INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD seeking is buggy...  (Read 2552 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
DVD seeking is buggy...
« on: December 10, 2006, 04:09:58 am »

... when done using the CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW keys. I have these mapped to the appropriate buttons on my remote (10 secs back, 30 sec forward) which works great for videos. When I use these same keys for seeking a DVD though, I get slow seek updates, lockups and MC crashes. The problem is much worse if you pause before seeking. I'm using Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 decoders.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: DVD seeking is buggy...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 12:57:34 pm »

Just thought I'd mention that I've tried alternate dvd filters (windvd) and the problem is still there. As I said, seeking (repeadedly) while in a paused playback state is worse and will eventually crash MC but even attempting to seek slowly while not paused can cause all sorts of problems - stuttering, repeated frames, slowness. Any chance of a fix for this please?

Now, i understand that the CTRL+ARROW keys (the visual seek thingy) works ok with dvd but this would mean yet another button(s) to map on the remote control for seeking. CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW keys (jump seek) works great for all other video types and is actually what I'd prefer to use for DVD anyway...

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 09:43:08 am »

I can reproduce the problem when DVD is paused. When DVD is not paused, it works "more or less". There is a latency issue which is intrinsic to DVD playback. We may not be able to overcome that at all.

I have changed code a bit to flush data at every command that allows flushing. This may or may not improve the jump-seek performance. The Jump-Seek-while-paused problem is solved to the extent that it now will work as well as jump-seek-while-not-paused.

Please test the next build.

Overall, using jump-seek in quick succession as a FF/REW tool is not recommended. This is unique to DVD. In fact for Video playback and TV, I implemented FF/REW by using quick succession of seeks. DVD has its own FF/REW methods that works well (i.e. Ctrl+Arrow). Use it when you can.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 03:12:07 pm »

DVD has its own FF/REW methods that works well (i.e. Ctrl+Arrow). Use it when you can.

This is a real shame though because it means we need to map 2 EXTRA FF/REW buttons for seeking DVDs. Not only that, who-ever's using the system needs to then be aware of which set of seek buttons to use for what media type. Sounds messy..... If I may make a suggestion please.... If jump-seek is so problematic for DVDs then you're probably not going to want people to use it anyway. Is it not possible for you to trap when a CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW key to sent while watching a DVD and simply converting that to the CTRL+ARROW command?

Thanks again for investigating this....
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 03:52:50 pm »

If jump-seek is so problematic for DVDs then you're probably not going to want people to use it anyway. Is it not possible for you to trap when a CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW key to sent while watching a DVD and simply converting that to the CTRL+ARROW command?

That would be ideal for me as well...

Of course, I don't generally play DVDs (that's what god invented DVD Decrypter and AutoMKV/AutoGK for), so it doesn't happen to me very much.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 04:00:14 pm »

If jump-seek is so problematic for DVDs then you're probably not going to want people to use it anyway. Is it not possible for you to trap when a CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW key to sent while watching a DVD and simply converting that to the CTRL+ARROW command?

Well, it is problematic only if you try to use it in quick successions, i.e. trying to use it as FF/REW. CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW is still useful for occasional jumping forward for 30 seconds. The whole issue is that DVD commands are asynchronous, and the commands do not immediately take effect after you issue them.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 04:13:24 pm »

who-ever's using the system needs to then be aware of which set of seek buttons to use for what media type.

That is not accurate. The two sets of keys have different purpose for all three video playbacks (DVD, video, TV). You do not need to remember which set is for which type. Ctrl+shift+Arrow is for jumping forward 30 seconds (backward 10 seconds), while Ctrl+Arrow is for FF/REW. True for all three types.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 04:19:27 pm »

That is not accurate. The two sets of keys have different purpose for all three video playbacks (DVD, video, TV). You do not need to remember which set is for which type. Ctrl+shift+Arrow is for jumping forward 30 seconds (backward 10 seconds), while Ctrl+Arrow is for FF/REW. True for all three types.

Yes I understand. The problem though is that the various ways to seek don't all work reliably with ALL video types. This is what this is all about. Jump seek is the only reliable way to seek video on all the systems I've tried. But then there's dvd......

Well, it is problematic only if you try to use it in quick succesions, i.e. trying to use it as FF/REW. CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW is still useful for occasional jumping forward for 30 seconds. The whole issue is that DVD commands are asynchronous, and the commands do not immediately take effect after you issue them.

