in the auto import, and then it shouldn't do anything, right? I have nothing automated, I control everything manually when it comes to my library!

Edit: And the first library backup from 12 is messed up with wrong genres, but the last 11.1, taken just before I uninstalled that and installed 12, is not messed up, so it happened within those 10 minutes. Sounds to me like a conversion error.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 02:32:31 pm »

But maybe it's because it was set to 0 by removing tags with MC 11.1?

Maybe

You Can Test It Out And See What Happens.

Because If you Have No ID3v2 Genre, MC May Try To get ID3v1 Genre, And if There Is None It Maybe Set To "0" And That Is "Blues"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 02:36:14 pm »

I don't save genre tags at all, that's the strange thing. But I do use V2, since V1 won't accept longer names. But maybe it's because it was set to 0 by removing tags with MC 11.1?
That's the difference between us, i did not remove the existing tags when ripped, just don't update them (ever). The effect is the same.

I have not tried with a recent v12 build..but did not notice anything strange when i tried some time back.

Thing is if it garbled the genre tags, how confident are you about the other fields ?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 02:40:20 pm »

Not confident at all. Which is why I'm restoring the version from before 12, and then I'm gonna do a full XML export from that (I have one from 11.1) and compare those files. That should show if something's wrong.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 02:49:16 pm »

Yeah thats a good idea, its the only way to diff the 2 libraries.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: MC 12 genre problem
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 04:04:27 pm »

But it's not exactly fast... My 2 gig Centrino laptop has worked for 10 minutes now, and only compared 1 %! The exports were close to 100 meg! I think MC12 adds something because that file was 0.3 meg larger.

Edit: Back to the drawing board... Seems like they export in different sortings. Is there a way to either configure that or to export something else that can be compared? The view schemes are of course identical since the MC 12 version is just a restore of the same 11.1 backup that I'm using for comparishment.

Edit 2: I'm trying to export as an HTML play list. Takes a while with 84 K plus tracks, though...

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 04:34:29 pm »

OK, what the heck do I use to compare two 800 meg HTML files? I get out of memory errors on the few I have tried. Any tips?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:21:02 pm »

Typically you will need an order of magnitude more RAM or virtual memory available than the size of the files you are trying to diff, even if the files are very similar. You could try to create an appropriately sized paging file and see if this helps. Otherwise....

Divide & Conquer. Find a variable with which you can break it down into smaller sections.

A smartlist/viewscheme that gives files based on disk partitions, or albums in alphabetical groups [A-G], [H-M]..etc. This might take care of the order as you can sort it anyway you like. Save the result as mpl and do the same with the other build.

Assumption being if the file data is ok, then the rest is too.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 02:06:58 am »

Stop the presses! I see what's happening here! When I went to bed last night, there were 16 albums designated Blues. Now it's Saturday morning, and I have 421 blues albums! Not funny. :( But I guess I'll have to do an image backup with MC12, restore one from before I went to 12 and let 11.1 set genres on all albums, do another full backup of all media files to my carputer and finally restore the image with MC12. What a P.I.T.A.! What I find a bit strange is that a library centric system like MC can't manage to keep a system without tags running. Just as annoying as when I tried running without name, artist and album tags and all [Track name] in MC were changed to [Track # - Track name]. The name field assimilated the track #. And now the tags has assimilated blues. Is this the work of the Borg? Everything's gonna be assimilated?  ;D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 06:07:31 am »

Nope. I have no folders in the auto import, and then it shouldn't do anything, right? I have nothing automated, I control everything manually when it comes to my library!

Have you disabled everything in Auto-import options?

The maintaining functions work in the background even if you have not configured any import folders. If the files do not contain the few default tag fields MC may assign the default values if it updates data for some reason. For disabling everything the options should look like this:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 10:10:40 am »

You're right. That must be it. Silly me, I thought having no folders it wouldn't do anything... This is something that really, really, really should have been off as default! Also explains a few other pecularities that has surfaced. Luckily I have made few changes to my library since I installed MC12. But I need to find those 146 changed files (there were 146 files that didn't take "update tags from library" with genre). I'll open a new thread about how to find them.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 12:13:58 pm »

You're right. That must be it. Silly me, I thought having no folders it wouldn't do anything...

Ahhhhhh.... Yes!  I had similar weirdness a long while ago (and Alex set me straight then too).  Forgot about that entirely!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 12:18:20 pm »

Good thing to have a straight-setter on the board, huh? :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up