INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small tagging request  (Read 1089 times)

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Small tagging request
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:39:08 pm »

When doing a Fill Properties From Filename I would love to see the file name and path of one of (the first, perhaps) files appear in the pop up window. As I grow older I find my short term memory fading somewhat. As it is now I find myself scrolling all the way to the right and expanding the field, usually after I right-click the window open and realize I don't know or remember how the file is named. ?  :'(

When I think of the time I would save I get all tingly and warm.

A corollary would involve seeing a preview of a file name after doing a Rename Files from Properties. Useful in that you could easily see that some files would be renamed badly.

Otherwise I'm extreeeemly happy with MC as a tagging tool. I never used the tagger in v11 or earlier but in 12 it's just so nice and easy.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Small tagging request
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 11:55:05 pm »

Why not add columns for the fields [Filename (name)] and [Filename  (path)] to the viewscheme or Playing Now from where you do the Fill properties from Fielname.

These 2 fields are in all my viewschemes and replace the default [Filename] field. So i usually scroll horizontally to them and then do the Fill Properties, with them in view just below the dialog box. I've done this so many times that its become an unconscious action that i had to think about when you posted.

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:28:33 am »

My request is just for the sake of convenience and efficiency. In the view I use for tagging I can see what I consider most important to my tagging: Name, artist, album, track number and genre. File name fields are off screen to the right and they usually have to be dragged open to see the full path. So when I try to try to fill properties from file name I usually have to

1)Close that window
2)Scroll to the right
3)Fully open the file name fields if not fully visible
4)Reopen the fill properties window
5)Probably drag that window so I can see the file info below them.

I would be so much faster if the file info appeared in the window in the first place.

I'm in the process of adding several hundred (closer to a 1000) mp3 CDs to my CD database and frankly I was less than consistent in my filenaming in the past. Anything that would save some steps would be useful.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:26:37 pm »

A small preview of what you're choices will do would be a really nice addition.

johnnyboy

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 03:40:06 am »

A small preview of what you're choices will do would be a really nice addition.
I agree - great way to help people see if they're writing the syntax correctly.
Its easy to make mistakes when manually typing field names etc in so a preview is a great thing to emphasize any mistakes your making
Pages: [1]   Go Up