INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video iPod, M4V files and MC 11  (Read 1559 times)

digiggy

Video iPod, M4V files and MC 11
« on: December 31, 2006, 04:28:09 pm »

I've got a new video iPod and HATE iTunes. I much prefer managing my media and iPod with MC 11. But, I've bought some TV shows with iTunes. I can't manage these with MC 11 so I'm left managing my audio with MC 11 and my video with iTunes. The problem is that if I have both video and audio files on my iPod and upload some more audio files with MC, the video files are erased and have to be re-uploaded with iTunes.

I've done some searches on this board and have found some work-arounds that hinge on drag-dropping the video files into MC and then tweaking the tags. Whenever I try to drag-drop the M4V files of the TV shows I've purchased onto MC, nothing is imported. Through Options I've told MC to recognize and manage M4V files but it still doesn't see them. Are there some other work-arounds that work? And, will MC 12 support video purchased from iTunes?

I love MC and would love to manage all of my media and my iPod with it rather than having to rely on the buggy, consistently crashing iTunes.

Thanx,
Robb

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video iPod, M4V files and MC 11
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 05:45:38 pm »

MC12 has considerably different support for the iPod, so it is worth a try.  It will co-exist with MC11 (no need to uninstall 11).

digiggy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 09:06:58 am »

I've installed the MC 12 beta and it won't import my m4v files either. Is there a problem with my machine or is this support not in MC 12 yet?

tgack

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:37:15 pm »

Based off of other forum posts it appears they cannot get Media Center (even version 12 the last time I saw or tried a few weeks ago) to playback the DRM-protected m4v files that are purchased and downloaded from iTunes.  Apparently the Quicktime engine will not play these back within the MediaCenter application.

I agree this creates a burden with all of the TV shows I have downloaded from iTunes.  I wonder if they could at least find a way to let us import the DRM protected m4v files into Media Center and transfer them to iTunes even though we cannot play them back directly within Media Center.  This would at least let us use MediaCenter as the sole method of transferring files to iPod (instead of relying on iTunes).  Even better would be if we could import the files to MediaCenter but somehow specify that they open with a 3rd party application when playing them within MediaCenter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up