INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 Migration and UPnP Devices  (Read 2056 times)

dhensley

• Recent member
MC 11 Migration and UPnP Devices
« on: December 23, 2006, 01:29:43 pm »

Hi,

I've been a user since the early Jukebox days. I recently had to migrate my MC11 off of a dying server onto a new server. I have a Roku Soundbridge that has been working flawlessly with MC for about 18 months. Now the Soundbridge sees the files and playlists, but when I attempt to play a file it says "Unable to play <title>".

Here's what I did:

1) Copy jriver directory in program files to new server
2) Copy files in docs and settings /  me / application data / jriver to new server
3) Copy files in docs and settings / me/ my documents / media center libraries to new server
4) Download MC 11.1.201 from jriver site to server and install
5) Restore license
6) Restore media library from backup using library manager
7) Use tools -> plugin manager to register flac encode and decode plugins up (FLAC_v1.3.0 and v1.6.0)--these were already in the directory due to the copy above. These look identical to those in the old server. Note that a lot of my stuff is flac, but I also tested with existing mp3s with the same results.
8) Set UPnP server options of: convert audio if necessary, mp3 encoder, VBR, High, Fast mode, port is unchecked, and receiver set to Roku Soundbridge

The Soundbridge sees the MC server, allows me to navigate playlists and artist/album trees, will allow me to select a song to play, then gives me the "unable to play <title>" message. This occurs on all titles, on both mp3 and flac files, using either playlists or direct song selection. The MC UPnP log shows that it is serving and converting the files.

I can bring up the old server and the Soundbridge still works flawlessly with it. It's running MC 1.11.196.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave in Dallas

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 11 Migration and UPnP Devices
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 01:32:31 pm »

Set UPnP server options of: convert audio if necessary, mp3 encoder, VBR, High, Fast mode, port is unchecked, and receiver set to Roku Soundbridge
Try "always convert" and try other MP3 settings.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 02:51:04 pm »

Make sure the tracks play in Media Center too.

j

dhensley

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 04:13:13 pm »

My bad. Apparently after the multiple blue screens caused by the backup program I'm trying to migrate, which caused the system volume to become corrupted, which required that I reinstall the OS, I forgot to change the drive letter of my data raid to the one MC expected. After the change, no problems.

John, thanks for the heads up on trying to listen directly--it just couldn't find the files.

One suggestion for the MC folks: if it can't find a file, note it in the UPnP log. Currently it looks like it is serving the file.

Now I can't decide if I should upconvert to MC12 (tried it and really like the new UI) or save my strength for troubleshooting the toxic backup program.

Cheers and thanks,

Dave in Dallas

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 06:56:36 pm »

Glad you got it resolved. I'll look at better reporting in the program, and I added the troubleshooting steps to the Wiki:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/UPnP_Server_and_Devices_%28Media_Receivers%29

j

dhensley

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 02:23:04 pm »

Thanks again John. BTW, the problem was toxic memory--apparently OCZ DDR2 memory won't run reliably at 1.8V.
Pages: [1]   Go Up