INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update tags over network is sloow  (Read 1491 times)

Agren

Update tags over network is sloow
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:53:54 pm »

Hi,

I have MC11 installed on my laptop, mainly using it to sync iPods. I have all my files, music, books and podcasts on a central server running linux. I'm connecting to the server using samba. Now, the problem is when changeing the tags on my files, it takes absolutely forever to do that over the network. Is this a known problem? And if so, anyone have any idea how to fix it?

thanks in advance
Agren

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Update tags over network is sloow
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 03:43:50 pm »

Options:

A) Make sure that MC's library (the database files not the media files themselves) is on a local drive.  Performance is terrible when MC has high latency to the database.  It is by default, but you may have changed it thinking that it makes better logical sense to have the library files stored on the network volume with the media files.  If so, don't.

B) Disable automatic writing of tags to the files.  This is why it's slow.  Every time you "change" a tag, it has to download the entire file and then save that file back to the network drive.  This can be disabled via: Tools --> Options --> General --> Importing & Tagging --> Update tags when file info changes.  If that option is disabled, the "tags" will be stored only in MC's database rather than within the files themselves.  When I used to use this option, I would manually run a Tools --> Library Tools --> Update Tags (from Library) to resync the in-file tags every so often.

B) Get a faster network.  I run a Gigabit wired LAN (with a high-quality 3Com switch) and it works quite well.  Since switching to Gigabit, I no longer have to keep the option described above disabled to get acceptable tagging performance.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Agren

Re: Update tags over network is sloow
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 11:47:41 am »

Ok, thanks. I was thinking along those lines...

Thanks for the help, I'll use your option A here, option B doesn't play out well since I'm on a wlan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up