INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synchronized Play Yet?  (Read 729 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Synchronized Play Yet?
« on: December 14, 2006, 09:26:38 pm »

Since I haven't been to this forum for a few weeks now, I haven't been keeping up with the latest developments and hot discussion like I usually did.  I was going through my finals week in college and had to devote all my time to that but now I'm done for Christmas break!  Yay!

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there has been any more developments with synchronized play...?  Remember how I was saying how it would be nice if there was a way to stream music to multiple instances of MC?  Well, as many of you have probably figured out, it is Christmas time and that means lots of parties, family, friends, and gatherings.  I want to fill our house with music.  While I don't have big, expensive house audio systems, I do have very decent speakers in almost every room with a computer.  Therefore, it would be quite impressive if there was a way to stream the same music from one computer to the rest and get synced audio throughout the house.

If this feature is being worked on, here are a few ideas and considerations:
1. It would be neat if there was a way to control audio volume on each computer independently.
2. It almost seems like MC would only have to send the audio file with a delay to start playing so the client would start playing the audio file after the delay has passed (3 seconds, for instance).  It could also send a negative time which would just subtract from the duration of the song.  If there is buffering or other issues, MC would just jump to the "correct" time based on when it should have started playing.
3. Streaming the actual audio seems like a lot of overhead and buffering issues would only be compounded in this case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up