The issue of course is that once you get used to using ff/rew for other video types, people are going to use it the same way when watching dvd. More often than not, in fast succession. Therefore, it will continue to cause problems.

What about an option (DARE I SAY IT) in the dvd playback options page to choose how the seeks are performed? CTRL+SHFT+ARROW as the default (since this is the most reliable) ?
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 04:27:23 pm »

I think what raym was saying is that using Control+Arrow to skip ahead 3 minutes (or back 3 minutes) with your average XviD AVI files causes MC to brain hemmorage (and is generally MUCH slower than just using the Control+Shift+Arrow method).  The opposite is true for DVD playback.  So, we need to teach our users (wives and children) not to pound on FF/RW when watching a DVD.  Problem is, MC makes DVD vs. Video playback so seamless that no one but us knows which is which.   ;)

I also think raym was primarily referring to Remote Control based usage, as opposed to keyboard usage.  My remote has only two sets of FF/RW buttons.  It has the "track forward/back buttons" (with the line) and the "FF/RW buttons" (no line).  I'd guess this is about as much as you can expect for a remote control (none are going to have 3 methods).  I have these set to:

Next/Prev Track = with line
Control+Shift+Arrow = no line (regular FF/RW)

That means that I have effectively NO WAY TO FF/RW DURING DVD PLAYBACK with my remote, since the Shift+Arrow method doesn't work properly with DVDs.  The only option is to change our remote to use only Control+Arrow method, but this is far less than ideal for regular video playback (which, for me, is 99.99% of what I watch).

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 04:32:32 pm »

I think what raym was saying is that using Control+Arrow to skip ahead 3 minutes (or back 3 minutes) with your average XviD AVI files causes MC to brain hemmorage (and is generally MUCH slower than just using the Control+Shift+Arrow method).  The opposite is true for DVD playback.  So, we need to teach our users (wives and children) not to pound on FF/RW when watching a DVD.  Problem is, MC makes DVD vs. Video playback so seamless that no one but us knows which is which.   ;)

I also think raym was primarily referring to Remote Control based usage, as opposed to keyboard usage.  My remote has only two sets of FF/RW buttons.  It has the "track forward/back buttons" (with the line) and the "FF/RW buttons" (no line).  I'd guess this is about as much as you can expect for a remote control (none are going to have 3 methods).  I have these set to:

Next/Prev Track = with line
Control+Shift+Arrow = no line (regular FF/RW)

That means that I have effectively NO WAY TO FF/RW DURING DVD PLAYBACK with my remote, since the Shift+Arrow method doesn't work properly with DVDs.  The only option is to change our remote to use only Control+Arrow method, but this is far less than ideal for regular video playback (which, for me, is 99.99% of what I watch).

Bingo! Thankyou Glynor. You have got it all in one...
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 04:41:30 pm »

An option on DVD options to map CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW to FF/REW is in order.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 07:07:34 pm »

An option on DVD options to map CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW to FF/REW is in order.

Without doubt Yaobing, you are the man!!! Thankyou so much  :D
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 11:57:40 am »

In the next build:

NEW: DVD option "Swap Fast Play and Jump commands".

A word of warning:

Jump and FF buttons work a little differently from each other, as you may already know. Each time a jump button is pressed, video advances 30 seconds and resumes normal play. On the other hand, the first time FF button is pressed, video goes into fast play at 5x speed. Press the button again, video goes into 20x speed. The third time, it goes at 100x speed. To resume normal play, you have to either press the opposite arrow button or Play/Pause button.

Also, I did not make the option default in order to keep user interface as uniform as possible.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 04:26:54 pm »

Perfect! This is ideal and I can't wait to try it!

Thanks again.
Z-Wave Home Automation

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 04:53:58 pm »

NEW: DVD option "Swop Fast Play and Jump commands".
"Swop" should be "Swap"

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 05:10:20 pm »

"Swop" should be "Swap"

Thanks Jim. Changed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 06:18:06 pm »

Maybe it's a British spelling.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 07:48:42 pm »

Its a specification (profile) for printing with CMYK inks, as any graphic designer knows.  Specifications for Web Offset Publications.

http://www.auditmypc.com/acronym/SWOP.asp

http://www.swop.org/about/

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 09:45:51 pm »

And it is a kind of dance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swop