INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ won't play or rip music cd's  (Read 4927 times)

Deerhunter

MJ won't play or rip music cd's
« on: September 04, 2002, 11:48:20 am »

My MJ 8 version 3.56 won't play or rip ordinary music cd's. It will play mp3's on disk. Windows media and Real audio will play the same cd's so I know it isn't my cd player. When I disable digital playback the cd appears to play but I get no sound.

Dangerous

RE:MJ won't play or rip music cd's
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2002, 12:14:48 pm »

I don't use that option but I would guess that it requuires that short MPC cable between your CD drive and the sound card.

David

Deerhunter

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2002, 10:20:24 pm »

I don't think so. MJ is designed to rip cd's. I have played them before. If it can't read a wave cd then it can't rip it.

Deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2002, 01:21:43 pm »

Okay again. MJ8 3.56 will not play or rip music cd's. Real Audio and Windows Media will. When I disable digital playback it appears to play the cd but I get no song. I tried 3 encoders, ape, wma, and mp3.
I have a big party coming up in two weeks and I want desperately to rip some cd's to my hard drive.  Oh yes MJ will play mp3 cd's.

Deerhunter

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2002, 01:24:21 pm »

I also tried ripping in wave format. Same error messages.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2002, 01:55:02 pm »

I'll ask JohnT to reply tomorrow.  Sorry but he missed this today.

Did you try the FAQ here and the sections on ASPI?

Did you try switching between analog and digital playback for the CD?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

cjdshaw

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2002, 03:26:29 pm »

A few points, Deerhunter:

Stop referring to "wave CD's". You're only confusing the issue. For your first few posts, I thought you were referring to CD-ROM's with wav files on them. If you're referring to a CD that plays on a normal CD player, they're called CD-DA's, or more usually "audio CD's".

Digital playback and ripping should work. If it's not, that may be an ASPI problem or a MJ fault. Check digital playback is turned on in the Windows Device Manager (Control Panels->System->Hardware). Also try the FAQ but otherwise it's over to the JRiver guys.

Analogue playback ("Use digital playback" turned off) and analogue ripping (Type set to Analog) both require the 3 wire audio cable between your CD drive and your sound card/motherboard. If you're getting apparent playback but no sound, I'm guessing you don't have this cable.

It always helps if you include your system info (Help->System Info) and the exact error message or behaviour you're getting.

Deerhunter

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2002, 09:42:12 pm »

I get the error message Open drive failed. Parameter is out of range.
As for the three wire cable between my drive and the sound card, how come both real audio and windows media will play the cd. Also I have played audio cd's before with MJ.
 I have a Turtle Beach Montego II soundcard using Windows Media on Dell Dimension 450 with 250 meg ram. Will now check out FAQ on aspi.
Thanks

Deerhunter

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2002, 09:47:50 pm »

I forgot I have a Hewlett Packard CD writer plus as my cd drive. I tried both analog and digital playback.

Deerhunter

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2002, 10:48:52 pm »

Curious why Windows Media Player will play audio cd's when MJ needs a cable from the cd drive to the sound card?

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2002, 05:29:53 am »

Please post your system info here (it's available from the MJ help menu). Also describe the cd-rom drives you have on the system.

If you're using windows NT, 2000 or XP:
1. try setting the "Type:" field in device settings to IDE, and then try ASPI to see if either settings works better for ripping. Make sure the copy mode is set to "digital large buffer" or "digital secure".
2. if that doesn't help, go to the "cd writer settings" page and change the setting of the "use internal aspi layer" checkbox. You have to reboot for this change to take effect. Then try the #1 suggestion again.

Do you have multiple cd-rom drives? As a last resort, try shutting down the computer, disconnect all but one of them, restart and see if things work better. Before shutting down, reset the drive "Type:" field to "auto config" and the "use internal aspi" checkbox to checked.

Let us know.

Thanks,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

cjdshaw

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2002, 07:03:04 am »

EVERYTHING needs the 3 wire cable for analogue playback. It's possible that Media Jukebox and RealPlayer are using digital playback.

