INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: audio still looping !!!!!  (Read 907 times)

gkerber

audio still looping !!!!!
« on: September 02, 2002, 05:02:44 pm »

The audio on my system still goes into a fast loop for a few seconds every few hours.  Can I be the only one with the problem?

I have been listening to APE format and have never noticed it on mp3 (yet).

How could this be anything other than the player, MJ?  How could the sound card drivers cause this?  I really do suspect the MJ player, maybe the MJ APE player.

Maybe someone with more knowledge about drivers could tell me how it could be the sound card driver??  I would think the sound card is pretty stupid and just passes what it gets from the player???

I suppose I'll have to listen to some mp3 stuff for a few hours to see if I hear the looping on mp3 or just ape format.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:audio still looping !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2002, 05:11:09 pm »

Are you using Direct Sound or Wave Out in MJ -> Options -> Playback?

Direct Sound "loops" when it runs out of data.  Is it possible that there isn't enough bandwidth to play the APE file occasionally, so it sputters/loops?  Network congestion or something?

Let us know.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gkerber

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 05:20:27 pm »

I'm using "wave-out".  I am using an Audiophile2496 card, using its digital connection direct to my audio system.  There is no network involved, the hd containing the music is on the same system as the sound card.

The looping occurs at random times at random places in the music, never in the same place in the track, or the same track (other than by chance).

The looping occurs when I am using the computer for other tasks and when the only thing it's doing it playing music, and I'm in another room.

My system is pretty powerful, so it's hard to believe its a computer power problem.  It's hard to tell, but when the looping stops, after a few seconds, it seems like it doesn't pick up at the same place.

Are there any secret logging features I can turn on to help figure this out (I always add low level diag logs to my unix server programs at the office).

And I still have the problem, after downloading and installing 26mb (!!!) of Windows updates for XP.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.356
Install Path: C:\Program Files\MediaJukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1667 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 246 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2002, 05:28:11 pm »

My M-Audio -> SPDIF -> Sony amp used to loop every once in a while too.  I think it's the connection, because it never happens when I'm using headphones.

This doesn't really sound like an MJ problem -- especially since nobody else has reported it.  Sounds like a hardware or connection thing to me.

Does anybody else have any ideas?

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gkerber

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2002, 05:42:07 pm »

I have adjusted the playback to be "more skip resistent".  Do you think this may help?

Hard to believe it's the physical connection. The computer/sound-card shouldn't even "know" if there is something on the other end of the cable  reading the signal.

Please keep thinking about this (late at night when you have nothing else to do) and let me know if you get any other ideas.  (do you ever think about your code when away from the office, kind of in the background?  I do...)

I'll let you know if the "more skip resistent" setting seems to help.

Thanks

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2002, 05:43:03 pm »

And while I have your attention, any chance of getting MJ to burn 99 minute cdr blanks?
Pages: [1]   Go Up