INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Sync or Automated Import  (Read 1254 times)

DanielSiegel

Live Sync or Automated Import
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:54:50 am »

I am trying to find a way to "live sync" to another program's Library, such as iTunes.
A less desirable alternative would be to automate a periodic import from the iTunes Music folder.

Is there a way to do this with MediaCenter (11, 12, etc)?

For example, I maintain a Library in MediaCenter 11 that is the primary database for a whole-house music server.
But, other family members use iTunes on their own computers on the network (frequently adding songs to their libraries).
I can import their songs at any given time into MediaCenter (whether or not I actually copy the song files), but the problem is that this is a "static" view of their library which does not account for additions to these libraries over time.
So, it would be ideal to be able to "live sync" to an Itunes library or, as a simpler alternative (which wouldnt require understanding the iTunes library "data structure"), to automate an import from their iTunes Music folder (rather than having to periodically perform a manual import to update MediaCenter).

Any ideas?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: Live Sync or Automated Import
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 03:30:11 pm »

The best suggestion is to switch them over to MC.

The fundamental issue you have to cope with is trying to keep the iTunes library in sync with what you have in MC.  iTunes has no feature to monitor folders, nor features to pick up changes made from other applications.  I cannot even see how to fix the library when tracks are physically removed from the system.

I did some research and found 2 products that may help.  Note: I have not tested them myself.  They can be found here:

iTunes Library Updater
http://itlu.ownz.ch/wordpress/?page_id=2

iTunes Folder Watch
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=2671716

If you try these out, let us know if they work.  I'm sure others would like to manage everything in MC but still be able to see the tracks in iTunes.

Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up