INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Tagging  (Read 1293 times)

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
DVD Tagging
« on: December 12, 2006, 10:16:57 pm »

I understand that the underlying DVD files, *.BUP*.IFO, *.VOB cannot have tags written to them.  This is a bore, especially when you have manually added information to custom library fields, like Cast, Synopsis or Production Credits.

So how about this for an idea.  As MC can store the cover art in the same directory, could these, or any custom tags, be written to the Folder.jpg file instead?

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Re: DVD Tagging
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 07:40:14 pm »

Does no one else worry about tagging DVD's?  Or is there perhaps another solution that others are using ( that still eludes me... )?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 05:52:23 am »

This isn't a bad idea, but MC would need to somehow recognise that folder.jpeg is linked to the video file and read the tag accordingly...

I'm more in favour of having a separate tag file for non-taggable formats, as this would work for any file type... Then if we import on another machine, MC could read the sidecar file which contains the tag info.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 07:53:06 am »

That's why MC manages everything in the library. Although desirable, there is no real need for writing tags to the files and some users here run completely tag-free files with no problem. Besides that, there is probably no standard for video and image files, e.g. MC has its own proprietary way of tagging jpg files, which is completely useless outside of MC.
On the other hand you can easily export tag infos into Excel Sheets to use somewhere else. Unfortunately, most other media applications do not allow to import tags from text files or Excel Sheets. At least I don't know any.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 08:13:44 am »

... MC has its own proprietary way of tagging jpg files, which is completely useless outside of MC...
There were no useful standards available when we began tagging jpg files.

MC12 supports the IPTC tag standard now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up