INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changed hard drives but not folders...  (Read 1612 times)

BroomQueen

• Recent member
Changed hard drives but not folders...
« on: December 26, 2006, 12:02:30 pm »

What I did, I copied the "my music" from the C: to my D: drive cuz I'm always screwing up my comp and having to reinstal and this way it's on a different drive than windows...so, since the folders are all the exact same except C is now D is there a way to change all the albums at one time so I don't have to go through and change like 100 albums? Thanks!

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Changed hard drives but not folders...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 12:45:14 pm »

Broomie--

Sure there is!  Go to your default "audio" view.  Does one of the columns you have there say "Filename"?  You need to see the entire path, from "C:\" to ".wav".  If you don't have a "filename" column, add it by right-clicking/customize current view.

Go to your "filename" column and start by selecting ONE track (we'll start with only one).  When you're in the "filename " column, right-click/library tools/find and replace.  You want to FIND "c:\" and replace with "d:\".  Once the name is changed, you should see the icon for a file present, and should be able to play it.  Try playing it to be sure.

If one works, try ten, then a hundred, then let fly with your whole library.  This operation is easy to mess up (I have), but easy to recover from also.

Here's a tip:  If you have files you haven't moved yet, you can do that totally within MC.  Right click/library tools/rename from properties.  Here you can rename a batch of tracks to d:\<artist>\<album>\<track>, etc etc etc.

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 01:06:25 pm »

There sure is!

In Library Tools you can use Find and Replace.

You can use this feature to rename a drive path. If you have moved all your files onto a new drive, search for the old drive and/or path name, and replace with the new drive and/or path name.

Find: C, Replace with D.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 01:51:28 pm »

be careful when manipulating filenames with MC.

jgreen's advice is good, but only applies when using the [filename (path)] field. Using the [filename] field will only work for single selections, not multiple selections.

modelmaker's advice is also good, and is my preferred tool for this job, but, find C:, replace with D: otherwise you could find yourself with some albums by the likes of Darly Simon, Deline Dion, etc. etc.
I'm sure you're able to follow the logic.

If you need more help, then just shout :)

BroomQueen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 02:13:35 pm »

Hey thanks guys that worked like a charm ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up