Several other people have reported the "Parameter out of range" error in these threads:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=13227
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=11080
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=10731

The common factor seems to be that they're all running Windows 98. Let me see if you are ... Oh hang on, you didn't post your system info. Support is much better under Windows 2000 and XP.

Deerhunter

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2002, 11:39:17 am »

I have Windows Media. Sorry I listed all this stuff on another thread. My cd-dv drive that came with the computer doesn't work. I will be getting a new one. The drive I am using is a hp cd-writer plus 8200. There is a jack in the front of the drive. Is that where you connect the cord. Sorry if I am slow with the info. I probably need the mpc cord since this is an exterior drive. The interior drive that is broke probably already is hooked to the sound card. If Wmp is playing the cd in digital mode, why won't mj play it in digital mode.
Please be patient with me. I love the program and bought another copy for my daughter and have recommended it to 5 or 6 others who I'm sure have or will buy the program. Thanks

Kevin B

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2002, 03:48:51 pm »

I have the same problem. I had version 7 on my system and it worked fine. I tried upgrading to version 8 and immediately had this problem. I uninstalled version 8 and reinstalled version 7 and have this problem with that version now too. My machine has always been able to rip digitally. What do I have to do to get back to a clean version 7? Version 8 looks nice, but I don't need the headaches.
Thanks.
Kevin B

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2002, 06:10:34 am »

Deerhunter:

Are you able to disconnect the broken cd drive? You just need to turn off the computer and unplug the power cord and the data cord (ribbon cable) on the back of the drive. Then restart and see if you still get the "parameter out of range" error message. Also, could you post your system info into this thread?

Thanks,
John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Kevin B

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2002, 02:17:51 pm »

I am still able to run Windows Media Player and rip/play digitally. I have 2 cd-roms on my machine:
Memorex cd-402E
LG rewritable 8x4x32x

Media Jukebox 8 seems to run about 10 times slower than version 7 did. My hdd light stays on for extended periods and screen redraws are extremely long. I tried playing and ripping with one of the cd-rom drives open (something I read in a different thread) but it didn't work any better.

Please help.
Thanks.
Kevin B

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.365
Install Path: D:\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1532 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 340 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Deerhunter

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2002, 08:19:25 pm »

Checked my aspi and says it is okay. Will try to disconnect the broken cd player tomorrow.
using:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.356
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium II 452 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 70 MB

Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1017) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1998 Adaptec, Inc.

Also have:
hp cd writer 6200 plus (usb)
usb 2 card
maxtor 40 gig usb hard drive

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2002, 05:32:14 am »

KevinB-

If you will email me at johnt @ jriver.com I'll send you a debugging program that may help pinpoint the problem.

Thanks,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.

Deerhunter

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2002, 01:29:52 pm »

I disconnected the broken cd player. The f: drive with the cd writer came up fine but still wouldn't play or rip the files in digital mode.
The new error message says read track failed failed to extract digital audio.
May try to connect the mpc chord from the broken cd to my cd writer and see if that works.

deerhunter

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2002, 05:30:37 am »

tried the email download. Wouldn't work in digital format. Tried analog format and it ripped the file but when I tried to play it I got no sound.

Deerhunter

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2002, 02:01:18 pm »

Can I get some help or am I going to have rip the cd's with WMP.

JohnT

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2002, 08:17:06 am »

Deerhunter-
Can MJ burn CD's with this drive?

Deerhunter

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2002, 10:45:30 am »

Yes once I get music on my hard drive it will write cd's.

Paul

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2002, 05:07:40 pm »

I have this exact same problem.  I am about to tear my hair out.  I have plexor scsi CD and CDRW (the ultraplex is supposed to be the best for digital ripping available) and I get the same error.

I'm very unhappy - this is the kind of thing that makes me angry that I actually paid for software.  I used warez copies of music software for a long time but finally felt it was worth it to support the companies doing the work and what do I get for it - a product that won't do what I want.

Please help.

Paul

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2002, 05:12:28 pm »

Oh - a couple other things:

1) I do have ASPI installed and updated - aspichk says it's working fine.

2) I just did a search on this topic and came up with MANY threads of people having the same problem since version 8 came out.   JRiver needs to acknowledge a problem here and fix it, or I want my money back.

