INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What will MC 12 offer over MC 11?  (Read 2669 times)

bigmikey

• Recent member
What will MC 12 offer over MC 11?
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:38:50 am »

Hi guys. I am a long time paying customer of JRiver products, and I am trying out the latest beta version of MC 12. Since 40 bucks is a pretty healthy amount for a media player, I am wondering if somebody can tell me what MC 12 will offer, that makes it worth the upgrade? So far, it looks and functions much the same as MC 11, so there must be features I am not seeing, Please understand I am very happy with the past upgrades I have purchased, but I'm not seeing 40 bucks in this one. Set me straight.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: What will MC 12 offer over MC 11?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 05:17:02 am »

Hi guys. I am a long time paying customer of JRiver products, and I am trying out the latest beta version of MC 12. Since 40 bucks is a pretty healthy amount for a media player, I am wondering if somebody can tell me what MC 12 will offer, that makes it worth the upgrade? So far, it looks and functions much the same as MC 11, so there must be features I am not seeing, Please understand I am very happy with the past upgrades I have purchased, but I'm not seeing 40 bucks in this one. Set me straight.

JimH lists these features:

MC12 BETA is available on the download page

Just above the download button on this page: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html

Features:

* New default look "Noire"
* EXIF image tag information is imported into the library for use in view schemes, searches, etc.
* New "Display View" that replaces Full Screen View and Windowed View with a more streamlined look
* On-the-fly bad pixel filtering in images to mask CCD or other defects with images
* New default Mini View called "Slim" that's based off the standard skin
* Media modes replaced by new left navigation system in player
* Major speedups to searching (over 11x faster), sorting (over 3x faster), view switching, and program startup
* Burning multiple CD sets at once as well as splitting large audiofiles (books, podcasts, etc.) across discs
* Improved support for Audible files
* Improved handheld device support
* DVD filter selection
* Filter selection, color controls, and many other video playback enhancements
* Otto -- Background (auto) import with optional folder watching
* New tag system for streamlined file organization and tagging
* QT video thumbnails
* Transparency in menus
* Animated buttons on mouse-over
* Cover Art display in Action Window
* Mouse-wheel zooming and panning for video, DVD, and TV
* IPTC tag support for images (read and write)
* Theater View navigation improvements
* Theater View animation
* Improved network sharing -- first user has r/w access, others have read/only
* Caching of converted files for uploads to handheld devices so conversions happen just once
* Integration of google video, YouTube, Shoutcast and other media streaming services
* Improved upload of images to web sites

The upgrade price is not $40.

A quote from the MC12 beta forum: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36064.0
(the beta forum may not be visible to new forum members):
If this is your first purchase of JRiver Media Center, the price is $39.98. ...

If you currently own Media Jukebox 8.0 or Media Center 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, or 11.1, the price to upgrade from any of these is $19.98. ...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bigmikey

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:43:33 am »

JimH lists these features:

The upgrade price is not $40.

A quote from the MC12 beta forum: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36064.0
(the beta forum may not be visible to new forum members):

Thanks, that helps a lot. The price seems fair, considering the upgrade is from a very recent version.  I'll have to poke around and try to see what these new features do.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:06:33 pm »

I think it does a few things in the background (like save tags, and import files) etc... and since your not waiting on MC to finish it does tend to make for a happy user.

No matter what version editing tags with a large amount of files in the library tends to be slow. when you cut that list down to maybe a few hundred files (From in my case 250,000 mp3's, Thats Kind Of An Absurd Number Of Files I Know) the tagging is nice and fast.

The only Thing I can think of is the large amount of files in the list and how mc access that list to make changes tends to make changes slow on large file lists.

I just ordered a 1.5 Terabyte Drive Today (Maxtor III Turbo, 800 Firewire) so i will have 5 Terabytes of files in all. I may Need A New Computer Soon To Keep MC Running Smoother On The Larger Library.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

johannod

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 08:14:37 am »

I have just installed MC12 and can confirm that the interaction speed has improved. I have imorted some 12000+ mp3 files and the UI is much more responsive. Note that I am running it on a computer with a rather good graphics card (GeForce 6800 GT) and a resonable good processor (AMD 64bit 3200+ 2 GHz).

This improvement alone is almost worth an upgrade (but is not really worth the price - MC11.1 should not be slow...). I have not yet tried it out thoroughly but there are a some user interaction improvements made. However, this could be taken a step further (for the final 12 release??):

Combine Panes/Genres/Artist/Album views styles.
These view schemes seems to divert. For example, double clicking a stack of albums opens the stack (which IS a good alternative behaviour!) although the option for double-clicking says to start playing now (Options...). The combined view paradigm should make it possible to:
  - add/remove vertical panes (above/below a pane)
  - show thumbnails in any pane
This would make the separate Genre/Artist/Album view unnecessary and the whole "Panes" view can be removed (and relevant options are moved down to the pane itself). Now this would maybe make it necessary to have two types of panes, which can be called "filter pane" and "view pane" respectively. The options for a filter pane are thus different from the options of a view pane. The filter pane may require additional options to simulate the current Genre/Artist/Album views (e.g., enabling drill-down from one filter pane to another. I.e., double-click: either playing now, drill-down, or do nothing). With this new behaviour I could easily have:
   - a top left filter pane showing genres in stacks with genres
   - a right filter pane showing a thumblist view of artists.
   - a middle vertical filter pane showing thumbnails of albums.
   - a bottom vertical view pane showing details.
In addition it is desirable to have quick buttons for a view that allows for quick resizing of the panes to user predefined sizes. Thus, I would like to have three buttons saying "Large artists", "Large albums", and "Large details", which resizes all panes in the view to the size setting (customizable, of course!).

Non-obstructive arrangement of bottom-left details
The detail view in the bottom left corner has a onsbtructive behaviour. The panels do not stick to its place but gets a new place when it is expanded. This rearrangement behaviour has poor rememberability support. I understand the reason why the open panel shall be displayed above the closed ones, but that reason is not stronger... It should thus also be possible to rearrange the order of the panes and have that order stick.

Well, that's that for now. I will likely find more things... ;-) Anyhow, good work!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 01:40:37 pm »

* Major speedups to searching (over 11x faster), sorting (over 3x faster), view switching, and program startup

its noticeable.

Absurrrd

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 05:18:14 am »

Greetings,
I noticed Bigmikey said he was longtime paying customer of JRiver products and It made me wonder, does that mean there other products JRiver offers besides Media Center?
                                                                                  Chris

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 11:53:14 am »

Yes They Do

http://www.icetcp.com/

Not Sure If This Is Current But Still On A Few Pages

Phoenix
En.gen, a division of JRiver, builds high performance UNIX and NT servers.

Also There Was Media Jukebox, And Media Center To Include Each Upgrade.

I think they have had some other programs also.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up