INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracks of burned audio CD don't start at beginning  (Read 1667 times)

TomG

• I might be a porcupine.
Tracks of burned audio CD don't start at beginning
« on: January 06, 2007, 12:00:27 pm »

Burned from playlist.  DSP was set for gapless, if seek to say track#3 of the burned CD in a cd player it starts 5-10 seconds into the track, used to work fine for MC9 and 10, source files are WMA lossless, any clue what may have changed and how to have tracks begin at the start?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Tracks of burned audio CD don't start at beginning
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 04:28:42 am »

Audio CD burning has worked fawleslly for me, but I never use DSP.

Am I correct if I assume that you switched the DSP effects on and selected the Gapless mode? It is unnecessary because the default audio CD burning mode is already gapless. MC burns files as they are without adding any pauses between the tracks. Some lossy source formats may not decode gaplessly, but WMA Lossless should be fully gapless so no DSP is needed for reproducing the original track length.

Please post your system info from MC's Help menu and exact details of your procedure. I could try to reproduce the problem on my system.

Some questions:
Did you also have the "Omit silent sections..." selected in the DSP options?
Have you installed Windows Media Player v.11? (WMP11 installs new Windows Media codec versions.)
Did you try the disc on a standard stand-alone CD player?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

TomG

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:25:40 pm »

Thanks for the response.  I did have on "Omit silent sections.." and turning that off fixed the problem of having tracks start after the beginning as tested in a number of standalone CD players.  So in a technical sense that solves the problem, but at the same time I know that in previous versions of Media Center (9 and 10) with "Omit silent sections.." turned on the tracks of a burned CD did start at the beginning, and the resulting effect of sounding more like a radio broadcast is desirable.  I have not upgraded to WMP version 11 (hesitant to get the "genuine advantage", although using legal software).  I do have a version of Media Center 9 on another computer and could use that to burn CDs as before, but I wonder if importing files into MC 9 that have been modified by Media Center 11 would create compatability problems?  Thanks for your help.  The system info is here:
Media Center Registered 11.1.196 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2980 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 356 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: TEAC     DVD+RW DV-W58E     Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /

TomG

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 08:36:40 pm »

This is a follow up to the last post -- I was able to get the tracks to start at the beginning with "Omit Silent Sections.." turned on by having Write-CD Text turned off.  That is apparently what was different from using previous versions 9 and 10.  It wasn't the version difference per se, but that they were used without Write-CD text.  At least that is my theory.  Depending on where the cd-text is written it could make sense.  Or it could be that toggling "Omit Silent Sections.." had an effect.  Sometimes its hard to tell where theory ends and superstition begins.  Maybe, it was some other factor.  I will post again if I discover anything.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up