INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12.0.130 Expired?  (Read 2205 times)

Patrik

• Recent member
Media Center 12.0.130 Expired?
« on: December 21, 2006, 05:12:26 pm »

Hello,
I just downloaded Media Center 12.0.130 from http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html.  Installed it and went to start it as soon as I do its telling me its my 30 days has expired?

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 12.0.130 Expired?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:26:09 pm »

I experienced the same behavior, but just ahead and registered, which I had intended to do anyway.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:44:55 pm »

We've never been able to reproduce this.

Is there anything special about the machine? Are you running as administrator, Vista with UAC, etc.?  Is it possible the system clock or computer name got changed around?

For obvious reasons, we don't offer a way to reset the trial.  Perhaps you could try it on a second machine.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Patrik

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 10:55:55 pm »

After looking around I found that the date and year were WAY off when Ver 12 was installed.  If I set the time/date/year correctly it still not working...so Im out of luck as far as trying MC even if I uninstalled and reinstall?

Is there anything special about the machine? Are you running as administrator, Vista with UAC, etc.?  Is it possible the system clock or computer name got changed around?

For obvious reasons, we don't offer a way to reset the trial.  Perhaps you could try it on a second machine.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 02:42:09 am »

Yes. This is part of the behaviour of (at least almost) all types of software that needs registration. If not, people could just juggle the date/time and get unlimited trial time. Which is why I often (actually always) do an image backup before I install anything. That way, if I have made a mistake, I can go back to the image before the installation and install everything again, this time with the right settings. btw Patrik without a c - does that mean you're Swedish?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 05:15:13 am »

maybe mc should check the date when it is installed and correct it or worn the user before it is completely installed.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 05:43:29 am »

maybe mc should check the date when it is installed and correct it or worn the user before it is completely installed.
I have tv guide software provides these features, so it is possible. It actually has the ability to check and correct the pc clock every time it launches.

Patrik

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 09:25:06 am »

OK I will try it another PC.

German  ;)Patrik without a C is how its spelled in Germany, did not know they did that in Sweden as well :)

Yes. This is part of the behaviour of (at least almost) all types of software that needs registration. If not, people could just juggle the date/time and get unlimited trial time. Which is why I often (actually always) do an image backup before I install anything. That way, if I have made a mistake, I can go back to the image before the installation and install everything again, this time with the right settings. btw Patrik without a c - does that mean you're Swedish?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 10:49:02 am »

Oh yes. I'm Norwegian, but I know that in Sweden they say Paaatrik, with an a that sounds a bit like a longer version of the a in "verdammt".
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 11:20:52 am »

It happened here too when I first installed MC12.  Running as admin, time and date were correct.  XP SP2 and a recently rebuilt machine at the time (DBAN'ed the drive and reloaded everything).  I did have MC 11 installed on the system at the time.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 12:50:31 pm »

It happened to me too.  The system date was correct and MC 11 was installed on that PC.  MC 12 installed successfully on another PC that has only a few music files.  Not terribly useful to see if MC 12 is solid and is an improvement for me.

I posted a message about my experience.  The JRiver person who responded didn't seemed concerned beyond suggesting that I try installing on a different PC.  The purpose of a trial version  is to let the user see what he is getting.  If the trial doesn't work, the user isn't very motivated to upgrade.

Between this problem and the puzzling state of the MC 12 beta, I haven't purchased an upgrade.  Does JRiver actually want MC 11 users to purchase an upgrade to MC 12 right now?

Bill

Patrik

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 03:55:50 pm »

Yes I had v11 on my system at the time as well...seems when v11 has expired that we no longer can test any new versions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 04:04:41 pm »

Yes I had v11 on my system at the time as well...seems when v11 has expired that we no longer can test any new versions?
No.  MC11 and MC12 trials are separate.

Check this thread for odd problems on licensing and installations:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24031;start=0

You may find something similar.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 06:43:47 pm »

Check this thread for odd problems on licensing and installations:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24031;start=0

I didn't see anything relevant to my immediate problem but that thread is a fine resource.Thanks, Jim.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »

There's another possiblity that I'm thinking about.  We'll have to check it and it won't happen now for another week.

About the best you could do right now is to test on another PC.

Or just go for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up