INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving MC files to a new location  (Read 1718 times)

getgadgets

Moving MC files to a new location
« on: December 21, 2006, 02:32:40 pm »

Where is the number plays and last played date info stored? If I move my files from one PC to another, is there any way to bring that information along when I put the library on the new PC?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Number Plays and Last Played info
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 02:42:05 pm »

they're stored in the library database. the fields, oddly enough, are called [Number Plays] and [Last Played]

What brings you to say "It doesn't seem to be in the tag <-(correct) or the library." ?

getgadgets

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 02:47:56 pm »

Good question...I actually just tried restoring a backup of my library on the new pc and the info was of course there, which is why I edited my original message. But the problem I have is that since the path is different MC can't find the files in their new location.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 03:12:53 pm »

ahah!

Presuming that you kept the folder structure on the new pc the same as it was on the old one, and that the only thing that's changed is the "base path", you would select all files, right click, library tools, find/replace.

Click on the 'select none' button, then, in the list, find and select 'Filename'
In the find field, enter the old base path.
In the replace field, enter the new base path.
Click OK.

In but a few seconds, your library wil be re-linked with your music files.
================
The steps above have been presented with a rather cavalier attitude that assumes you understand what you're doing and why ;)

It assumes that:
all files that were on the old pc are on the new one, in the same basic folder structure.
that the library restore has just been performed and every file in the library is, as far as MC is concerned, missing.
perhaps try one or two files to begin with if you are not brimming with confidence, and once you are happy, select the lot and do them all.

Note that, if you use this method to fix broken file links in the library, MC updates it's [filename] records, then checks the new location to see if the files exist there, which they do, so everyone is happy. If you change the [filename] field for a file that MC has located and linked to, MC will actually move that file to the new address you have given it.

-marko.

getgadgets

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:45:20 pm »

I can understand and appreciate the attitude, and amazingly enough, I felt pretty good about the whole process and it looks like I'm good to go. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up