JimH

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2002, 05:36:41 pm »

Paul,
There are a lot of places this can go wrong.  MJ is only one of those.  Please try the latest version of 8.0 from the downloads page and read the FAQ carefully.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

Deerhunter

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2002, 03:40:46 am »

I have the latest version of mj and it still won't work. My HP cd-writer plus is a common cd player writer so I don't understand why it don't work. I am patient and don't plan to ask for a refund but just want to keep working on this problem until we get it solved.
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.365
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium II 447 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 96 MB

Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1017) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1998 Adaptec, Inc.

HP CD-writer 8200 plus USB
Turtlebeach Sound Card Montego II
Maxtor 40 gig exterior usb hard drive

(cd writer will burn cd's from mp3's that are on my hard drive)
WON'T PLAY OR RIP CDA CD'S Thanks.

Deerhunter

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2002, 04:56:40 am »

Horray, As my 5 yrs old grandson would say, "I did it all by myself"

I went to HP home page and downloaded the latest drivers for my hp cdwriter 8200. Voila it now rips cd's. Strange though when I try to play a cda cd in digital format it appears to play but I only get static. It won't play in non digital format. But thats okay, at least I can get my cd collection on my hard drive.

Listening to: 'Memories Of El Monte' from 'Rock) / Art Laboe's Memories Of El Monte' by 'The Penguins' on Media Jukebox

JimH

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2002, 05:03:46 am »

Congratulations on getting it going.   And thanks for your patience.
Jim Hillegass

Paul

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2002, 06:27:40 am »

I do have the latest version of MJ. I have the latest ASPI.  I can't rip with the gold standard CDR drive that is out there.  Would appreciate some help from MJ themselves.

JimH

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2002, 06:39:29 am »

Paul, this is MJ.  Please try the FAQ and read the many other suggestions here and in other threads.
Jim Hillegass

Paul

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2002, 01:48:15 pm »

JimH:

I've read the faq.  My drive is supported.  My ASPI using aspichk.exe shows up as fine (and win2k doesn't even need ASPI anyway, from what I understand).  I still cannot rip.  If there is a solution, I want to hear what it is, please!  If not, my money was totally wasted.

JimH

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2002, 02:00:32 pm »

Did you try the generic option.

Can you play from the drive using MJ?

Cabling can be a problem as well.  Try a search at google for CD problems.
Jim Hillegass

Paul

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2002, 06:28:02 pm »

I cannot reliably play using digital playback - sometimes it will start to play, but if I try to skip to the next track it will stop playing.  Often when I select a track on the CD and click play the selection bar skips down several tracks and it won't play.

I can play just fine using analog play.  I get the same thing from both my CDRW and CD.

Not sure what "generic option" is.

I've looked into some google threads, but I figured if MJ can't solve their own software problems for a paying customer, then why am I paying for the product? Where am I wrong on that expectation?

I really like the interface, but I getting very discouraged.

The 2 SCSI CD drives are on their own channel and cable and they both work fine for data work so I don't believe this is a cabling problem.

Paul

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2002, 07:23:05 pm »

I am so frustrated that I went and downloaded another program: Easy CD-DA Extractor.

It rips just fine using the exact same hardware and ASPI.  

This is clearly a Media Jukebox problem.

I bought MJ because I wanted an all-in-one solution.  It clearly doesn't provide that in my case.  I hope you can walk me through a fix or else I want my money back.

JohnT

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2002, 09:09:22 am »

Paul, check on the "devices settings" page in MJ and see what is selected in the drive "type" field for the drive your are ripping from. On Win2k/XP systems, MJ can use two methods of reading from CD drives. It selects what it thinks should be the best method, but you can manually change it to the other method and see if it works better. If "aspi" is selected, try "ide". If "ide" is selected, try "aspi".
The ripping "mode" should be set at either "digital large buffer" or "digital secure".

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.

JohnT

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2002, 10:43:48 am »

If you're the same Paul who sent me an email, I tried replying to the email but it got rejected by your email server with this error message: "554 SPAM-Relay detected". Must be an over-active spam detection system.

- John T.
Pages: [1]   Go Up