INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving / Duplicating files  (Read 2661 times)

yertle1302

Moving / Duplicating files
« on: December 28, 2006, 04:01:57 pm »

Good day,

I have finally "cleaned up" 31,000 MP3s - all of which are part of CDs not individule downloads. I have about 150 Various Artist CDs (i.e. Best Rock of the 90s) which I have bunched all together in a Various Artist folder. While cleaning up my library by simply using Microsoft Explorer I was finding that that iTunes (previous media manager) spread out the songs on a various artist CD into the artist that sang the songs folder.  For instance - Best Rock of the 90s has Beck:Loser.mp3, Clownfish:Smokehouse.mp3 plus 13 others artists.  iTunes would import the CD and create a folder Beck and put the song Loser.mp3 in there then create another folder Clownfish and put the song Smokehouse.mp3 in there and continue this until the 15 songs sat in 15 folders.

SOOOO... I cleaned all of this up and removed duplicates as well as consolidated all of these CDs back into 1 place. Now I have Various Artist Folder > Best Rock of the 90s Folder > all of the mp3s.

When I import the music library into JRiver Media Center it started doing the same thing. Is there a setting that I can change to prevent this from happening and leave my library untouched?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving / Duplicating files
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 04:04:35 pm »

I think this happens when playlists are imported, and the files within that play list is imported
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 04:28:05 pm »

MC deals with multiple artist albums really well, as long as they are tagged as "Multiple Artists".

If you import just the files that are from multiple artist albums, and then select them all,
then change the "Album Artist" tag to (Multiple Artists) MC will should recognise the albums
as such. 

yertle1302

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 03:35:25 am »

Will give that a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the replies!

penngray

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 08:01:18 am »

Any luck with this...Im currently building my JRiver library and all my "Various Artist" CDs get a album per artist.

Ie...Absolutely 90s CD has an album cover for each song because the artist is different.

I want to keep info about the artist but I think its really annoying that JRiver wont just create one album.

I tried to figure out the "Multiple Artists" above but I have had no luck in creating one album.

Thanks
Doug

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 10:57:13 am »

As Mr. Chriz said, just fill the Album Artist field with what you want the album to be organized under. In your case it sounds like Various Artist so put that in the Album Artist field and MC will organize all of that album under that name.
Jeff

penngray

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 11:30:39 am »

Yes, I can change the artist name to "various artist" and it will make it all one album but I wanted to have the artist name.

I do have some albums with multiple artist that only show as one album ie...Saturday night fever but multiple artist CDs like Top Hits of the 70s, Buzz Bin and so on all dont do that. I wonder if its because Saturday night fever is a soundtrack.

penngray

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 11:33:00 am »

or it could be the fact that I dont have some of those in proper folders....let me check.
Pages: [1]   Go Up