INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: storing library data in tags - good or bad?  (Read 1836 times)

broncodan

• World Citizen
storing library data in tags - good or bad?
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:55:19 am »

Hi all,

I only keep the standard items in my actual file tags (idv3 2) - artist, album, track , year, etc.

I have all types of other information that is actually in my MC library - lyrics, ratings, etc

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having all the extra data in the tags?  I am contemplating doing this but wasn't sure one way or the other. 

Any opinions/advice/comments?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: storing library data in tags - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:15:01 pm »

I only keep the most basic tags, Artist, album, name, track number and genre, in the files. The problem with having more there is that the files will change every time you change that info in any way, and it's a pain in the you-know-what for backup purposes.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:21:40 pm »

I take the other tack.  I store basically everything MC can in the file tags.

It does have the effect Mastiff explained, but that doesn't really bother me.  My backup procedures could certainly be more robust, but I basically just make full replicas every so often (no incremental stuff), so I don't really care.

Storing as many tags as possible in the files themselves makes moving files around between different computers (of which I use a ton) a lot easier.  That's more important to me than the incremental backup stuff.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

Store in the tags, then they are portable to any system. I use JR at home, an ipod on the go,  and who knows what work will let me use (or block).

Tags are the best way. But for some stupid reason MC thinks that "year" is a non-standard field.  Haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:30:04 pm »

Store in the tags. I moved my files to a new machine (and a new library) recently and lost all my custom fields.

j

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 10:36:34 pm »

Does anyone know of any software or hardware that will choke on non-standard tags?

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:39:40 pm »

I take the other tack.  I store basically everything MC can in the file tags.

It does have the effect Mastiff explained, but that doesn't really bother me.  My backup procedures could certainly be more robust, but I basically just make full replicas every so often (no incremental stuff), so I don't really care.

Storing as many tags as possible in the files themselves makes moving files around between different computers (of which I use a ton) a lot easier.  That's more important to me than the incremental backup stuff.

My method too, works great for me.  No retagging is ever necessary when moving files around.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 03:31:23 pm »

So it appears if you keep things in one place then you can have robust faster backups, file checksums etc.

So i only store the most basic tags in the files and then never touch them again. Absolutely no tag updates allowed once files are imported into MC. Not like any other app can read any of MCs internal tags anyway. This has the added benefit that MC is a lot faster on the P3 that i run it on.

Of course then you have to be rather careful with your MC library files, frequent backups etc. I would not advise to do this until you are comfortable with MC.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 04:06:20 pm »

Anyone feel like condensing this info and adding it to the wiki? The tagging section is one of the least complete and could use some attention.

Thanks,

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up