INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Latest Build" theads and availability of previous builds.  (Read 3844 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Latest Build" theads and availability of previous builds.
« on: December 13, 2006, 09:58:33 pm »

I'm confused by the announcement that old builds of MC will no longer be available from JR.  What happens if the "latest" build has problems, and we don't happen to have the last few builds downloaded yet?  In the past, we would be able to download and revert to previous versions in order to see when the problem started.  Now, however, unless we already have all the recent versions downloaded, we won't be able to do this -- we'll have to instead jump all the way back to the last version we have saved, which will make troubleshooting much more difficult, as well as potentially preventing us from getting the "best" version at any time.  I'm not always able to get the new versions right away, so I rely on a few of them remaining available from JR for a little while.

I'm simply curious why only one version is now being made available.  This can't be a "space" issue since the exe file is quite small by today's standards, so I don't understand what the reason is behind this.

Also, will the "build" threads continue?  The 130 thread was locked and made unsticky, but a new one has not replaced it, which has not been the normal procedure for JR for the past several years (the "current" build was always open and sticky until a new build was available.)  The build threads have always been absolutely essential sources of information for people troubleshooting the program, so I can't help wondering if these are being stopped for some reason, and if so, why.

Thanks,

Larry

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Re: "Latest Build" theads and availability of previous builds.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 10:08:58 pm »

I, too, am confused by this strategy.  I will no longer download the latest build until much later.  If others do so as well, the benefit of the forum members feedback to the development team will be reduced.

If it's simply a case of space / archiving / version tracking, I would suggest keeping just the last 5 or so builds live on the FTP site.

In terms of the individual build bug reports, without a formal bug tracking strategy (e.g. using bugtracker), how on earth will the bugs and what's going on in different versions be understandable by us mere mortals?

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 12:03:39 am »

And there is also no thread per build?!
12.0.130 is currently locked.
Any concerns should be logged in seperate logs??
I do not see (yet?) why this is mor efficient........ ?
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:07:30 am »

I just downloaded 12.0.131 from a new forum under the "General" level - pop up and have a look...
Cheers
Rob

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 12:30:28 am »

I just downloaded 12.0.131 from a new forum under the "General" level - pop up and have a look...

You're right -- it never even occured to me to look in a different forum for this.  Thanks for pointing that out.

That said, I'm still just as confused by the change.  We now have a "beta" forum and a "latest beta build" forum.  Isn't this completely redundant?  What is the point of having the "recent builds" thread in a different forum?  We now have TWO forums where bug reports are going to be posted.  I honestly don't understand the change, which just seems to make things less logical.

Thanks for any clarification on this,

Larry

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:35:15 am »

It seems only you lucky "MC12 Beta Team" members have access to the bleeding edge builds now.

The rest of us are stuck checking the download page and guessing what's changed since the last build...

-John

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 01:44:43 am »

It seems only you lucky "MC12 Beta Team" members have access to the bleeding edge builds now.

The rest of us are stuck checking the download page and guessing what's changed since the last build...

-John
You could have MC do that for you via the 'check for updates' feature. (assuming that it's wired in to the stable releases posted on the download page)

gappie

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 02:22:47 am »

guess they had a reason to make a beta-beta forum. but why take the latest build thread at the top away. the 11 forum has it. it is an easy way to see whats the latest build.

NickM

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 02:23:59 am »

It would appear that having opened the MC12 beta test to more users (myself included), we are now excluded from the most recent beta release.  So, we would be TOTALLY wasting our time posting comments and picking up bugs looking at anything but the latest beta build.

Thoroughly confused....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 06:57:43 am »

The latest public build is on the download page.

NickM

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 08:19:58 am »

So, we would be TOTALLY wasting our time posting comments and picking up bugs looking at anything but the latest beta build.
Are we wasting effort doing this?

A more comprehensive explanation than
would perhaps be appropriate.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 08:33:30 am »

How do you get there from here?
. . . the game is rigged

JimH

• Administrator

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 08:37:27 am »

Where can I find that???
A day without laughing is a day without living

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 08:48:35 am »

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html
Jim,

Why is this??
The Media Center 12.0 Beta part of the Interact forum still says 'New versions of MC12.0 available. Please report bugs here.'
New versions of MC12.0 aren't there anymore I presume. Can I still post bugs there?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 08:56:07 am »

There is a little information on the MC11 board, but I've just copied it to the MC12 board here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=37740.msg257172#msg257172

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 09:01:54 am »

There is a little information here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=37669.0

Indeed, a little information. But why did you do that? So now I can't have the latest build anymore as I did before.

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 09:06:12 am »

It's clear that the above-described confusion, combined by the locking of the .130 thread, along with the oblique explanations, point to some issue or policy decision that the developers wish to keep secret.

However, with no clear information, people will speculate - so be prepared for multiple threads of such.
THAT's what I'm talking about.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 09:06:33 am »

When we think that most people need (or will benefit from) a newer build of MC12, we'll make it public.  This may happen every week or two now.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 09:13:06 am »

When we think that most people need (or will benefit from) a newer build of MC12, we'll make it public.  This may happen every week or two now.
I very much regret this step. I think that I benefit from every new build of MC12 and til now JRiver did think so too obviously.

gappie

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 09:45:06 am »

thanks for putting the latest build back at the top of the forum. :)

lOth

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 12:31:28 pm »

I'm a bit confused by this move.

This may happen every week or two now.

I guess I'll be visiting a little less often then. It's not like I've been very active recently but I always had a look at new threads (and sometimes commented) when I came here for the new beta.

But I'm sure you've considered you would get less feedback when you decided to do this. Anyway, see you in a couple weeks ;)

Robin731

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 01:27:39 pm »

When we think that most people need (or will benefit from) a newer build of MC12, we'll make it public.  This may happen every week or two now.

Wow.  In the two weeks that I've had MC12 on my computer I've found and helped track down two significant iPod bugs.  The latest one is allegedly fixed in 12.0.131, but I don't know that for sure since I'm not one of the people who "need" it.  So I'm sitting here looking forward to another week or two of being unable to sync my iPod, or even test the latest fix for my sync problem, and wondering exactly what I'm doing with MC12 on my system.

Closed beta programs are fine, if you're commited to that model.  Open beta programs are fine, if you're commited to that model.  But I'm not sure this kind of hybrid is really viable, at least for those of us on the outside.  If you're releasing software with critical bugs in it (which is the whole point of a beta program) then you really need to give everyone prompt access to the fixes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up