INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPOD ejecting  (Read 1485 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
iPOD ejecting
« on: December 10, 2006, 05:22:49 am »

Is there anyway to tell MC to eject an iPOD in the same was the OS is so that it continues to charge the battery?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: iPOD ejecting
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:03:16 am »

If I eject the iPod from within MC, it still charges.  I think this is what you are asking for.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 10:16:40 pm »

If I eject the iPod from within MC, it still charges.

not in my case. ejecting it (60gb video) in MC12 completely removes the device from the system, much like "stopping" the device using the Safely Remove Hardware feature in the system tray (winxp).

i usually eject the ipod in explorer - but then it still shows up in the device list in the tree. i'm with Qythyx on this   it'd be more useful to allow the ipod to keep charging. but then it should disappear from the tree view.

lOth

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 10:59:24 pm »

we might have version differences, either with the software or the hardware here.

I use MC 12.0.129, a 40gb photo iPod with 1.2.1 firmware and ejecting from MC is definitely the same as ejecting at the OS level for me: the iPod disappears from Explorer and is still charging.  I thought this was settled a long time ago.

Besides, I don't see how an iPod can be not charging when attached to your computer. My understanding is that when it is attached you can only get the "do not disconnect" message or the charging battery icon, and that in both cases the battery is charging.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 11:26:38 pm »

i'm using 12.0.129, a 60gb video ipod with 1.2 firmware. ejecting with MC12 has always had the same results for me, tho with 11.1 the behaviour was inconsistent between builds. however the behaviour was always one of two (that i remember), that is;

1) ipod is stopped completey, disappears from tree view, no charging
2) ipod ejects, still charging, but remains in the tree view. you appear to be able to perform functions on the ipod like syncing, browsing etc, but it is merely an illusion.

Besides, I don't see how an iPod can be not charging when attached to your computer. My understanding is that when it is attached you can only get the "do not disconnect" message or the charging battery icon, and that in both cases the battery is charging.

the OS can cut power to the device. stopping it using Safely Remove Hardware cuts power to it, so it won't charge anymore (maybe you could check if you get the same results doing this with your ipod?). ejecting within MC is doing this same thing for me, though i'm not exactly sure why it doesn't do it for you. do you have any drivers installed for the ipod? i don't have itunes or any ipod drivers on my system - maybe that makes a difference?

or possibly your hardware setup doesn't allow for cutting power to the USB ports.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:45:05 pm »

I have the same setup. 

MC 12.0.129
iPod 60gb 5th generation
software v1.2

When I eject the iPod from within MC, it disappears totally - but still charges.

Maybe there is some other difference - but everything works perfect for me.

BTW - I'm using XP sp2.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 12:26:12 am »

here's a test;

1) plug your ipod in, make sure it's visible in both windows explorer and MC.
2) eject the ipod using windows explorer

does the ipod disappear from the MC tree view?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 11:05:33 pm »

Is there anyway to tell MC to eject an iPOD in the same was the OS is so that it continues to charge the battery?

This is working for me since updating to 12.0.147. Ejecting within MC ejects the ipod correctly and charging continues. (I didn't see the change listed in the build reports tho).

However, the ipod is still listed as available in the MC tree.  Seems reasonable to me to expect it to disappear - requiring me to unplug and plug the ipod back in to make it appear again.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 01:02:57 am »

Sorry to bump this again, but I've just noticed something else about this ejecting inconsistency.

There's two possible outcomes when ejecting from MC (on my laptop);

On eject from MC:
1) "Do not disconnect" screen on iPod disappears (replaced by main menu) but it stops charging. The iPod disappears from the tree view in MC.
2) "Do not disconnect" screen on iPod disappears (replaced by main menu) and it continues charging. The iPod remains in the tree view in MC. On physically removing the USB cable from either computer or iPod, the iPod disappears from tree view in MC.

Outcome 1 happens when I've done a sync in that session, outcome 2 happens if I've not done a sync in that session.
Pages: [1]   Go Up