INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11 creating random image duplicates on import!  (Read 2382 times)

cmhaughey

• Recent member
Media Center 11 creating random image duplicates on import!
« on: December 19, 2006, 03:18:18 pm »

I've been using MC11 to manage my images for some time now without any issues.  Just last night, using Tools>Import Media, to pull in a few additional images, MC started creating seemingly random duplicates of the same file on disk.  Nearly each time I import, more of the same images (duplicates) are added to the library.  I have roughly 9600 images in the referenced folder, but performing subsequent import operations increments this value randomly (sometimes adding 0 duplicates, sometimes adding 1000+), and now I'm left with over 1700 images within my MC library (when I have no where near that many on disk).

I've attempted to purge the system by moving the images to a new folder (using explorer), then performing an import operation to cleanse MC of all files, moving the images back, and then re-importing.  All seems well for the first import, but subsequent imports produce yet again more duplicates.  On a related note, the tags of some (again, random) of the files are missing on import until I update the library from the tags.  What's going on?

Side note, though I don't believe it to be related - I've recently moved all of my images from my pc hard disk to an external hard disk, and all has worked well for a week or two.

Thanks,
Charles

cmhaughey

• Recent member
Re: Media Center 11 creating random image duplicates on import!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 10:29:44 pm »

Please Help!!  J River, are you listening?  I've seen a few posts with similar issues with no good resolution.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice, but MC still creates duplicates each time I import.  The product has become unusable.  Can anyone offer ANY insight?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 06:25:10 am »

I have roughly 9600 images in the referenced folder, but performing subsequent import operations increments this value randomly (sometimes adding 0 duplicates, sometimes adding 1000+), and now I'm left with over 1700 images within my MC library (when I have no where near that many on disk).

This info is contradictory. You have 9600 images "in the referenced folder" + the mentioned duplicates, MC adds randomly more duplicates, but you still have only "over" 1700 images within the library and you have even less images on the disk.
?

In my experience, MC does not add random duplicates. The bug threads would be full of reports about that. I guess many forum members would be happy to help, but your question does not contain any detailed information about your file structure, file formats, import settings (including the advanced settings), possible changes outside MC, possible changes in your procedure, etc, etc.

I've attempted to purge the system by moving the images to a new folder (using explorer), then performing an import operation to cleanse MC of all files, moving the images back, and then re-importing.  All seems well for the first import, but subsequent imports produce yet again more duplicates.  On a related note, the tags of some (again, random) of the files are missing on import until I update the library from the tags.  What's going on?

Side note, though I don't believe it to be related - I've recently moved all of my images from my pc hard disk to an external hard disk, and all has worked well for a week or two.

Hmm... this doesn't make answering any easier. You would need to provide exact step by step descriptions so that others could try to reproduce what you have experienced.

Generally, I would recommend using only MC's internal tools for moving files after they are imported. Normally MC can keep everything up-to-date.

Please Help!!  J River, are you listening?  I've seen a few posts with similar issues with no good resolution.

Can you provide links? Just the word "dublicates" does not mean that the issue is the same. As said, I have not experienced any duplicates issues.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice, but MC still creates duplicates each time I import.  The product has become unusable.  Can anyone offer ANY insight?

I hope that this means the issue is not random and can be reproduced and fixed or if it is not a bug, explained.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

cmhaughey

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:54:08 pm »

Hi Alex,

Let me begin by stating that my issue has been resolved.  The photo duplication seems to have been caused by some conflict between MC11 and iTunes; it seems that the two don’t like to share folders.  Though I suspect my problem was caused by iTunes, and is nothing that J River needs to react to, I’ll outline the issue for future reference.

I use MC 11.1.201 to manage photos (jpg), but I upload the photos to my iPod using iTunes.  My setup is relatively basic - all photos are contained in typical subfolders of a “My Pictures” folder on an external USB drive.  To upload photos to my iPod, I simply pointed the iTunes to some of the subfolders within the “My Pictures” folder.  After doing so, MC11 began displaying duplicate photos referencing the same jpg on disk each time I performed an Import Media operation (using default, out-of-the-box settings).  I have roughly 9600 jpg files, and MC11 displayed more and more images, randomly, each time I performed another Import Media - I’m not sure why my previous description was considered contradictory...

I realize that iTunes automatically creates an additional folder full of small, optimized photos for the iPod, but the MC11 duplicate issue persisted even after I pointed iTunes to another folder and deleted the iTunes-generated optimized photos.  It seems that iTunes maintained some presence in the “My Pictures” folder that caused MC11 to present random, duplicate photos.

Ultimately, the fix was to point iTunes back to the “My Pictures” folder, and then away again to another folder – this seemed to provide iTunes with the necessary “nudge” to clear any association that it had with the “My Pictures” folder, and MC now works fine.

Again, this issue appears to be caused by iTunes, and not by MC11.  If anyone experiences similar problems with duplicates and has iTunes installed, try “nudging” or uninstalling iTunes.

Following are links to related topics I spoke of earlier.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33200.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30141.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34878.0

Thanks for your response,

Charles 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 03:51:20 pm »

... I’m not sure why my previous description was considered contradictory...

The number 1700 is contradictory with 9600. Perhaps it's a typo and you mean 17000.

I have never used iTunes for any serious file handling so I cannot comment the rest, but if I understood correctly, your duplicate files were actually separate disk files in a subfolder that MC correctly found during import. Previously I assumed that your duplicates were ghost file entries that had identical filenames (including the directory paths).

Following are links to related topics I spoke of earlier.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33200.0

According to Mr ChriZ's screenshot the duplicated audio files were such "ghost" duplicates. He has not continued reporting about the issue so possibly it was resolved.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30141.0

The OP never told us if modelmaker's advice helped. I'd guess he had a corrupted database for some reason.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34878.0

As you can see, I did a lot of work in debugging this issue. After all the reason for the behavior was found. Now MC12 has a nice automatic cache feature that makes unnecessary to use that workaround for creating a secondary MP3 library.

Thanks for your response,

You're welcome, I hope your problem is now resolved and stays away.

P.S.

Personally I have avoided those predefined user specific folders under My Documents. I use simple paths as close as the drive root as possible. I have also the hidden and system files and the file extensions always visible (configured in the Windows Explorer options). It's easier to follow how different programs handle files when everything is visible and easily accessible.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:59:54 pm »

I never really worked out what caused it, or whether a certain build fixed it,
but I've definitley not seen the problem since moving to MC12, not that this
is much help to MC11 users.

cmhaughey

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 05:57:55 pm »

Ah yes, Alex - I meant to state 17,000 - apologies for not catching that on the re-read.  Thanks for the follow-up, and for the tips!

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up